Monday, July 24, 2023

Weekending 7/24/23

 Hello and Good Morning!

How are you and how was your weekend.  Mine was excellent~~!

Saturday morning I met up with Dee of course and that was delightful.  A very pleasanat older woman (probably she was our age!) stopped to comment on our knitting and when she left said she was going to call her sister and tell her they needed to get back to knitting.  Ha!  Later that day I made a strawberry/rhubarb/blueberry crisp.  Oh my!


Fletch gave me the ultimate compliment saying it was so good that he didn't even need whipped cream!

Sunday I managed a 3+ mile walk alongside the canal.  I ventured out right after breakfast so it hadn't gotten to the stinking hot level, but I was still drenched by the time I got home.  There were a number of people out and about - some walking, some jogging, some in kayaks and some on paddleboards, some on bikes and then 2 guys who were wading in the river.  As I was on my return walk those 2 guys came up onto the trail...their jeans and sneakers were covered in mud!  There were no blue herons that I saw and not as many turtles as usual.  My pace was a little faster than usual and today I am paying the price.  I had hoped to walk this morning, but my right thigh is very tight and stiff, so I will skip an early morning walk.  I have plenty to do around here...the bathrooms need to be cleaned, the kitchen floor needs to be swept and there are 4 garden cukes on the counter - time to make some pickles!

I also received a most wonderful surprise on Friday.  Leslie, Jaimie and Emory were driving back to PA from RI and Leslie texted asking if they could stop by...that they had something of Mom's to give to me.  I've told you all many times how Leslie's Mom was my second Mom (and my Mom was Leslie's 2nd Mom).  The girls showed up just after 5 and brought me this:


This was Mom's knitting/crocheting/sewing basket!  And it is filled with so many goodies.  Here's looking in one side:


I have not gone through it all yet, but there are knitting needles, crochet hooks, seam rippers (at least 3), scissors (both pinking and regular - there are at least 8 pairs of scissors), a darning egg, some snaps, some thread, etc., etc.  Even glue sticks for a hot glue gun!  Oh, and a leather punch.  A treasure trove for sure.  My Mom taught me to knit, but Leslie's Mom taught me to crochet.  We shared a love of sewing too and this is just such a wonderful gift.  I'm thrilled to have it.

So, as I said earlier, an excellent weekend!  Let me hear how yours was.  

17 comments:

  1. what a treasure!! I have all of my mom's knitting stuff including her binder of notes of all the things she knit for the kids. It's a trip down memory lane. How nice they thought of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing gift! I'm sure going through all that brings back happy memories, and finding some useful tools is just a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a truly special gift. I know you'll cherish it and the memories it brings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The craft basket is beautiful. It's full of happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful basket! Such a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That basket is full of tools AND memories, what a wonderful gift! And your berry crisp looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful basket and how thoughtful of them to know you would love to have it. The fruit crisp looks so good. I would love just a bite please. :-)
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. The walk sounds grueling but still nice to be out and about! The sewing basket is incredible; so happy for you to have the gift!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is an amazing gift, for so many reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an incredible gift, Vera! I am so glad you had such an amazing weekend! XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. That basket is simply wonderful and I'm so glad Leslie brought it for you! And that fruit crisp and you and Dee inspiring more knitters makes a terrific weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a fantastic weekend ... that started last week (I do love that you report fully on all the wonderful meals!) and the knitting basket is ... wow ... a treasure!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely gift from your friend. What a treasure to have those things. I have my Grandmother's knitting needles and a few of my Mom's leftover quilting fabrics. The dessert looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now that is a wonderful gift for you, Vera! What fun to explore all the treasures -- and how wonderful to use (or display or just touch) things that a very special person in your life also used. A truly thoughtful gift! (And I'll take some of that crisp, please. With or without whipped cream!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, what a wonderful gift!! I love those sorts of treasure boxes. Excellent weekend, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an absolute treasure!!! I've still got my mom's here. It's like walking down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fabulous basket! But even more, the sentiment and treasures inside. Such a special surprise.

    ReplyDelete