Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Tiny Needle Tuesday 7/4/23

 Good Morning and Happy 4th of July!

Do you have big plans?  We do not.  I hope it is not too sultry today.  We will most likely do our grocery shopping...after all, the store is open and Tuesday is our Senior Discount day, so why not?

Yesterday, I am happy to tell you, I was able to get a sneaker on my foot comfortably and I did end up walking about 2.5 miles.  I would have gone a little further (to a certain bridge making it a 3 mile round trip walk), but there is a tree down across the path.  Too low to walk under and too high to step over.  I could crouch down to go under, but truthfully, after walking as far as I had I was worried about my back.  What if I crouched down and then couldn't get up?  Plus, I'd have to crouch down on the return trip.  So, instead I turned around and called it enough.  It was stinking hot anyway.  (Car showed 80 degrees when I arrived at the River Trail and was reading 89 when I left.)

Speaking of stinking hot, C&M's house felt like an oven to me.  I watered plants and Fletch fooled around with one of their doors and then we left.  The car while riding home showed a temp of 98.  Too stinking hot for me.  The orchid seems to enjoy the warmth though.  More blooms!!


That is lavender on the other side of the window - C&M planted an herb garden there and everything is thriving.  Excuse the dirt on the windowsill...I still have not gotten around to cleaning at their house yet...

They also have some gorgeous calla lilies by the front door (along with a bunch of weeds...)


Last night as dusk approached, Fletch decided to pull/harvest some of the garlic.  He got roughly half of it and will pull the rest today (maybe - depends on how hot and sunny it is).  The bulbs look smaller to me this year.  But, it will sure be nice to have home grown garlic to use (once it dries a bit).


We will let it dry in the sun a bit and then hang it from the patio roof - keeping all vampires away.

Meanwhile, getting to the meat of this post.  It's Tuesday!  Time for a Tiny Needle update.  Not much was accomplished on the Autumn Posy piece.  The only stitching on this was on the uppermost left flower...the petals now have some pale, pale blue stitches along the outer edges.  The center will be filled with white.  I might get to that today.


Construction on the BIG sampler was completed!  I do love this house.


Next up on this is a pot of flowers under the house...also another bird off to the right.  I may try to get some stitching done on this one today as well.  Time will tell.

I may try to make some ice cream today as well!!  We have an ice cream maker, but the last time I used it (a year or more ago) it did not sound good.  The problem was me - I had stuck a spoon in it while it was running (to get a taste as one does) and the spoon hit the blade.  Oooppppssss.  So, I will pull it out of the basement and see if it runs ok.  If so, I will make some ice cream.  If not, I will order another ice cream maker!

Hope you all enjoy the 4th and can stay as cool as possible.  Take care of your pets - so many of them do not like fireworks at all.  I will see you back here tomorrow for Unraveled Wednesday!

14 comments:

  1. goodness! You have been so busy - with your needles AND in your life! Your stitching is so gorgeous and I loved seeing the pictures from C&M's! Stay cool today, Vera!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a perfect day planned.

    Steve is working until a little after noon. Stephen is still sound asleep. The house is quite and I've got the teeny needle in my hand. Life is good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That big sampler just gets better and better! Really love the house. I hope the ice cream maker works okay and you get some cool, delicious ice cream to help you beat the heat today1

    ReplyDelete
  4. Home made ice cream sounds lovely. Every year I feel less inclined for these celebration days when people see to lose their minds. We will hang close to home

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been so busy! I love that sampler house, too--very Victorian.
    Fresh garlic sounds wonderful. The stuff in our local grocery store is awful right now, and I need to cut basil and make pesto.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That big house is quite impressive, and I also like the posies in the other piece. I hope you enjoy some pleasant stitching time today (and I'm still keeping everything crossed for Mabel).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely stitching, as always! That house is phenomenal.
    It was stinking hot yesterday. I didn't go out at all. The thunderstorms last night seemed to help but got our fireworks canceled until the 8th.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's stinking hot here. I feel for the guys putting in the windows.

    Your stitching is lovely, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This heat is just awful. Your stitching is wonderful! (and that garlic looks so good!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do like the Autumn Posy piece. And I envy your garlic. We tried everything and never had it last when dried. We were told to try the purple neck variety, no luck there either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very hot here, too! 103F for our high! I watered all of my flowers--they sure could use some rain! The garlic looks delicious! I like the new flower on your stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the stitching, the house is gorgeous! I pulled out my first garlic--the rest can sit for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your stitching is gorgeous! I need to get back to the birth sampler, I took a 4 day break.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Home grown garlic sounds wonderful. Your stitching looks great. I love that big sampler - probably because it has quite a bit of blue. I'm nothing if not predictable.

    ReplyDelete