Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Unraveled Wednesday 7/12/23

 Hello and Good Morning!

It's Wednesday and you know what that means:  time to link up with Kat and her Merry Band of Unravelers to talk making and reading.

I am so happy to have something other than a big green blob to share with you!  Look, look, look!


Yes my friends!  Finally the first PairFect sock has been finished and the second started. Woo-Hoo.  Let's hope that PairFect #2 does not take as long to knit as #1 did (over 3 weeks...).  There has also been a small amount of knitting on the green blob Hitchhiker, but I will spare you yet another picture of that.

Moving on to the reading side of things, I did finish Hamnet.  Wow!  What a book.  Sad but beautiful.  Maggie O'Farrell has such a way with language.  Sitting on my nightstand is another book by O'Farrell (Instructions for a Heat Wave) that I am looking forward to digging into.  Meanwhile I tried to read the cozy mystery I had taken out, but just could not get into it.  The writing was horrible (personal opinion).  Instead I picked up Weyward.  Almost halfway through it and I haven't figured out whether I like it or not.  LOL  I'll most likely finish unless it gets to be too much.

Fletch and I are continuing with H is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald.  Last Friday we got to the part where she tells her hawk's name:  Mabel.  That just about killed us as you can imagine.  You all may know this but we just learned that there is a hawk (Rufus) who chases pigions away from the Wimbledon tennis lawns!

A quick wrap for me.  I need to head to the office to meet up with Bruce early this morning.  Going there of course also means a stop at Trader Joe's and the liquor store!  Have a great Wednesday - we are now on the down slope towards the weekend!!

12 comments:

  1. hurray for a sock being finished and onto the next one!! I've been reading mysteries and enjoying the whodunit plot lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your socks are looking great! I bet the BGB is also, but I know what it's like to reach the "I can't wait to be done" stage of a Hitchhiker. I can't wait to finish my BBB and work mainly on my Hitch on the Move. I also got Weyward from the library but like you, I can't decide if I'm going to keep reading. I feel like I've reached the summer doldrums in reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that second sock just zooms along! I'm in a similar place in my current pair, and I'm hoping that a board meeting I have tonight helps me make some progress.

    My other favorite Maggie O'Farrell (if you're looking for a recommendation) is The Hand That First Held Mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those socks look so good! I need to get a sock going so I have a "mindless knit" to pick up when needed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wasn't it bittersweet to finish Hamnet? How I wish that it was a forever book, one that I could read for the rest of my life. So, so beautiful in both writing and story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just loved Hamnet . . . and I'm so glad you did, too. XO And those are GREAT socks! (I love that your visits to see your boss also involve a trip to the liquor store!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving the socks. I am stuck on my second sock having forgotten everything I learned in the workshop. I shall have to have recourse to YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One down and one on the needles! That's a good place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good looking sock! But aren't they all?

    ReplyDelete
  10. These socks are really a superb design--nice job!

    ReplyDelete