Thursday, August 10, 2023

Some Miracles!!

 Good Morning!

Bambi and Peter (Cottontail) are both grazing peacefully in the back yard as I type this.  Plenty of apples and clover for everyone!

My washer is not one of the miracles.  Still not working.  I called for service and someone will be out - but not until next Thursday!  Luckily we have sufficient underwear and other clothes to last us for an even longer period of time...hopefully it will not come to that.

Our little wren babies have finally fledged!  I watched one of them leave the nest - so cool!  Our afternoons on the patio are much quieter now - no chattering wren babies and no parents flying in with food.

Now for the miracles!!  Our winds the other night knocked over a few things in the garden.  When Fletch went out to make sure everything was ok, he noticed figs beginning to form on our fig tree!  Woo-Hoo!


If you click to enlarge, you will see the figs forming along the stem/trunk.  We had been worried because Figgy (the tree) is about half the size it is normally by now.  I'm so happy we will at least have some fruit.

The other plant that was knocked over was our hibiscus.  Fletch had counted 15 (15!!!) buds on it the day before the storm.  He had to stake the plant up, but look what appeared the next day:


What a deep, rich color!  As of yesterday a second bloom was fully open and a third partially open.  The plant is a wonder...yes, a miracle, this year.

OK, that's it for me today.  I'm late getting started and I have all of my usual Thursday reports to run and distribute.  Wishing you all a wonderful Thursday - enjoy!!

16 comments:

  1. Aw, look at those sweet little baby figs! I hope you get to enjoy some of them soon. I'm constantly amazed at how resilient nature can be, but I suppose that's kind of the point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your fig and hibiscus miracles! I'm picturing your yard as some sort of Peaceable Kingdom with the deer and rabbits grazing together. I hope it's a peaceful Thursday (and maybe a washer miracle will happen before next Thursday)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a long time to be without your washer. Been there myself. Fingers crossed that you don't have to resort to other means.

    I'm glad that your fig tree is finally producing for you. That hibiscus is so lovely. I got yelled at by some wrens yesterday as I was cutting some herbs in the garden. They can be so loud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so sad about your washer. Brand new! They sure don't make appliances the way they used to me do they?
    Baby Figs! How fun is that? I hope you get them and not one of your yard visitors and the hibiscus is gorgeous.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bummer about the washer. The hibiscus is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen figs growing before, thanks for sharing what they look like. That is a gorgeous hibiscus, too. Have a great day, Vera!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been thinking about figs because I saw a goat cheese and fig pizza recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing better than fig jam on toast on a winter morning! I sure miss my old fig tree.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's amazing how much plants can take what nature throws at them. We had hardly any casualties from the big storm - mostly just a few things that needed a couple days to bounce back

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun to have fresh figs! I wish some trees would blow over here and improve our view. I'm stunned that they can be so solid in 50+ mph winds, but I guess that is what you need to do to thrive on the coast.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You lucky gal. My fig trees looked dead and we almost pulled them out, all of sudden new branches formed. I read that fruit is possible in its second year. Nope. I'm lucky it has leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am hoping your washer is a quick (and inexpensive) fix! And I am so glad your fig tree survived the winds! All those baby figs... so so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gardens . . . are always doing something magical, aren't they??? Sorry about your washer, though. (Sadly, they are not usually magical . . . ) XO

    ReplyDelete
  14. Washers!! when we moved here we were told that the old washer works if you nudge the dial to the next cycle. It did not and I was near tears. I bought a brand new one within a week of moving here and it's wonderful!!

    I am amazed what brings me near tears, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The resilience of plants!! good thing, too! Sorry about the washer!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry about the washer, what a pain!
    The hibiscus is a gorgeous colour!
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete