Friday, May 26, 2023

TGIF 5/26/23

 Hello and good Friday!

Yes - TGIF!!  This has been a week (at least for me).  You all know that I am itching to retire...that is no secret.  I am *trying* (key operative word) to hold out till the end of the year so that I will get a nice year-end bonus as well as a kicker in November for 25 years with the company.  Many days are just fine, but then there are days that seem unending and I wonder if I can even last another week.  This week has been filled with that type of day - idiot people, idiot questions, etc., etc.  No gory details and I have not (yet) quit.  My mantra right now is "you are 5/12ths of the way through the year - just hang on a little longer."  We shall see.

Meanwhile, it is a holiday weekend here in the States and that is a good thing.  I'm not quite at the weekend, but my 10:00 conference call has been cancelled and I'm hoping my 1 p.m. call will also be cancelled.

Nothing new or spectacular in the cooking/baking department, but last night I did make a favorite - spaghetti and clam sauce with mussels added.


YUM!!  And, our salads included lettuce from the garden.

Yesterday also found me finally swatching for my Shakerag Skirt.


Gauge was attained!  Hoping to cast on a bazillion stitches today and start the skirt.  I cannot wait.  The little round box with the cross stitched top is one I made decades ago.  The box contains my blocking pins.

I also did a little bit of knitting on the green socks and came up with my own pattern which I think will work.  I've only knit 5 rows of it, so more to come on that later.

We have no plans for the long weekend.  I am meeting up with Dee as usual tomorrow morning where, once again, we will attempt to solve the world's problems.  And I will call Leslie tomorrow afternoon.  You may remember that Leslie is my friend going through cancer treatment again (4th time).  She had her last radiation treatment yesterday and has her last chemo next Tuesday, the 30th.  We texted back and forth yesterday, but she was too tired to talk, so we agreed on Saturday afternoon.  She's a wonder and a trooper for sure.

Do any of you have plans for the long weekend?  Anyone heading to the beach?  Or the mountains?  I think I will be content just to be a slug at home.  Whatever you do - make some fun!

13 comments:

  1. You can do it!!! I hope that the rest of the year you have the energy and the fortitude to get that well deserved bonus!!! Fingers are crossed for you my dear :) We have no specific plans yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bonus is a worthy carrot, Vera. (But if you decide it's not worth it, that's okay, too!) I'm so glad your swatch worked out well -- and I hope you like the yarn. (The color is great!) And . . . it's all worthwhile after you cast on ALL those stitches ;-) and get through the first couple of rows!!! Enjoy your long weekend! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. With a bonus to look forward to (and maybe using a few vacation days along the way), you can do it! I hope you and Dee solve all the world's problems as there are plenty of them. Hooray for doing your swatch and being on gauge, now it's time for the epic cast-on. Have a good weekend with plenty of skirt-knitting time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your meal looks so good.
    Hang in there with work. Keep remembering the days when you were full time at the office and how nice it is to WFH now on your own schedule. You can do it! You've got great incentive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at you nailing gauge on your swatch! As for the retirement, only you know what's just right for you. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You’ll know when it’s time to handover the computer: listen to your gut. No grand plans for the weekend just relaxing at home and attending a neighborhood potluck on Sunday. I’m all about low key anymore. Best wishes to Leslie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will be cheering you on the rest of the year to get to that bonus! Every time you're dealing with idiot people and idiot questions, just remember that every day you do is one less day you will have to!

    Have a wonderful time with Dee tomorrow. Sending lots of strength to Leslie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's hard to believe we are almost halfway through the year already. That year end bonus is almost in the bag.
    We had plans this weekend for all the kids and Grands to meet at Daughter's for the weekend but everyone's sick-again. It'll be the same old, same old around here but as tired as I am it's probably good that I didn't have to make that long drive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You sound like my Mom... she wants to retire (and can at any time) and she'll have a decent pension - but it's not quite as much as she makes now, so she keeps working. Personally, I think she also does it to get a bit of a break from my Dad, who retired a couple years ago, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My plan for the weekend is to complain about many things, realize I am being a brat, be grateful for all I have, be sad as I review photos of the military cemeteries here and across the world. And then I'll make the chicken bacon ranch pasta dish you led me to. As for the job, the reward may not be worth seven months of your life. Ask them to split it with you at six months!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We will be slugs at home also. I imagine your friend Leslie looks forward to chatting with you. Cancer can be so brutal. Hang in there with your work. You are getting close.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been one giant slug this weekend... and loving every minute of it! Ha! (I am still in my jammies currently... contemplating getting dressed!) I am excited to see your skirt begin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to retire but I'll have to settle for working part-time instead of full- beginning next year -- 3 days instead of 4 each week. The plan is to keep that up for a few more years. We shall see! Hang in there, Vera!!

    ReplyDelete