Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Unraveled Wednesday 8/23/23

 Good Morning My Friends,

There is a chill in the air this morning:


Just 56 degrees.  I opened the back door to the patio several times (scaring Peter Rabbit) to put papers and berry containers in the recycling can and it felt delightful!  Yesterday was glorioius - I don't think it got much above 81.  Fletch spent the afternoon planting 5 rows of lettuce and spinach for the Fall!  We also found more giant cucumbers hiding on the vine - lol.

So hard to believe that this is the next to the last August Wednesday!  And it is time, of course, to link up with Kat and her merry Band of Unravelers to talk making and reading.  Luckily no unraveling for me this week.  I think I spent more time stitching (see yesterday's post) than knitting, but a little bit of progress is evident.  The Shakerag Skirt may look much like last week, but it is actually double in size now!  Yup - last week I think 10 rows had been knit and right now there are 20 that are finished.


I actually found myself getting into a rhythm with this and was able to knit multiple rows in one sitting.  One thing I sort of knew, but this has confirmed:  I much prefer K2tog rather than SSK.  K2tog just is so much easier (and, thus, faster) for me.

The second Allsorts sock is progressing too...a bit slowly, but increasing bit by bit.


I'm on the gussett decreases and once they are completed this should speed up.  Naturally when working on it last night I discovered a dropped stitch and luckily I was able to bring it up successfully.

Moving on to my reading.  I finished Tom Lake and liked it.  I thought it was good (but still it seemed a little soap opera-ish to me).  Agreeing with Bonny, I wish there had been more about Joe and less about Duke and St. Sebastian.  At the same time, I guess all those words about Duke and St. Sebastian were necessary for the story.

Several weeks ago Kat mentioned THIS BOOK so I put myself in the queue for it.  Last week it came in.  What a tome it is.  Literally!  It is a huge book (and very heavy).  I confess that I skimmed it - did not read every page, but what magnificent pictures.  Fletch really enjoyed looking at it as well.

Currently I am reading Horse by Geraldine Brooks and loving it.  I'm just halfway through and am finding it a very engaging read.  Fletch and I gave up on the 2nd Master & Commander book.  I honestly didn't have much interest in it, but Fletch got tired of it as well, so we moved on.  We are now reading The Broken Road by Patrick Leigh Fermor.  The author, in 1933, set off to walk across Europe - starting in the hook of Holland and ending up in Constantinople!  Imagine doing that (and just before the war!).  This is the third book in the trilogy by him of his journey (we had read the first two some time ago).  It is not a book that would appeal to everyone, but we are enjoying it a lot.

I'm excited to let you know that our figs are growing - now larger than marbles!!


Probably best to click and enlarge.

And our hibiscus was really putting on a show yesterday.  It is at the edge of the garden enclosure (right next to the fig) and we can easily see the blooms from the patio.


And that's it for me this Wednesday.  I've a busy day ahead of me with a doctor's appointment at 8:30 and then I (finally) made an appointment to have my hair cut this afternoon.  Not sure how much (or how little), but I'm pretty bored with always pulling it up into a ponytail or a messy bun.  Tme for a change!!

Be sure to hop over to Kat's for a bunch of inspiration and have a wonderful Wednesday!

17 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that the skirt is moving on a little faster now. I think once you get past the lace and into the stockinette, it'll fly. I really enjoyed Tom Lake and Horse; both authors are favorites of mine. I've discovered one surprise zucchini in the past several days but no surprise cucumbers. I guess it's not a pickle year for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice and cool here this morning also, which I'm quite thankful for nearing the end of August. I can tell your skirt is growing and you'll soon have a lovely pair of socks. I think I started Horse a while ago but had an avalanche of holds and it got whisked back to the library. I'm looking for something to read, so thank you for the recommendation. Grow figs, grow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great going on your skirt! (those long rows to start take forever!) Your figs though... wow! They are doing great! I am in the queue for Horse but still a few weeks out (it is the back end of that avalanche! lol)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you're getting going on the Shakerag Skirt, Vera. Trust me . . . once you get past the border/lace section and start just stockinette-for-miles, it all goes much faster and doesn't require so much concentration. (Something to look forward to?) I always think Ann Patchett is a bit "soap-opera-ish" . . . and sometimes more than others . . . but I really enjoyed Tom Lake. It seems the perfect summer read. (But maybe I'm biased, because I'm a Michigander.) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't started Tom Lake yet, but all the blogger reviews are making me glad I have it.

    Looks like you had a pretty good knitting week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love when the project stops looking bunchy on the needles and settles into some length. Looks like you're almost at that point on Shakerag.

    Hooray for figs coming along. Oddly, my basil is over already. I think our ceaseless rains for days did it in. The stems got woody and brown, and now it's just done. It sure happened early this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The chill in the air was most welcome this morning. The Mister's actually going out to play golf so I'll have some alone time. Yippee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. our weather today is nice! My walk was a blissful 64 degrees and NO SUN. The sun is what drains me and my autoimmune disease. Lovely knitting :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some progess is better than no progress on your skirt. Your weather sounds so wonderful. Yesterday was 99 and "feels like" of 119F. Today and tomorrow are supposed to be the same. And we woke up to our AC not working yesterday. No repairman for a day or two at least because of the high heat. They're running around like crazy. Then I had a flat tire in the middle of the afternoon yesterday. Hottest part of the day. There were several other not so fun things scattered throughout the day. I'm ready for this heat to be over. It exhausts me and we can't even escape it at home. It is bound to get better, right?
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Figs and hibiscus! I am a bit envious. Fig and goat cheese pizza is on my list

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have Horse somewhere so will have to dig that out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man, it's going to be 99F here today. The temp & humidity rose so quickly this morning that all of our windows fogged up!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like your needles (stitching and knitting) have been very productive this week. I have another scrap sock yarn hat in the works, but progress is slow. I loved the video of the sparrows playing in the fountain - adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know everyone says those long rows of the skirt get easier, I hope that's the case for you as well. I really loved Tom Lake and Horse is just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Strong work on that skirt. Sometimes it takes awhile to find a rhythm but it sure helps a project along. My local group will be reading Horse in either October or November. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I still have Horse on my (unread) shelf - a signed copy! and look forward to reading it ... at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't noticed any cooling down yet--enjoy the break in the weather! The progress really shows on the skirt!

    ReplyDelete