Friday, August 30, 2024

Friday Felines

 Hello and Good Morning!

It is grey and threatening looking here, but I don't think there is rain in the forecast (though Fletch said he heard it raining lightly when he came to bed last night).

Look at this sweet kitty:


Mabel is gazing longingly at various birds.  Just before I took this picture yesterday afternoon, she was rolling around playing with the apple you can see by her side.  If apples fall near the patio I pick them up and toss them further out into the yard for the deer (and Steve the Beav and the squirrels).  Mabel will take off like lightening and chase the apple like it's a ball.  She's a pistol for sure.

Yesterday was mostly cooking and reading.  I made a delicious curried lentil soup for dinner...and forgot to take a picture.  I also picked another 14 (!!) figs and another dozen plus cherry tomatoes.  We are heading over to Bonnie & Zhongren's for a cookout tonight and plan to take them some figs.  I'm baking a cake to take - one I used to make a lot decades ago and then forgot about it.  It's called an amazing raisin cake and it has apples, raisins, and walnuts in it along with a ton of spices.  And, it's frosted with whipped cream - gotta love that!

I hope you all have a lovely Labor Day weekend filled with good food and fun.  Enjoy!!

13 comments:

  1. Mabel is just so adorable! Lentil soup sounds so good! (and it is almost SOUP SEASON!! I can't get Steve to eat soup here at all in warm months... sigh.)

    Have a great weekend! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mabel is sweet and a little bit crazy chasing apples as balls! Enjoy your fig harvest, cookout, and that delicious cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Mabel must be part dog! We had some rain overnight and are supposed to get more tomorrow. We need it so badly! We haven't really had any good summer thunderstorms this year, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow.

    Have a lovely cookout and a great long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd have to have Mabel DNA tested. I think she must be part leopard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smoky, smoky skies in Wyoming with several large and uncontained wildfires burning forests and grassland. Everyone would welcome and all day soaking rain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beauty of a cat--we do love Mabel! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Labor Day! I love the idea of Mabel chasing apples like balls. Does she eat them?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cake sounds delicious. That Mabel she is a character. Does she ever take a bite of the apple?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cake sounds good! My neighbor has one fig tree, second year they had 42 figs, this year 56. It's now 6 foot tall, mine are two foot tall and two foot wide. Damn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mabel is so cute. She's quite the entertainment. Your cake sounds delicious.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy weekend! your cake sounds amazing and perfect for a fall cookout.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I could pet Mabel, she's such a beautiful cat! Hope you're having a good weekend, Vera.

    ReplyDelete