Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Unraveled Wednesday 5/17/23

 Hello Everyone!

How are you?  Let me tell you, this going to the office is getting old!  LOL  I don't know how I used to do it day in and day out, 5 days a week and most of the year.  It is exhausting.  I want to say thank goodness for the pandemic which allowed me to begin working from home, but I don't want to say that because the whole pandemic was/is just too, too horrible.  But I'm guessing you all know what I mean and how I feel.

Fletch and I managed to get our grocery shopping done in record time yesterday and I was at the office by 11 a.m.  I hung around until after 3 then raced home, picked up Fletch and drove to Skippack to drop off our ballots.  I even had an email this morning confirming that my ballot had been received.  Last night I was too tired to do much of anything but watch an episode of Poirot ("The Mystery of the Spanish Chest") and read a few pages before succumbing to sleep.  Now it is Wednesday and time to link up with Kat and her Merry Band of Unravelers to talk making and reading.  Two of my favorite subjects.

The second Crazy Zauerball sock is progressing nicely.  Not fast, that's for sure.  I did manage 5 rows last night while listening to a book with Fletch after dinner, but my eyes kept closing, so I stopped at that point.


Crazy Zauerball Sock #2

Just a little bit past the halfway mark of the foot.  Then it will be on to the toe decreases and Kitchenering up to the finish.  Then it will be time to cast on a new project.  Of course I am already (have been) thinking about what that may be and I think there will be at least two if not three projects cast on.  Living dangerously!!  LOL  My thought is a skirt (Shakerag of course) a shawl or a cowl and naturally another pair of socks.  Whew!

As if that were not enough to keep my busy (along with my stitching), I have got a lot of reading to do!  I have finished up a couple of lovely books.  First up I wrapped up The Shrines of Gaiety by Kate Atkinson.  As I think I mentioned in last week's blog, I found this book to be an enjoyable romp through London during the Roaring Twenties.  Nightclubs!  Police (some good and some not so much)!  I did enjoy this book a  lot.  Sure I wish she had spent more time on some characters and less on others, but it wasn't my book.  

That book was finished Saturday night.  I immediately picked up Foster by Claire Keegan.  I had been in queue for this book for months...like a lot.  I had listened to Small Things Like These sometime last Fall and loved it, but I really wanted to read Foster with my eyes.  Most of you know this is a short (but powerful) book - under 100 pages and I read it in one sitting.  Oh my!  How I loved this book.  It broke my heart, but I loved it.  The whole time I was reading it I was thinking of Willa Cather.  I think Keegan's writing reminds me of Cather.  But, I'm not really sure because I have not read any Cather in years.  But I kept thinking of "My Antonia" or "The Song of the Lark."  

Now I am in the midst (more than halfway through) No Two Persons by Erica Bauermeister.  Another book I am enjoying quite a bit.  This book is more like a series of short stories - each chapter focusing on a different person and how a book impacts or influences them.  The same book in every case, but different folks and different reactions.  I'm finding each of the characters to be fairly intense in one way or another, but it's an interesting concept for a book and a good read.

Meanwhile, Fletch and I are continuing to listen to The Road to San Donato by Robert Cocuzzo.  This is a memoir of  the author riding (biking) through Italy with his father.  There is more history than I expected and so far not a lot of food (which I had been hoping for - LOL).  The narrator is not the greatest by any means - quite the monotone voice.  But, we will finish it.  We only have a little over 4 hours left (it will still take some time as typically we listen for only 20 minutes after dinner).

And I guess that's a wrap for me.  A sort of long winded post.  Thanks for sticking with me.  Now I need to pour some more coffee, wake up, figure out what to wear today and head to the office.  My hope is to escape shortly after lunch and have some time to stitch or knit this afternoon.  Fletch is grilling steaks for us tonight, so no major dinner prep for me!  Be sure to head over to Kat's Blog to see what everyone else is up to making and reading.  I guarantee you will be inspired!

18 comments:

  1. I know what you mean -- I'm not happy that it took a global pandemic for the higher-ups in my office to realize that we could work quite well from home, but it's been one very happy outcome of it. I have to go in to campus twice today, though, so it's going to be a long one!

    I'm so glad you enjoyed Foster and are enjoying No Two Persons. I think you'll find that the latter wraps up very nicely in the end.

    The sock is looking great, even if it's moving slowly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got lots of good reading and knitting going on, but it sounds like this office time is cutting into it! Here's hoping that today's trip is a quick one, with some relaxing time this afternoon and a good dinner that you don't have to prepare.

    I love Claire Keegan's writing; I just wish her books were more frequent and/or longer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. working from home was one of the benefits of Covid. (that and not catching colds and viruses!). Your socks are fantastic. I am taking a sock break and working on baby stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Bonny . . . I wish Claire Keegan's books were more frequent and/or longer. She really is a master! Hope your day is a good one, Vera, with plenty of time for the things you love best! XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pennsylvania voters did some good things yesterday.

    I'm still weaving in ends on my big blanket; can you imagine? Ugh. Never again will I wait until the end, but do it as I go. (Or I'll not make a scrappy squares blanket ever again.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pandemic worked out well for Daughter also. SIL works from home now so he can be with the baby all day. When he has zoom meetings he goes to his Mom's who loves to spend time with the little one while he get his work done upstairs in a little room they made into an office for him. Win. Win.
    I love that sock. I need to add some of that yarn to my stash. I know I've knit with it before but for the life of me I don't know what I made.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly what you mean about the pandemic. It sure changed life in many ways. I was at a meeting yesterday where we were talking about it and it was commented that maybe that's part of the reason that people seem to be more impatient and even mean-spirited in some online groups. It's sad in many ways but working from home is one great thing.
    Love that sock! The colors are so neat.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't beat a nice steak dinner. My son treated me to one on Monday and it was deelicious. Socks are coming on nicely. I really need to find some quality time to finish my pair.No two persons sound an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the socks and thanks for the book recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree about the pandemic as well... work smarter and that does not mean all together in the same building! I hope today's office visit flies by with plenty of time for knitting or stitching!

    I am so glad you are liking No Two Persons! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in awe with how many books you read! YOWZA!

    I can't wait to see how that skirt comes along. I'm interested to see the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The new sock coming to a finish is always an exciting time for two reasons-a finish and you get to start new ones!!! The work being rearranged was a good thing overall but businesses are still struggling with changes-hope it sorts itself out in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Pandemic was awful and I hope we never experience that again... but I am VERY happy that, awful as it was, I can easily think of so many GOOD things that resulted.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I definitely could NOT go back to working in the office!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think we can feel despair over the pandemic AND also feel grateful for the good changes it prompted. I also find it fascinating how we look back on things we used to do and wonder how we managed - like you going to the office every day. I used to work full time, go to grad school, and have a 2 year old. Now I can barely manage to work full time! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish I had your energy and ambition!

    ReplyDelete
  17. No Two Persons is one of Anne Bogel's picks for the Modern Mrs Darcy bookclub this summer - there's an author chat (in July?!) and I can't wait - the premise of the book is near and dear to my reader heart (I also think we are different readers when we re-read, so we have the ability to experience that "no two persons" thing all by ourselves). Just delighted to read that you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The sock looks great. Your reading sounds quite rewarding. I look forward to Foster. I love Willa Cather's work so now I'm going to look for similarities. I hope your office time is productive and you spent part of today (Friday) working from home. I'm looking forward to your next projects.

    ReplyDelete