Monday, February 5, 2024

Weekending 2/5/24

 Good Morning All,

We had some beautifully sunny days this weekend that were so welcome!  The air is still a bit crisp - particularly in the early morning hours and late in the day, but what a difference those rays of sun make!

Thank you all for the thoughts on my too-tight sock.  I will not be re-doing it in any shape or form...no interest.  However, my friend Carol is scheduled to come visit in early March.  She has smaller feet than me (and not the high instep that I have).  I will have her try on the sock - if it fits her and she likes it, I will knit a second one.  If not, then the toe will be stuffed with catnip and Mabel will have a gorgeous new toy!

Speaking of Mabel, Fletch and I were enjoying breakfast Sunday morning when I saw a fox trot by on the lawn RIGHT NEXT TO THE PATIO!!  By the time I stood up he was gone, but I opened the door and called for Mabel who, it turns out, was sitting on the patio right by the door.  It was like the two creatures ignored each other.  I'm sure they saw each other, but paid no mind.  Mabel did not come in - instead she stepped further out onto the patio and started rolling around on the cement.  I did step out and pick her up and brought her in, but she did not want to be in!

How was your weekend?  Mine was lovely.  Friday night I made "eggplant pizza" for dinner.


Easy-peasy and delish!  You just slice an eggplant (no need to peel), brush it with some EVOO and herbs (garlic, oregano, s&p), put a slice of tomato on top and brush again with the EVOO and herbs.  Pop it in the oven (360 degrees) for roughly 15-20 minutes.  Pull it out and put mozarella on top...drizzle with EVOO and back in the oven for another 15 minutes or so.  Quite tasty!  Fletch wanted some pepperoni on his, so I put some of that on a few of them under the cheese.  One medium sized eggplant provided dinner and some leftovers as well.

Saturday morning I met up with Dee for a few delightful hours of being together.  Dee worked on some stitching and I knit on a new sock.


Crazy Zauberball in the colorway "Route 66."  Not sure how that name came about, but a plain vanilla sock that I don't need to think about is just what the doctor ordered.

That night I made enchiladas from THIS COOKBOOK using some chicken.  I changed things up a bit adding many more veggies - some onion and bell pepper and some frozen corn.  I forgot to take a picture, but they turned out really, really good.  Again, plenty of leftovers which is nice.

I also caked up my February Sock Squad yarn.


The citrine skein did not play nice on my swift and I had to wind that skein by hand.  Nothing has been started yet, but I've decided to do some socks afterall.  I may do a heart design near the top of the cuff - but fear not - it will not be colorwork.  Rather the design will be done in purls.  Maybe, we shall see.

That won't happen today though.  I'm heading to the office in a bit to take care of a few things.  I don't know if I mentioned or not, but there is now a third person who will be taking over some of my responsibilities.  She emailed me last week asking if we could find some time together to review some of the reports I do as she is not familiar with them.  And, I have a conference call at 11:30, so will do that at the office.  A stop at Trader Joe's will happen as well to pick up a few things.

Time to pour another cup of coffee, wake up Fletch and dry my hair.  Hope your week is off to a great start!

17 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a great weekend! (and have a SUPER busy Monday!) Happy Monday ... and Mabel... STAY SAFE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The eggplant pizza looks delicious.

    Hope you have a nice quiet week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your weekend sounds lovely, that fox so close to the patio, yikes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that Carol will possibly have a nice pair of socks or Mabel will have the nicest catnip toy around! Your current sock has great colors and I'm sure you'll figure something out for your new sock yarn. Three people to do your job - they really should have paid you more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the eggplant pizza idea--thank you. Every recipe I see requires that you pre-salt the eggplant and drain it. I hate all that bother, and Rick has high blood pressure, so salt is an issue.

    Pretty, pretty yarns!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh! I really like the colors on your new sock. So pretty! Just knowing Mabel was outside when the fox ran by would have given me a heart attack! To then find out they were so close to each other would have been even worse. I'm so glad that she's safe and sound.
    Another person doing your job? I think you were under-valued for sure. The day is getting closer. What is the first thing you think you'll do on the first day of retirement?
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always so worried about the foxes. They come right up to the house to look for leftover food. I did some research and most experts say that foxes don't bother cats because they fight back. The one I see out there now is HUGE. Biggest fox I've ever seen. I don't think anything would win a battle with that one. He even scares me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That eggplant looks delicious. And what a brilliant formula! I'm the only eggplant lover in my house...and I do LOVE it...but I rarely-if-ever go to the trouble to make eggplant parm. (Breading it feels like such an ordeal.) So I'm going to remember this. Even easy enough for a lunch!
    Now--that fox. I'm very curious. I won't pepper you with all my thoughts and questions here, but we had a resident fox in CO (who stalked our disabled dog AND put his nose and a paw in our kitchen--climbed right up 3 patio steps!!). Those urban foxes were quite thin. I'm wondering if 'your' fox is healthy enough that he's not...um...concerned? Regardless, Mabel, please go inside!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great weekend! Wouldn't you love to know what Mabel was thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Phew, that was a close call for Mabel! I'm so glad she and the fox seem to have a detente. The eggplant sounds really good and like an easier way to get a fix when I'm in the mood for eggplant parm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love zauberballs! That sock looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love to see wildlife but not THAT closely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. bummer about the crescent moon sock ... and looking forward to seeing the purled hearts in your next one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the notion of making a toy for Mabel out of the "unloved" sock, Vera! Lucky Mabel. And I really like the colors of your new sock yarns together. Can't wait to see what you do with them! And I'm so glad the new recipe was a good one. I love that cookbook . . .

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like Mabel and the fox have a mutual respect for each other - but I'd be nervous about that lasting! Eggplant pizza sounds good. And I have that cookbook sitting right on my desk and need to peruse it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That eggplant pizza sounds delicious and easy. I might have to try it. Your sock and the new yarn look like fun to me - rather a contrast but it is nice to have some variety.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I slice eggplant lengthwise and brush with balsamic before roasting and adding cheese. Will add tomato next time!

    ReplyDelete