Thursday, February 29, 2024

Leap Day!

 Good Morning!

Welcome to the bonus day for 2024.  It's Leap Day!

My gosh we had strong winds last night.  It was howling most of the night.  I think both Mabel and I were a bit unnerved by the noise (Fletch said he slept fine).  I let Mabel out around 4:30 and didn't notice anything (it was still dark), but when I came back downstairs two hours later it was evident some fierce winds had been upon us.


That's the wood backdrop and (hopefully underneath the wood) my archery target at the edge of our woods.  I also noticed that the top of the cold frame is gone (I'm sure it's on the ground in the garden somewhere).  As promised the temps did drop (28 this morning compared to 58 yesterday morning), but temps are supposed to rise again and it should be in the 60's next week.  Up and down and up and down - enough to make a person (or animal) crazy.

Last night I did finally cast on with the new yarn from The Farmer's Daughter for a new pair of socks.  Just barely cast on!


Hopefully today will find me finishing the cuff and starting the pattern.  (And, if you click to enlarge, you might see that my stitch marker is a flip flop...anticipating warmer weather!!).

You know I will be celebrating my last day of work today.  Woo-Hoo!!!  No real plans other than relax, do some making, maybe a nap later (with a good book).  I took leftovers out of the freezer for dinner tonight, so even dinner will be easy.  Wishing you an easy day as well.

17 comments:

  1. The perfect calendar choice for your last day of work! I am ready to cast on with that beautiful yarn too. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The winds were insane here overnight as well... and this mornings walk was a wake up! Bracing... brisk... bitterly cold! Sherman wanted to be done! LOL

    Nice start to those socks! (and hear hear for flip flop weather!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Leap Day! Your sock looks lovely so far, and I'll look forward to seeing it as you make progress. (Which might be faster since today is your last day of work!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LAST DAY LAST DAY LAST DAY! How exciting!
    Too bad you can only celebrate it every four years. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Leap Day and happy last day of work! Those winds were fierce last night. We slept in the downstairs last night. Our trees were rocking. I guess March is coming in like a lion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's a very cold wind blowing here today and I do not like it one bit! What I do like is that today is your last day of work! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. We got Thunder storms at about 3 am on Wednesday - the big booming ones that shake the house. It woke both me and Dave up, and Lemmy came to join us in bed - I think he was a little concerned. It's probably his first big thunderstorm.
    Yesterday was the wind and the temp dropped - we woke up to a dusting of snow this morning - but the temps are supposed to race back up this weekend.

    And congrats on the last day of work and start of your retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HAPPY RETIREMENT VERA!!!! I'm so glad for you my friend. Now is the beginning of freedom. :-)
    We had that crazy wind two days before you did. I read that Wyoming had 99 mph winds! That's crazy. Temps like yours too. It's sure been an odd winter around here.
    I'm back to blogs again, I hope. Whatever we both had was really nasty. I suspect influenza but didn't get tested. We're both still coughing like crazy but feel better.
    Take care my dear friend and celebate tonight!
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy last day of your working life! Here's hoping it's an easy day so you can start retirement in style tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We ended up with some damage as well. Something broke off one of the fence posts at ground level. UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A perfect ending day--the sock looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Last Day, Vera! (Nance's comment gave me a good laugh... But I hope you'll be celebrating EVERY day!!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. HAPPY RETIREMENT, Vera!!!! I know you're going to enjoy waking up without work EVERY day. Congratulations on finishing your long and illustrious professional career. I can't wait to see how you spend your "next act!" XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  14. HAPPY LAST DAY OF WORK!! I just took a walk and it was so cold, it was hard to enjoy!.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hooray for leftovers and Happy Retirement. I predict you will love having a little more free time - or a lot. The wind is blowing a gale everywhere. Here comes March.

    ReplyDelete