Monday, May 22, 2023

Weekending 5/22/23

 Good Early Morning!

I'm not heading to the office today, but my internal alarm clock got me up at 5 a.m.  Grrrrr.  Last night I was so tired - too tired to read or knit, but I stayed up till 10:30 and then went to bed assuming it would be a nice, long sleep.  Wrong!  Once again awake from 2 - 3:30.  What's up with that?  Oh well, c'est la vie.  I will not waste time wondering why or thinking about it.  Instead I will be sure to have a nap after lunch!

Let's talk weekending!  How was yours?  I hope it was fun and productive (if it needed to be) and relaxing.  Mine was good.  As usual, I met up with Dee Saturday morning for some prime girl time.  We knit some, chatted a lot and sipped our coffee.  We both were working on socks (of course).  And, later in the day when I was home, I finished up the second Crazy Zauerball Sock!


Crazy Zauerball Socks for Me!  Colourway # 2389:  Jubilaumsparty  #2 needles

Later in the afternoon Zhongren came over to harvest bamboo to make poles for his garden.  He must have cut 50 stalks (at least)!!  It was so nice to see him again - we had not seen Mailing's parents since we flew home from Texas in December!  Bonnie did not come - she had just gotten back from a month in China, but was away again for the weekend - this time in DC.

Nothing special on Sunday.  I cooked breakfast (apple pancakes) and washed towels.  After lunch Fletch and I went over to C&M's house to water plants, repair their mailbox, replace smoke alarm batteries, trim dead limbs from trees, etc.  No sign of anyone being inside during the past week (thank goodness!).  When we got home I harvested rhubarb.  The plant is huge and the platter-sized leaves had been spilling out into the walkway in the garden.  I just threw it all in the frig, but today I will cut it up and freeze some.  I'll leave some out to make something (will pick up strawberries when we go to the grocery store tomorrow).  This next picture is for Valerie - she has recently added some catnip to her garden.


Catnip to the left of the tree.  Planted last summer and died back over the winter.  It has come back with a vengeance!  Mabel will occasionally wander out there and chow down for a bit.  If you look to the right of the tree and back in the garden, you can see some of the huge rhubarb leaves!

Nothing major planned for today...just some laundry and taking it easy.  I'd like to cast on my Shakerag Skirt, but if I am too tired to concentrate, I will pick something simple to cast on...maybe a shawl or a cowl and, perhaps, a new pair of socks.  One must always have socks on the needles!!

Whatever you are up to this Monday morning, I hope it is something good!

16 comments:

  1. That is one great pair of socks! I'm glad your weekend was a good one, with nobody in C&M's house. I hope today is a good Monday - with a nap, maybe a cast-on for your skirt, and some more great socks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those socks are amazing! They look like they could have been knit from handspun, which I suppose is kind of the point of the yarn.

    I'm not planning too much that's exciting this morning (a work meeting and then a run), but I'm hoping for a quiet work day. I finished up a big project at the end of last week, so I'm hoping for a little break before the next one starts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must have been a night for insomnia, I could NOT fall asleep last night for anything and I am dragging this morning! Thank goodness for caffeine! It was a good weekend here as well... Steve was not happy, but we officially "opened" the porch yesterday. It was lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about the sleep interruptions, that's no fun. I'm glad things are normal over at C&M's house, too. Hope you enjoy your nap today!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific looking socks! I'd be constantly showing people when I wore those--"Hey, do you like my socks? Aren't they great? I made them myself!" You'd never do that, I know.

    Don't forget about making rhubarb cordial. It's really good--tastes just like rhubarb pie, and so nice to sip over ice in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know all about the sleep thing--if I get two nights of solid sleep a week, I count it good! Sigh. The socks are so pretty! The catnip plant is gorgeous--my guys always ate mine down to nothing! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice to have a finished pair of socks, I love the colors in them and the striping. Our weekend was nice and I'm ready for Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooooooooooooooooooo...I hope you start the skirt. I'm so curious to see what it looks like and to see how it feels to the touch.

    The Zauberball socks look fantastic. I love the craziness of the tweedy looking colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your socks! I can't wait to see how the skirt progresses, I'm not brave enough to knit a skirt. I am disappointed the ghost seems to be taking a vacation though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The socks are FUN! I’m going to look for some more colorful balls of Zauberball.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great socks Vera! I love the looks of the yarn. It sounds like a pleasantly busy weekend, doing homey things. I was home most of the weekend and we've been able to have the windows wide open since the humidity has been low. Unfortunately pollen is high and that's irritating. I still have rhubarb in the freezer from last year. I suppose I better use it up soon before it gets freezer burnt.
    Hope your Monday has been great.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love those socks - what fun! A slow Monday is a nice way to start the week and I'm sure not going to the office is a real bonus, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, catnip!!! It's in the mint family, so you may have it "coming back with a vengeance" . . . forever. ;-)
    Your socks are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the catnip patch! And love those zauber socks! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The socks look great! My kitties don't love catnip. I've tried it and they ignore it-at least when I'm around. I do find the catnip toys scattered around in the morning so may they are just midnight nippers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was just thinking about trying to freeze rhubarb. Do you do anything special with it before freezing or do you just chop and bag it up? I could also google information but I do like to have recommendations from a cook. You have a nice finish on those socks. I hope you get that skirt on the needles without too much difficulty.

    ReplyDelete