Monday, March 25, 2024

Weekending 3/25/24

 Good Morning Everyone,

My gosh but we had a ton of rain on Saturday!  I woke to hear it raining during the night and it never let up until dinner time.  I'm not sure how much rain we got - we haven't yet put our rain gauge out because our temps are still dipping below freezing - but our backyard was essentially a lake!  And then the winds picked up and roared.  Sunday morning I noticed that once again my archery target and the backdrop at the edge of our yard before the woods had blown over again.  Poor Mabel did not know what to do.  She wanted to go out, but then she wouldn't.  Instead she tried to drive us crazy getting into and onto things that she should not.

Backing up a bit, Colin & Mailing came over for dinner on Friday.  We had picked up some strawberries when we were grocery shopping and I found rhubarb from the garden in the freezer, so I made a strawberry-rhubarb crostata for dessert.


Tasty, but I won't bother freezing rhubarb this coming summer.  It is much better fresh!

I did manage to do a few chores - laundry was done and I finally (finally!!) dusted and vacuumed our bedroom.  Fresh sheets and a clean room do wonders for a good night of sleep.  I also ran to the library and picked up a few books.

Sunday was for making.  I started a new cross stitch piece (more on that tomorrow), I cast on with my February yarn from the Farmer's Daughter (finally) and also pulled out a project that I had forgotten about - my Shakerag Skirt!!  That will be receiving some well earned attention.

This is a busy week - something going on each day, but all manageable.  Meanwhile, it's time to pour another cup of coffee and dry my hair.  I hope your week is off to a great start!

17 comments:

  1. There must have been some weather front going along the entire East Coast -- we had rain all day on Friday and half of Saturday down here, with some minor flooding and even a tornado watch! Thankfully there didn't seem to be any major damage, but there's still a lot of debris around.

    Can't wait to see your new cross stitch and the return of the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your crostata looks delicious and you've got lots of interesting new projects (and one old one) to work on. I look forward to seeing them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I unearthed my "in process and needs to be frogged" Shakerag skirt as well over the weekend. (I need to get my yarns sorted and recast on!)

    Your crostata looks delicious (and there should be fresh rhubarb soon! I see mine poking up in the garden!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your week is busy my week is empty since there are no classes this week because of Easter. Cannot wait to see your stitching :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can remember the days when my mother filled freezers with rhubarb. Then again, she never had any in her own garden. You're right, however; nothing beats fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That crostata looks so good. Yum. I miss my rhubarb. I wonder if it's still growing at the house? You had a busy weekend. We had thunderstorms overnight the past two nights.
    Looking forward to seeing your new project.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. That wind was CRAZY!!! Thankfully, the basement stayed dry. That was a lot of rain!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your crostata looks delicious! I, too, have found there are some things I just enjoy fresh and no longer pressure myself to preserve/put up/store in any way.
    Looking forward to seeing your dusted-off skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never been a fan of rhubarb - everyone else in my family loves it and I just don't get it. Lol. Sounds like you had a nice weekend other than the weather. Ours was cold, but temps are on the rise today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do love rhubarb but somehow it is difficult to find out here (I guess I should try growing it?). Can't wait to see all your projects in process. I think I might need to make that skirt?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think frozen rhubarb works OK if you're going to make a sauce, otherwise it gets pretty mushy. I noticed that Nell, designer of the Shakerag Skirt, is nearing completion of another cute skirt design!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm....that looks delicious! All that rain made our kitties a bit crazy too. In and out. In and out. All day long.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the perfect time to be working on your Shakerag skirt, Vera! You'll be all set to wear it when summer rolls around! (I can't wait to get mine out again!) And, sigh. This is the time of year I always wish Tom liked/would eat rhubarb anything. But he won't. So I don't bother messing with it . . .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Finished socks, a finished stitching project, a finished book, baking - you've been making good use of your time! I don't have any hibernating warm weather knitting projects, but I kind of wish I did - the weather is perfect for pulling it out. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That dessert looks delicious and very much like Spring. You remind me that I also have raspberry juice and rhubarb in the freezer. My plan was to cook the rhubarb to extract juice and make jelly this winter. I never did get around to that. My daughter said they had lots and lots of rain (in Connecticut) also. We could use some.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always enjoy reading about your weather because it's usually what we get about 12 hours later - we had heavy rain late Saturday and over night and then very high winds all day Sunday. I bet a "busy week" hits different these days and I hope that's a really good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love a cleaned room for sleeping in the fresh sheets and knowing the dust has been fought back for a few days! lol

    ReplyDelete