Thursday, February 8, 2024

A Lovely Visit 2/8/24

 Good Morning Everyone,

Thank you all for your well wishes for our little trip to DE yesterday.  We made it down and back safely.  Traffic was not nice though.  Going down, we made it in about 1.25 hours.  Not too bad, but sort of heavy traffic on the Blue Route and 95.  What we noticed though was that traffic in the opposite direction has really backed up.  So, we decided on back roads coming home.

We did have a lovely, if brief, visit with my brother and sister-in-law.  Linda had bought a beautiful journal for me (covered in red leather) for a retirement present.  I think this is the journal I will use for my walks post retirement.


We also had Christmas in February!  We received some very nice gifts, among which was a collection of baking spices from Penzy's!!


Ray & Linda lived in the Pittsburgh area for years, so are familiar with Penzy's and order from them all the time.  Also, for those of you in the area, there is a wonderful Olive Oil Shop in Murraysville that they still order from.  Their oils and their balsamic vinegars are amazing - highly recommend.

Anyway, we had a wonderful lunch (homemade soup and bread fresh from the oven) and a nice visit.  Due to traffic, we wanted to get on the road no later than 2 p.m.  We did wander the backroads up to Kennet Square and Chadds Ford, finally ending up on 202 to get home.The ride home was longer, but much less stressful than 95 and the Blue Route.  We had a quiet evening (I listened to The Poisonwood Bible and did a very little knitting; Fletch was in front of the TV) and I went to bed before 10:00!

Today I need to get out some reports this morning and am hoping to walk by the canal this afternoon.  It is supposed to be another nice day (still too dark to tell right now).  Hard to believe the first week of February is over...but that means we are that much closer to SPRING!!


15 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear the trip was a success, even if it involved more time on the road than you would have liked. I had no idea that your brother and SIL lived in my area -- and I had no knowledge of that olive oil shop, so thanks for making me aware of that! Murraysville is a big of a trek for me, but I'll make a note to check it out the next time we're out that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you had such a nice visit! I will do almost anything to avoid 95; it seems like too many people drive like they are on a Nascar track for some reason. I love Penzey's spices and wish I had an olive oil shop nearby. I hope you have a lovely Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that you had such a delightful visit! What lovely little treasures you came home with! :) Happy Thursday... it is supposed to warm up here a bit as well today! Perfect for a nice afternoon walk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a good visit, Vera. What a lovely journal -- and Penzey's is one of my favorite mail-order places. I get most of my spices/herbs from them, and I'm always pleased. Enjoy the weather. XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a long time Penzey's shopper and I love their spices - and their political leanings, too! Dale and I tend to take back roads whenever possible, we love to meander and discover new areas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad the visit went well--the journal is just waiting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful journal and a great idea for how to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had a Penzey's near us when we were in Orlando. We bought a lot of stuff there and at the Spice and Tea Exchange.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad it was a good visit. Do you know the brand name of the journal? I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Penzey's is a treasure. I have a big order coming from them soon. That journal is gorgeous. I'm so glad you had a nice visit, despite a bit of a traffic headache.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful journal! I'm glad you had good visit. After years of commuting on the province's worst highways, Dave and I are a big fan of backroads!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like you had a nice, if quick visit. We had traffic so bad in Oklahoma City, Dallas, Ft. Worth, Houston and San Antonio. I would never live in any of them if I could avoid it. Omaha is bad enough! Glad you got home safely.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Penzy's. I use them all the time. In fact, I need to put in an order now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a nice little road trip! Penzeys is wonderful ... we have a storefront here in Atlanta now and it's so much fun to visit in person.

    ReplyDelete
  15. so glad you had a fun safe trip!!

    ReplyDelete