Monday, August 12, 2024

Weekending 8/12/24

 Good Morning My Friends,

Geesh!  What a difference in the weather now.  The rain is gone and the humidity is gone as well.  It is simply lovely out and the weekend weather was equally fabulous.  YAY!!


We finally were able to cut a Dahlia bloom that had not withered and turned grey!  It's only one, but it is magnificent.


Fletch had to go out to the garden to prop up a cherry tomato plant that had blown over during the storms and found a few cherry tomatoes that had not split and a couple of Mucho Nacho peppers.  They look like (and are about the size of) jalapeño peppers, but a little milder.  I love jalapeños, but they are too hot for Fletch.  This variety works for him.

Saturday morning Fletch and I headed over to the Kimberton CSA.


Colin & Mailing are members and pick up a share each week.  They were still in Turks & Caicos, so we went to pick up their share.  What a lot of stuff:  tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, chard, dandelion greens, peppers, celery, garlic, parsley.  There was more in the fields to pick, but we were a little pressed for time.  We took the haul back to Colin & Mailing's and put most of it in the frig - tomatoes, peppers, cukes and garlic we left out.  Then we headed out to lunch.

Like many of you, we've had a ton of rain.  And look what popped up in a yard just down the street from Colin & Mailing.  Giant mushrooms/toadstools!!


And, for size comparison, here's a shot with my foot in it.  My feet are large (size 10).


Saturday afternoon I took the Shakerag Skirt off the blocking mats!!  It finally dried so that I could thread the elastic through the waistband and close it up.  Woo-Hoo!  Not the best picture, but it was hard to get a shot outside because it was so bright and sunny!


Here's a shot from Sunday morning.



This one shows the lace work better...and sweet Mabel of course.

I like the skirt.  I would not say that I love it.  It is very heavy (not hot, but heavy weight-wise).  The Rowan Creative linen just feels heavy to me.  I think I will get more use out of it come the Fall when I can pull on some tights to go with it.  I would not rush out to knit another one...and I would try a different yarn if I did.  But, the color is great and the pattern is lovely.

Sunday morning after breakfast I headed out to walk along the Perkiomen Creek.  It was a very busy place.  I thought at one point there would be a traffic jam with all the folks on bicycles.  No crashes that I saw (and no one ran into moi!!).  At the dam there were some herons!


Thanks for sticking with me for this long-winded post.  Tell me, how was your weekend?

12 comments:

  1. We had the same amazing weather here this weekend and it was so delightful! I think the skirt looks great; it's a shame it feels heavy to wear (I suppose that's a major downside of plant fibers -- wool would be much lighter but too warm).

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weather just makes EVERYTHING better, doesn't it? Your skirt looks great, Vera! A great color indeed! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your skirt!!!! My weekend was good, I've been enjoying my knitting and the weather and that makes it nearly perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great skirt! And yes--tights for fall would also make the patterning stand out.

    I was actually a bit chilly in the shade over the weekend. These hot hot summers are messing with my thermostat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone is delighted with this weather and it certainly feels like we deserve it after all of that heat and humidity. I love your skirt, especially the color and the lace pattern and hope you get more use out of it this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you had a great weekend! The skirt turned out beautifully! I was surprised that the linen Tshirt I had knitted was also much heavier than expected--so now we know!!!! lol I think you will get to wear it more this Fall. A very good job knitting it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my- look at the size of those mushrooms!
    I was clearing away weeds around the holly, and came across some weird, black fungi - I looked it up and it's called Dead Man's Fingers!!! Mine looks more like Dead Man's Dog Poop than fingers.. but apparently it comes in many forms.

    The skirt looks fabulous! I bet you will get a lot of wear out of it, come fall!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pleasant temperatures over the weekend, so windows were left open all day - it was fabulous. Love your skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like a wonderful CSA haul! And hooray for a dahlia, it's beautiful. I hope you will get used to the weight of the skirt and wear it more frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great weekend! the skirt looks wonderful on you ... hope you come to love it so you'll wear it. and holy moly - those mushrooms!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the skirt finish! That's one epic project. I am in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful dahlia and the vase it is in is also lovely. Holy cow, those are some mushrooms. I wonder if the skirt will feel better in cooler weather with some tights. The lace around the bottom is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete