Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Unraveled Wednesday 7/26/23

 Hello and Good Morning!

How are you?  I am doing well on this Wednesday morning, though I would have enjoyed sleeping a little better and, perhaps, a little longer.  I set my alarm for 6 a.m. because I'm venturing to the office this morning and I was [finally] sound asleep when that buzzing went off.

This is the last (gasp!!) Wednesday in July and it is time to link up with Kat and her Merry Band of Unravelers to talk making and reading.  Unraveled Wednesday just makes Hump Day all that much better.  So, let's get to it.  Another finish!!!  The PairFect socks are finally done.


They are matchy-matchy and they fit Fletch perfectly.  Woo-Hoo!  I will say that this yarn (PairFect by Arne & Carlos for Regia) feels much more rustic than my other sock yarns.  It is the same 75/25 blend, but it is not as soft.  No matter, Fletch loves them.

There is not much to show here, but I did (again finally) start on my Shakerag SkirtL


I've only done 5 rows or so, but I'm pretty sure I managed that without twisting it!  I'm using Rowan's Creative Linen for my skirt in the colorway Oasis.  My circular needle is by Chiaogoo and I will say the yarn seems to not flow all that smoothly on the cable.  I also realize I am a very tight knitter and that could be part or all of the problem.  I've had a few issues with the yarn splitting a bit, but I'm sure that is user error.  My yarn is dark and if I'm knitting in low light sometimes the tip of my needle goes into the yarn rather than under it.  Oh well.  I just need to go slowly (obviously) and carefully.

As for reading, I finished Instructions for a Heatwave by Maggie O'Farrell.  It was good...certainly not the same level of writing as "The Marriage Portrait" or "Hamnet."  The beginning sort of dragged for me, but I liked the last third of the book better.

I'm now in the midst of a "beachy" read and it is pretty bad.  LOL  I can't remember the title (and am not running upstairs to check), but I have less than 100 pages left, so will stick it out.  Waiting patiently on my nightstand is The Bandit Queens and I am looking forward to diving into that.

Fletch and I are just about finished with "H is for Hawk" by Helen Macdonald (we are over 90% of the way through).  I think Fletch is leaning towards another Master & Commander book.  We've only read the first in that series, so next up will be Post Captain which I just downloaded.

We had quite a thunderstorm yesterday afternoon.  The winds picked up, the rains came down and the temps dropped into the 60's!  We had about 2" of rain very quickly.  Fletch actually put on the PairFect socks when we went out to sit on the patio and we both donned flannel shirts!  Poor figgy which has been so slow to grow this summer appears to have been knocked over!  Fletch will check on it later (It's out at the edge of our veggie garden).

I did pick the eggplants...chopped them up and roasted them last night.  Later today I will finish making the caponata.


And yes, more cukes!  Fletch is picking green beans (again) for dinner tonight.

Time for me to get motivated with another cup of coffee.  I want to go to the office early (and Trader Joe's of course) and get home well before lunch!  Be sure to check out the links at Kat's blog - there are always interesting things to see.  Enjoy!

14 comments:

  1. Good luck with your Shakerag - with the amount of knitters making them I think they are going to be the New Hitchhiker of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having knit a Shakerag skirt . . . I'm gonna say that I think your cable needle isn't long enough to knit comfortably. That might be why your stitches are getting hung up? Love your socks, Vera. They look wonderful, and I'm so glad Fletch likes them, too. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those socks look great and I'm glad to see that you have been able to cast on for your skirt! That thunderstorm yesterday was really something, with lots of torrential rain and thunder here, too. John doesn't grow eggplant but maybe she should. Yours are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am nodding in agreement with Kym... I ordered a longer cable and the knitting was much better with it!

    Your picking looks delicious (I picked two tomatoes this morning... they were not quite ripe, but a wiser gardener shared that picking tomatoes early saves them from birds!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the sock finish. They look great.

    That WAS crazy storming yesterday. We were up in Hellertown and thankfully made it into the restaurant before it REALLY poured. But, I am sure my yard appreciated it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for the sock finish! It's true that Regia is a bit rustic but it wears like crazy. I would love to toss some of my old socks but I can't because they are still in such good shape after all these years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The socks are just perfect! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm all for matchy matchy! lovely! I hope the yarn and the needles knit more smoothly for you. Splitty yarn is not what I enjoy but sometimes the results are worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those socks are great! I'm Fletch will enjoy wearing them too. I'm working on the second to last pair of Christmas socks.
    Cucumbers and zuchinni are the big growers here right now. You have to duck and dive to stay away from gardners trying to force, er, give, away some of them to everyone in their path! :-)
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find that the European sock yarns like Regia aren't that soft, but they do wear like iron! They're great when you're knitting for others who won't take the time to hand-wash their socks (or for people who are really rough on their socks).

    I hope by now you're home from the office! Enjoy the bounty from your garden. I've picked a handful of grape tomatoes, but I'm anxiously awaiting zucchini and cukes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking socks! We had that same sort of temp drop yesterday along with some rain and it was wonderful. No thunder/lightening, though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the look of those sox. Again, how terrible that they are going to spend their days being mostly hidden. What a shame.

    I put up a few quarts of garlicky dill pickles today and a quart of giardiniera/mixed pickle. Just refrigerator, not canned. It's that time of summer when everything is getting ripe and bountiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The socks look great. About now, a thunderstorm cooling the air would be lovely. At 7:30 p.m. the temp outside is 96. Thank goodness for AC. The socks look great. It's always a good thing when they fit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those socks!! I'm sure Fletch appreciates the perfectly matched pair ... sad that no one else will see them ;-) The eggplant is so pretty; I'm sure the caponata was delicious.

    ReplyDelete