Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Tiny Needle Tuesday 8/1/23

 Hello Everyone,

It's August!!  I'm excited.  Because, you know, I love Fall and now Fall seems pretty close.  Not trying to wish away my life, just admitting what I really like.

Yesterday Fletch picked more (more!!) cucumbers.  Three large ones.  The cuke plants are producing like zucchini.  We had wandered over to Rob's last night to drop off cake for him and Eva, but only Merlin (the Great Dane) came to the door.  We left cake for them on their porch and wandered back home.  I texted Rob to let him know about the cake and asked if they could use any cucumbers.  Fortunately his cuke plants are still at the point where they are deciding whether to produce or not.  He will get the three Fletch just picked later today.  

Just a few minutes ago, while I was fixing my first cup of coffee, a magnificent buck strolled across the back at the edge of our woods.  He looked so regal!  He didn't linger and I can't be sure how many points he was sporting - at least 6, maybe 8.  Gorgeous!  The bucks don't come down into the yard for apples...they leave those for the does and the fawns.

The first of August and a Tuesday - time for a TNT update.  A little progress was made on the Sampler aux Bouquets:


Remember you may click to make it big!

The interior of the heart has been finished, a flittering blue butterfly was added and an enclosed rose at the bottom was also added.  For some reason it makes me think of a cameo.  There is still an awful lot left to stitch on this piece - I don't think I am quite halfway finished yet!

And yet, I have another piece ready to start!  Colin sent me a cross stitch kit from Guadalupe National Park.  It is a Cactus Sampler - a triptych of cacti:  a Prickly Pear, an Ocotillo and a Claret Cup.  The kit came with Aida cloth which I don't stitch on (my eyes make the holes jump), but I found some linen in my stash which I think will work.  I need to iron it and double check the size, but I'm hoping to maybe start this new piece this afternoon.

If it doesn't get too hot (I don't think it is supposesd to today), we have more weeding to do in the front bed around the lilac.  There is a ton of poison ivy too.  I've never had poison ivy (despite trying to get it as a kid - wacky, I know), but Fletch only has to look at the leaves and he breaks out in a rash, so I guess that part is up to me.  Even though I seem to be immune to it, I will don gloves and be cautious.

Meanwhile though, I need to wake up and get moving!  I've got a dentist appointment (routine cleaning appointment) at 8:30.  Happy August Everyone!

16 comments:

  1. Your sampler is coming along nicely; I really like the heart and rose. Rob is lucky to have you as a neighbor. My neighbors have never dropped off cake and cukes, but I wish they would!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I have both cucumbers and zucchini growing and haven't gotten a single one from either, despite lots of flowers! I'm sure that means that in a few weeks I'll have more than I can possibly use and will be foisting produce off on my neighbors as well. I am more enchanted by this sampler every time you share a progress photo, though I can't imagine how big it will be in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine having a buck stroll through the yard. What a nice way to start the morning.

    Your cross stitch is beautiful. I wouldn't mind living in a house like that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd probably faint if I saw a buck stroll through my yard. How wonderful!

    I'd take anyone's zucchini right now. Love that stuff.

    Your sampler is gorgeous. So much is happening in it, yet it manages to look elegant and not cluttered at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That stitching, Vera! Wow wow wow! I love hearing about your back yard visitors! We have all kinds of poison ivy in our yard, it is impossible to get rid of... I have tried and tried and tried. Sigh. My suggestions though is invest in a bar of Fels Naptha Soap... it is the best thing to get rid of the oils of poison ivy (especially since Fletch is so allergic!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that sampler so much! You are really chugging away at it. I still can't believe how fast you finished that house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing your stitching on Tuesdays. I have a little stitch project brewing for August too. Nothing so elaborate but should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope the dentist visit went well. Your stitch project is so beautiful. I've never been able to stitch on linen. I can't see where to put the stitches. I was so allergic to poison ivy as a kid and it was everywhere in our neighborhood. I had to get shots every week to help control the breakouts. It was awful. In Washington we didn't have as much of it so I was able to stop the injections. So far, so good since we moved back.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you make great progress in the yard today--it is such a good kind of tired at the end of a job like this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful sampler: I enjoy seeing your weekly progress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a son to send you a cross stitch project! Love your work and I am nearly done with mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It keeps getting prettier and prettier! My cukes are noncommittal too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The sampler is beautiful. How thoughtful of your son to send you a needlework project. My cucumber vines have exploded. Take care around that poison ivy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. No. Not happy August! Our cukes are very long and prolific so far. No more ordinary sour cream topping. Bought the ranch dip packet, added to a sour cream container, and we're smucking it up with the cukes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your sampler is looking great! I picked a HUGE bowl of beans tonight. The snap peas has slowed a bit, but I imagine they will get going again soon.

    I don't envy you playing in the poison ivy... I am terrified of getting it again and am amazed there wasn't any in the yard when we moved here!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had a busy day yesterday and missed out on my daily blog reading . . . so I'm late to the party. I am so enamored with the notion of a cacti sampler, Vera!!! I can't wait to see it -- it sounds like such fun. And so unique! We have bits and bobs of poison ivy that pop up all over the garden. Like you, I've never been bothered by it (although I'm SUPER careful around it, so that might be why) -- but Tom is like Fletch. He had a bad bout with it when he was coaching Erin's soccer team back in the day, and it's been a problem for him every since. Be careful, my friend!

    ReplyDelete