Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Unraveled Wednesday 5/24/23

 Hello and Good Morning!

I'm feeling a little drugged.  I just poured my first cup of coffee and have yet to guzzel some down! Mabel slept on the bed all night last night and when that happens, I often wake during the night wondering if there is a tick crawling near or on me.  I know, I know...foolish thoughts, but I cannot help it.  (Yesterday I spoted a tick [thankfully a dog tick, not a deer tick] crawling on the kitchen floor!  They are everywhere!)  Anyway, I got up at 5 to let Mabel out and got back in bed and fell sound asleep until 6:30.  So...just waking up.  The sun is up and it looks to be a promising Wednesday.

And, with it being Wednesday, it is time to link up with Kat and all the folks in her Merry Band of Unravelers to talk making and reading.  Yesterday was all about winding yarn!  First, I wound the yarn for my Shakerag Skirt:


So pretty it almost makes my mouth water...or makes me drool!

I thought I would at least knit my swatch and then cast on, but I did neither.  Boo-Hiss, but perhaps today.  Kat and Kym - did you swatch in the round as the pattern states?  Or on straight needles?  I dont think I have a size 5 circular needle small enough to do a swatch....

I also wound some lovely yarn to make something (not sure what) for my friend Leslie.  She loves purple and is also (horrors!!) allergic to wool.  


This yarn is Cobasi by Hikoo - a combination of cotton, bamboo, silk and a bit of nylon thrown in.  I'm thinking maybe a Hitchhiker or a cowl of some kind...just not sure what.

I did (finally) manage to cast on for a new pair of socks!  the yarn is some that I tried to make into something (can't remember what) a bit ago and it did not work.  Here's hoping that the yarn is better behaved this time around.


15 rows of ribbing completed.  Time to decide on a pattern for the sock!  (See my cute little seahorse stitch marker?)

As I had mentioned previously, I must go to the office today, but I'm hoping to come home shortly after lunch and then devote the afternoon to more yarny goodness.

As far as reading goes, I finished No Two Persons by Erica Bauermeister and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I'm now reading The Last Remains by Elly Griffiths - the lastest from her in the Ruth Galloway series.  I'm only 90 pages in or so, but it's a fun, easy read.

Fletch and I are continuing to listen to "the Road to San Donato" and are enjoying it.  Fletch pulled out an Atlas (yes, we are old people - lol) and located San Donato on the map.  We have under 2 hours left to listen to this, so should wrap up before too long.  We are enjoying, but as I mentioned in a prior post, the narrator is not very good (monotone).

I can feel the coffee slowly beginning to wake me up.  Before I wrap up this post, I want to share a little bit of flowers!  I managed to find one peony blossom with no ants on it (amazing!) and the first Siberian Iris has opened.  (There are also a few wild cherry blooms thrown into the mix.)


The Siberian Iris is not fragrant, but the peony sure is!

Remember to head over to Kat's to check find out what everyone is making and reading.  And, have a wonderful Wednesday!

17 comments:

  1. a hitchhiker would be lovely! I hope the office visit is brief. Just the thought of imaginary ticks gives me the creeps. eep!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo! I love the color of your Skirt Yarn! I knit in the round... on the needle I wanted to knit with...magic loop. I purled the first and last stitch of the round and steeked it when I was done so that I could get a good measurement. I cast on 62 stitches and knit for 6-ish inches. I knit very differently (gauge wise) flat versus in the round, so I though it was important to do the swatch in the round. If your gauge does not differ flat or round, I'd knit flat.

    I am so glad you enjoyed No Two Persons! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your skirt yarn is a lovely color and I hope you have success with a swatch and a cast on. The purple Cobasi and your socks are equally nice, and your bouquet lands quite a nice splash of color. Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those flowers! Just gorgeous. I'm sorry your sleep wasn't too restful and hope the coffee helps.

    As for your swatching dilemma, I do advise swatching in the round. If it helps, here's a reel I posted on IG showing my cheat for doing it without having to steek or do that annoying thing where you drape the yarn across the back: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrV1nczggUm/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might be an old meanie but the bedrooms are off limits to our kitties. One case of mange was enough for a lifetime not to mention the time I went to the Urgent Care thinking I had shingles only to be told I had flea bites. How embarrassing. Even Pup has her own bed now and she seems fine with it. I know my neighbors think I'm nuts but I suit up in a full mesh bug suit when I cut the grass. I am terrified of ticks. I've seen what Lyme and Alpha Gal can do and I don't want either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh! Ticks! I guess they are the price we pay for not having a snowy-cold winter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such pretty flowers! 20 years ago when we moved to FL from Central NY, we had to ticks in NY--now, they are plagued with them every time they just walk in their yards! We have very few here, thankfully, in my yard in FL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that green yarn. I'm finding that I'm gravitating toward shades of green more and more. Perhaps because it's such a restful colour.

    Lovely flowers. I'm seeing lots of irises lately, and I'm starting to think about where I can put them in my own yard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your flowers are lovely (our peonies are close to blooming but not yet) and that skirt is going to be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We rarely had ticks in Spokane, a few over thirty years but not many at all. Here however, we have lots more and they make me nervous too. Especially when we don't have a very cold winter like this past one.
    The yarns are all so pretty. I really like the color you've chosen for your skirt but the purple really draws me. Of course, purple is my favorite color!
    I need to stop making shawls for the hospital and get started on Christmas gifts. The time runs out before I'm ready most years.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many projects! I can't wait to watch them grow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It’s late afternoon, and I’m finally getting around to reading blogs (I had an appointment in Cheyenne and since I was there, I shopped). I hope your day was a good one and that you were able to knit on at least one new project.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely new begginings!
    I'm giggling about the peony and the ants. I always think I find one without ants, only to see them skittering across my counter later on! It's still a few weeks for peony blooms here, but I will have at least one on the peony I planted last year - it's called Coral Charm

    ReplyDelete
  14. My peonies have never been this large and bushy. Hope they open soon, love their scent.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Full of admiration for you knitters and wearers of knitted skirts. Love the purple yarn. Pretty flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have the latest Ellie Griffiths novel on hold at the library. They are such fun and pleasant reads. Your flowers are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have several nice projects in the near future. I look forward to watching your progress. I hope the sock and the yarn cooperate. One never knows. We have an atlas too, along with a dictionary and a field guide for North American Birds. Here's to old school and beautiful flowers from the garden.

    ReplyDelete