Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Tiny Needle Tuesday 3/26/24

 Hello and Good Morning my Friends,

A few minutes ago as I was pouring my first cup of coffee, I heard some geese fly overhead - probably headed to some field for a bit of breakfast.  There is a rosy glow to the sky this morning...a bit on the overcast side, but also warmer than previous mornings.  Thank goodness!  I needed the heat in my car as well as the seat warmer when I left the house at 8:45 yesterday morning.

It hardly seems possible, but welcome to the last TNT post of March 2024.  How can we be a quarter through the year already?  Anyway, I have a finish to share as well as a new start!  First up, The Hunt Sampler:


The center of the wreath is supposed to contain initials as well as a date, but since I highlighted my initials in the alphabet, I decided just to go with the date and used the same color that I had used for my initials.  Details:
  • The Hunt Sampler by Homespun Sampler
  • Stitched on 36 count linen over 2 (18 stitches to the inch)
  • Silk threads by Vicki Clayton:  main color is Aqua Marine; color for the date and my initials is Deep Ocean

Someone (I forget who) asked if I would show the back side of my stitching, so here goes:


When my Mom was teaching me to embroider, she always emphasized that the back side of your work should be as neat as the front.  I once was in a class where one of the students was stitching in a manner where it was hard to tell the front from the back!  That was pretty amazing.

I finished The Hunt Sampler on Saturday, so a new piece was started on Sunday!  Once again I am stitching with only one color of silk.  The piece is entitled "Sew Red" and is by iStitch Designs.  There are a number of free designs on her web site.


I dug deep into my stash for supplies.  The linen is 40 count wood smoke (which looks a bit mottled) - a piece I won in a give-away years ago.  The silk thread is once again from Vicki Clayton and the color is "Old Maid of the Heart."  I'm not sure if you can see the variations in the thread - even clicking to enlarge the picture they may not show up.  But at times the thread has a hint of pink and at other times it gets darker and almost has a touch of brown in it.  Here it is on the spool:


You can see the variations on the spool a little easier.  I've surprised myself going with another piece in just one color.  Not my usual style, but I'm thoroughly enjoying this piece. I definitely need my magnifier though!!  This is a rather small piece.  It is only 85 by 85 stitches...so on 40 count fabric stitched over 2 it will be roughly 4.25" square.

Well, time for me to pour another cup of coffee and wake up Fletch.  Have a wonderful Tuesday!

13 comments:

  1. The Hunt Sampler is just gorgeous! I love that your initials and the date are in the lighter color -- such a clever way to "sign" your work! I have to admit that for all the embroidery I've done, I've never used dyed silk threads. I've used metallics a couple of times, but otherwise it's just been DMC floss. I suppose it's kind of like being a knitter and only using big box store yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Hunt Sampler is truly gorgeous! I really love the one-color samplers and your unique way of signing them, plus the silk thread. Even the back is beautiful! I'm looking forward to seeing this new red one on Tuesdays and hope you have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gorgeous, Vera! I love that Hunt Sampler so much!! I am excited to see where your new stitching will go! (I think I really like the one color samplers!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful, Vera! My mother always emphasized the neatness of the back, too (handed down from HER mother)! I went to a cross-stitch workshop in Williamsburg in '93 (I think) for a class with Darleen O'Steen -- the reproduction sampler (a large one) was meant to be reversible. Crazy stitches! I never finished it, but always thought that if I did, I'd want it framed so that the back was visible, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful finish. I am laughing about the back side being neat - another reason this kind of stitch work might not be for me 😉

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats. Your finish is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can definitely say my backs NEVER look that good. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a gorgeous finish. I had heard the same year ago about the backs being as neat as the front. Apparently I didn't take it to heart because mine aren't like that at all.
    Your new project looks very interesting too.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've got to be kidding me. You FINISHED that already??? I hereby bestow upon you the title of Super Stitcher! Congratulations!
    And that back....I didn't even realize it was the back. I had to look twice. My backs are sloppy messes. I'm lucky if i get the front halfway presentable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't even with you and your stitching. Not only are you so fast, it is beautiful and even the back is incredibly beautiful. Sorry you can't post on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The hunt sampler turned out so well, going with the same color again will be a fun idea! I like that even your scissors are red! lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. congrats on a lovely finish!! I cannot believe it's the end of March as well, time is whizzing by these days.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The finished sampler is a beautiful piece of stitching. The back of your work is indeed very neat. It is so hard to believe it is the end of March.

    ReplyDelete