Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Unraveled Wednesday 2/28/24

 Hello and Good Morning,

It's a rainy and mild morning here.  My computer says it is 56 degrees!  I think it is supposed to rain pretty much ALL day.  Sounds like a good time to stay put and get some making done!

Wednesday is here, so it's time to link up with Kat and her Merry Band of Unravelers to talk about all the making and reading.  I have a finish!!


The Route 66 socks (Zauberball) are finished and already out of the house - LOL.  Fletch didn't want them (he said they were too dark for his taste), so Colin snapped them up last night when he and Mailing were over for dinner.  I'll confess that I'm sort of underwhelmed with them, but I'm glad Colin will show them some love.

I'll spare you a picture of my Hitch on the Move since it looks the same as last week.  However, my March sock yarn arrived the other day from The Farmer's Daughter!  And I already caked it up!



I am loving these colors!  A cast on has not yet occurred...but I'm thinking today will be the day.  And, I'm going to try a new-to-me pattern - it's This One (free on Ravelry).

Reading has been so good!  I have 4 finishes since last week.  (Practicing for retirement has helped!!)  First up, Fletch and I finished our after dinner read of The Ride of Her Life by Elizabeth Letts.  Fabulous read!  5 stars.  Next up for us will be listening to a Bill Bryson book.

House Lessons by Erica Bauermeister was a very quick and satisfying read.  Another 5 stars from me.  Last night I finished The Eyes and the Impossible by Dave Eggers which I loved.  Once again 5 stars!  Thank you Bonny for recommending this one.  I did get the book from the library and the illustrations are so nice, but the story!  Simply wonderful.

Lastly, I listened to a book one morning while knitting and/or stitching.  Really a short story (the audio is just over an hour).  It is A Mind of her Own by Paula McLain which is the story of Marie Curie while in school and meeting Pierre Curie.  This is an audio book I got for free from Audible some time ago.  Not bad...I'm not a huge fan of short stories and I thought this could have been longer, but it was a pleasant way to spend one morning.  Now I'm in the midst of listening to Where the Line Bleeds by Jesmyn Ward (another freebie I got from Audible).  So far, so good - I really like Ward's writing.

As I mentioned, Colin & Mailing came over for dinner last night.  Fletch grilled some of the best lambchops we have ever had.  I cooked up some baby potatoes and broiled some asparagus to go with the chops.  Let's for a moment talk desserts!  Yesterday I made a batch of new-to-me cookies:  Maraschino Chocolate Cherry Cookies which are pretty tasty!


And...Colin and Mailing brought over a Peanut Tart.  Oh my!  The recipe is from Smitten Kitchen and it is fabulous!  Sort of like a pecan pie, but peanuts...kind of like a PayDay candy bar...you get the idea.

Well, now I'm hungry!  Time to pour another cup of coffee and see if I can find something for breakfast.  Be sure to check out other Unraveled posts - there is always abundant inspiration!


15 comments:

  1. That new sock yarn... so springy! And I know you were not wowed by this zauberball color, but I like the moody, broody mood of it!

    Didn't you just LOVE The Eyes? I listened and loved it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get something for breakfast after you've described so much good food! I have a Jello and Cool Whip "salad" recipe that uses maraschino cherries and I was wondering what else I could use them in. I will definitely try those cookies someday and possibly the peanut tart.

    Those socks look wonderful to me and I'm glad they found a home so quickly. I'm also glad you enjoyed The Eyes and the Impossible. It was a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never met a Smitten Kitchen recipe I didn't love . . . so I can just imagine that Peanut Tart. And now I want some for breakfast . . . (And those socks are really great, Vera. I like 'em!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad your socks found a home so quickly. I liked them.
    Chocolate and cherry are such a great pairing. I admit that I'm not a huge fan of maraschino, but with chocolate, who knows?
    I just started The Berry Pickers by Amanda Peters. It has the alternating narrators device, which I dislike, but it's pretty good so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colin has good taste in his socks! And peanut tart sounds amazing -- though I'm probably the only one in my house who would eat it, so it would be dangerous to try that recipe out! We've got a day of rain here, and it might change to snow by this evening because the temperature is supposed to drop. I'm so sick of this roller coaster of weather!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that color! I'm so into that these days. And I loved House Lessons--thanks for recommending.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my God. A PayDay pie. Why didn't I ever think of that??!!
    Sounds like a wonderful dinner...and lucky Colin (b/c those socks will go with A LOT).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Smitten Kitchen recipes are always good and that one sounds really great. I'm happy that you've read some terrific books lately, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Colin's new socks look great. While it's not THAT cold today, I bet he appreciates a nice pair of wool socks. I know I'm appreciating mine today. (Any typos blame on Giroux. I'm trying to type while he is on my lap. It's like keyboard gymnastics.)

    The new yarn is beautiful. That's much nicer than last month.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am always willing to talk desserts. The cookies look so pretty. I'm glad Colin likes the socks. The colors do look manly. What pretty new yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the finished socks Vera and I must say I love the yarn we just received for Sock Squad…more of my kind of colors. I wish it would rain here, I miss having rainy cold days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on the sock finish! Those cookies look amazing. Perfect for ending February with a sweet treat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job on the socks!!! The cookies look delicious and the new yarn is sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those cookies look scrumptious! My mother used to make cherry nut bread, but the idea of adding chocolate chips -- pure genius! Gotta make them for my cherry-loving son.

    ReplyDelete