Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Unraveled Wednesday 3/13/24

 Good Morning Everyone!

So hard to believe we are just about at the mid-point of March.  How has that happened so quickly?  Time does march on indeed, and it is warming up here.  Fletch and I were able to sit outside on the patio before dinner and we saw our first bluebird this year!!  Fletch gave me a bluebird house last year, so we are hoping that they will find our yard and the accommodations inviting.  Also, more daffodils have opened up.  We have a bunch of these small ones on the North side of the house and yesterday I picked these.


So cheerful!

Here we are back at another Wednesday and it is time to link up with Kat and her Merry Band of Unravelers to talk making and reading.

Despite my near disaster with my Hitch on the Move (which I have not had a chance to look at yet...perhaps today), some knitting was accomplished.  The first sock using the March yarn from The Farmer's Daughter has been completed:


Hard to tell from this picture (sorry - I did not spread out the sock in a pleasing way), but I put two little pin stripes right before the beginning of the toe decrease.  I love the way these two yarns/colors work together.  The main color (colorway:  Grandma's Hands) almost looks like it is stripes, but really the yarn is just a bit varigated.  Not wanting to drop down into second sock syndrome, March sock #2 has been started.


This one seems to be going a bit slower, primarily because everytime I pick up my needles to knit my eyes tend to close.  (Which also explains why I have not yet gone back to look at my Hitch on the Move!!)

Reading has been good.  Slow and steady.  I finished This Cold Country - a book I pulled off one of our bookshelves in the bedroom.  It was ok - just sort of average.  It is in the pile of books that will be taken to the donation center.  While waiting on a couple of books I'm in queue for at my library, I picked up another book from our shelves - The Women on the Wall - a collection of short stories by Wallace Stegner.  I'm not a huge fan of short stories as I have mentioned previously, but I do love Stegner's writing.  This book is no exception.  The one thing I did notice in the 3 stories I read last night is that there is an undercurrent of cruelty in some of his characters.  Not a fan of that!  But, still, Stegner was a master of writing and it shows in these stories.

Fletch and I are continuing to listen to the Bill Bryson book after dinner (This One).  We find outselves laughing out loud - sometimes so hard that I start crying.  Another reason not as much knitting is getting done!  It's really a very entertaining book.  I'm sorry that we have less than 2 hours left to listen to it.

Be sure to head over to Kat's spot to see what everyone is making and reading.  And have a wonderful mid-week!

14 comments:

  1. Your abundance of daffodils is a welcome sight as I wait for the sunshine!
    I zoomed in and saw those pinstripes -- very clever. And it looks like you have a VERY cooperative assistant :) ♥
    I have not seen one single bluebird since moving east. (Mountain bluebirds are beautiful, and I felt so lucky when I'd spot one!) I put out a bluebird feeder in hopes of drawing some, but I'm not holding my breath. I hope you get some residents at your house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daffodils are gorgeous and so is that vase; I love the special bonus of Mabel posing with your completed sock! The Thunderbolt Kid is very funny and think I need to re-listen to it tonight, if only for some good laughs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your vase as well -- it looks like a present of flowers (which, I suppose, they kind of are)! I'll admit that I looked at beautiful Mabel before I looked at the sock, but I do like your little stripes. It's always fun to have a little secret in your socks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely sock! I really like the contrast between the two yarns.
    That Bryson book sounds like something I'd like. I'll have to add it to my Audible wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my... that is a beautiful bunch of daffodils! (that vase is perfect!!) But your socks! I love both yarns... they are perfect together! PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Daffy-dills! Oh how I love those beautiful flowers of spring. The socks are beautiful, the pinstrips make a nice transition to the toe. That was a great idea.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful sock!
    I was out looking at the garden this morning and I may get daffodils much earlier than expected!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your daffodils are lovely and I'm sort of jealous as ours are very slow this year. I love Mabel posing with your sock!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the pin stripe toe detail, so lovely!! Mabel is looking like she is queen of her castle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Wednesday (already!)! looks like you might be finding a groove with the FDF sock squad? Their colors are so good - and not so typical - and "simple socks" maybe showcase them better. Also, love the daffodils.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy reading what you and Fletch are listening to after dinner. I’ve tried The Ride book but disliked the narrator which is a real shame. I’ll see if I can get hold of the ebook at some point. I haven’t seen it published in paperback form here, yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachell - thelittleroomofrachell.com

      Delete
  12. Mabel seems to approve of you socks. The yarn combination is very pretty. The daffodils are bright and cheerful. I have a few. Yesterday was quite warm and a couple of buds opened. Today we are back to chilly temps. It's always the way. I hope they survive for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pretty sock and pretty Mabel!!! The flowers are so cheerful! Go ahead and sleep; you have entered into the retirement-relaxation mode! lol

    ReplyDelete