Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Unraveled Wednesday 3/27/24

 Good Morning!

It is a milder morning here in Eastern PA, but there is dampness in the air.  We are forecast to have a couple days of rain...and our backyard is still a soggy mess after the Saturday storm!

Hard to believe we are at the last Wednesday in March.  Time to link up with Kat and her Merry Band of Unravelers to talk all about what we are making and reading.  Fun things!

As I mentioned the other day, I have (finally) cast on with my February sock yarn from The Farmer's Daughter.  I've decided to go with shortie socks (which I don't normally wear, but sometimes in the summer it's what I want).



Obviously I have not gotten far.  There are 12 rows of 2x2 ribbing in that pretty blue...then 8 rows straight in the lavender and now I am about 10 rows into the heel flap.  Being shortie socks they should (theoretically) go quickly...but for that to happen, one must spend time knitting on them!  There is a third color (gold) that will be added somewhere down the foot.  I should work on these as I just received notice that my April yarn has shipped and should be here by Friday! 

Meanwhile, another project I want to work on is my Shakerag Skirt!  Here it is exactly as I left it sometime last year.


I love the color of the yarn!  My plan had been to spend time on this yesterday, but something better happened!  Colin texted me to see if I wanted to go for a walk after lunch.  Taking a walk with Colin will trump knitting any day of the week!  Especially when it is a gorgeous day full of sunshine.  We walked through White's Road Park (a local park with a nice footpath) and then through the neighborhood for a bit - about 40 minutes of walking.  So many bushes are beginning to bloom and other plants are loaded with buds.  It was also nice to see so many people out walking about.

After I got home I walked out to our garden to see if anything is happening.  We have around 20 garlic shoots popping up through the leaf mulch!


And the first rhubarb shoot is up (and the stem is red!!).


I was also encouraged to see buds on our fig tree.  Woo-Hoo.  We never had figs last year, so I am hoping for a bumper crop this year.

On the reading side of things, not a lot to report.  I did finish The Berry Pickers by Amanda Peters.  I liked it...thought it was good, though the ending felt rushed and just not up to the rest of the book.  I picked up several books at the library.  I've read roughly 75 pages of How to Say Babylon which is just ok for me so far.  I find myself easily closing my eyes while reading it!  I also picked up Big Sky by Kate Atkinson, but am finding it slow going...not sure I will finish it or just return it to the library.  The last book I picked up is one that was recommended to me:  The Good Thief but I have yet to get into it.

Today I am heading to the office to turn in my laptop, assorted keyboards, cords and mice as well as my key fob that let's me into our office space.  LOL. I'm curious to see the new office space, but don't plan to spend much time there.  I will make a Trader Joe's run since I'm in the neighborhood and will most likely pick up wine as well.  And then this afternoon I'd really like to spend time knitting!  We shall see.

Be sure to check out Kat's space to see what everyone else is making and reading.  And, while you are at it, have a wonderful Wednesday!


15 comments:

  1. I do like the colors you are using in your sock so far. They should go relatively quickly since you're already on the heel flap! I hope you get a chance to work on your Shakerag skirt; that yarn is beautiful. Your garden is looking good in early spring. One last trip to the office and you get wine as a reward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shortie socks go so fast! I'm working on a pair as well, and even though they're for someone with big feet, they are going very quickly. I agree with you about The Berry Pickers; I could see where it was going from the beginning. Not a bad read, though. I'll be interested to hear what you think about The Good Thief, as it certainly sounds intriguing.

    Enjoy your last trip to the office!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo! Those are beautiful sock colors, Vera! Good week for "Shortie Socks" you and Sarah are knitting some... and Steve asked for a new pair of shorties last night at dinner!

    I would absolutely say yes to a walk any day over sitting inside! (We had a lovely day of rain yesterday... nice, soaking rains that we don't usually get! The garden beds all looked so perky this morning when I walked Sherman! )

    ReplyDelete
  4. The color of those socks is just right for Summer! I hope you had a good walk with Colin! Yay for the skirt to be brought up to the top of the pile again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, love that you could take a walk with Colin!! Those times are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An invite to walk, especially from someone you love most, IS the best! Sounds like spring has sprung in your yard, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting to see things popping up. We've got rain today too which is fine since it keeps me from having to water all those new shrubs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely socks and I'm eager to see the skirt grow!! we go to TJ's every week I love it there :) I am grateful we have one close by, where we used to live there was nothing. (I also have a whole foods!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be interested to hear how you like The Good Thief. It doesn't seem quite the thing for me but maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love seeing and hearing about your garden coming to life. I hope you'll tell us how it feels to go to the office today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, there is something quite satisfying about turning in the last of the work equipment. It was so freeing for me and I hope for you too. A walk with your son sounds wonderful. I was just thinking about shortie socks - wishing for some warmer weather I think. Yours look very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Hunt Sampler turned out beautifully! I do love the colors and how you personalized the piece. I hope your office visit was a quick one. and that you've found time to knit on those socks ... you'll be wearing shortie socks soon, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! That must feel good.
    I also really like the blue yarn, gorgeous colour.
    Our rhubarb is at about the same stage. Let’s have an England V America rhubarb race? Ha!
    I gave Big Sky 5 stars, but I’m a huge Kate Atkinson and JB fan.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Buds on your fig? Mine are still in the garage looking dead!! Three years old and only grew an inch!! Full sun, compost + good soil, large pot, brought inside for winter a told to do. Time to get the dolly and roll them out!!

    ReplyDelete