Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Unraveled Wednesday 3/6/24

 Good Morning!

Not only is my brain foggy this morning, but it is very foggy outside as well.  Yesterday was rainy pretty much all day and somehow time got away from me (again) and I never even picked up my knitting until after dinner.  I really need to figure out this retirement time thing!  LOL

Anyway, here we are mid-week and it's time to link up with Kat and her Merry Band of Unravelers to talk making and reading.  Despite time seeming to get away from me, I do have progress to show on both my March sock (the first) and my Hitch on the Move.

The March sock did prove to be a bit of a problem initially.  I tried two different patterns and had to unravel both before I listened to the yarn and discovered that it just wanted to be a plain sock.  But now I've knit down the leg and will start the heel flap this morning when I meet up with Dee.



Now I just need to figure out if I want a contrasting flap and heel or not.  Decisions, decisions!

My Hitch on the Move did see a bit of love this week with 3 sections being added.  This is a fun knit and so easy to memorize.  



I weighed my main color (Wish You Were Beer - the brown on the left) and I've hardly used any of it, so I'm sure I will have plenty of yarn to make this a BIG shawl.

Reading has been a bit slower.  I keep forgetting to turn on my audible book (Where the Line Bleeds by Jesmyn Ward) when I sit down to knit or stitch.  My book-book that I'm reading with my eyes is This Cold Country by Annabel Davis-Goff.  This is a book that I bought years (decades??) ago at Barnes & Noble and it has been sitting on a book shelf ever since then.  While waiting on a book from the library I decided I needed to start reading some of the books I already own.  It is ok.  Not great, but it seems to be getting better.  It takes place during the Second World War and there are some strange characters in it.

After dinner, Fletch and I are listening to The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid - Bill Bryson's memoir of growing up in the 50's in the US.  The author is the narrator and there are parts of it that are laugh out loud funny.  I think Fletch is enjoying it a bit more than I am, but that is fine.

Well, time for me to pour another cup of coffee and get dressed...looking forward to meeting up with Dee is a little over an hour.  Hope your Wednesday is full of fun!

17 comments:

  1. Sometimes a plain sock is the best way to let beautiful yarn shine! Your shawl is moving along nicely, too.

    I hope the brain fog and the real fog let up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those socks are going to be lovely, and so is your HotM! Wish You Were Beer just cracks me up. Thunderbolt Kid is one of my favorite books ever. I love Bill Bryson's voice and some parts make me laugh just thinking about them (like the part about the refrigerator near the beginning). Have fun with Dee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will take a bit of time to sort yourself out but so what! lol The sock and the shawl are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. See you in a bit! Hitch looks great and I vote for contrast heel and toe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just talked with a retired friend yesterday and we are both reinventing retirement all the time. It has been almost 4 years for me and I love that I can switch things up as the seasons change. Enjoy the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and Dee are together as I write this! And I hope you're enjoy the freedom of a mid-week meet-up. Curious what you decided on the heel flap. Repeating the blue of the cuff could be a fun pop. Thanks for sharing more about the Bill Bryson book. I think I'll recommend that one to my brother; he likes to listen during his morning and evening walks.
    As for navigating the abstraction of 'time' through the lens of retirement, I imagine you'll need to give yourself space and flexibility to experiment. (And then, like Juliann says, you'll probably be switching it up in time, anyway!) I hope you have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Midweek coffee and knitting sounds so fun! (And sock knitting FTW!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You and Dee should be knitting together right now! How fun! Wish I could join you. I like that blue pop of color. Did you decide to include it in the heel flap and toe? I think it would be perfect that way. :-)
    The day we had yesterday with Mom isn't to be repeated. Please, don't repeat it. Not a good day. I didn't pick up my crochet until after dinner and was so distracted I didn't get much done at all.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like how the shawl is developing. The lighter yarn has such pretty variegation to it.

    I'm sure you and Dee will get a lot of things talked about this morning. What a pleasure to have a midweek coffee klatch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are sitting in that same fog. What a dreary start to the day.
    I should have warned you about that retirement thing. Time starts moving way too quickly. When I look back on my Ravelry page I marvel at how much I did while working. I haven't come close to being so productive since I retired. I don't know whether to blame it on old age or The Mister being here all day. I used to have my summer's and weekends off while he was at work. That was sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the Hitch on the Move! Great colors (non colors I guess!).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you have to give yourself some time to get into the retirement groove!

    ReplyDelete
  13. HItch on the Move is coming along nicely. That will be a pretty shawl. I like the yarn in the vanilla socks. Sometimes a stockinette sock is just plain elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such pretty yarn for the sock -- I am glad it told you what it wanted to be ;-). Bill Bryson's books are always entertaining. I think he is distantly related to my stepmom; her maiden name was Bryson, and she was born and lived in Iowa. But that may be my own wishful thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hitch is very interesting! I look forward to seeing it progress

    ReplyDelete
  16. The names chosen for colors are so entertaining! The sock yarn ball looked like a beautiful flower on my small screen. The brown looked like a root beer barrel. I need my glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Personally, I love plain socks best of all! Love the colors you're using, Vera. XO

    ReplyDelete