Monday, January 29, 2024

Weekending 1/29/24

 Good Morning All,

Well!  We made it through the last weekend in January!!  Our days here in eastern PA are noticeably longer (meaning more daylight hours) - even on days like yesterday when it rained ALL day long.  So much rain over an already saturated lawn.  We had standing pools/lakes/whatever in our backyard.

How was your weekend?  Mine was very nice, thank you.  Dee and I met up Saturday morning for some quality chatting and knitting time.  Sunday was spent learning something new!  I'm here to tell you that an "old dog" can learn new tricks!


That's a pretty crappy picture of my new MacBook!  My first Apple thing and I love it.  (I still have an android phone...but for how long???)

I've only been using my work laptop for the last 4 years.  My personal laptop died so long ago I can't even remember when.  But with retiring (YAY), I needed to get a personal one and Colin convinced me to go with a MacBook.  I have not found it easier or harder than a windows "machine," just different.  But what I do know is that I love it.  Colin came over yesterday morning and got me all set up and I spent some time pulling up sites and adding my password (new device and all that stuff).

What I had not realized is that is has NO USB ports!  But, I've ordered a multi-port adapter that will have not only a USB port, but also an HDMI port so that I can plug in my monitor (and thus have a BIG screen).  Ordered the adapter yesterday and it will be here tomorrow!

We also ordered and downloaded Microsoft Office so that I can have word and excel.  I have a lot of stuff (personal) in excel and use word for some things...I wanted those since they are familiar and I'm comfortable with them.  At some point, I may switch to the Mac programs, but not initially.

Today has been nice.  I'm posting later than usual because I slept in and made breakfast for Fletch and me.  Kind of practicing what it will be like when I retire.  I guess I'm kind of semi-retired now...or as my brother labeled me over the weekend, I'm a "short timer."  I'm also happy!!

I've put a fresh tablecloth and napkins on the table and have a first load of wash going.  I'm planning an easy day with making and reading.  Oh and I received notice that my next (February) shipment of Sock Squad yarn from The Farmer's Daughter should arrive today.  Hooray!

May this week find you enjoying life and doing something fun!

18 comments:

  1. You're Easing Into retirement, and I love it! Soon, you'll find that retirement is just as busy as working, but in a different, more enjoyable way. It's very self-fulfilling. Can't wait for you to join the ranks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you've entered this "pre-retirement" period and are ready for full retirement! Almost everybody I know who is retired has wondered how they found time to work, and I know you've got plenty of things to keep you busy. A new laptop that you're not swearing at and a shipment of yarn makes for a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to work on Macs all the time (newspaper industry was all Mac at one point), and I loved it. I do have an iphone (work supplied).. but like you I think they are no harder or easier - just different - and it doesn't take long to get used to them

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited for you! You are easing into retirement beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the new laptop! I’ve owned three Macs over the years and used them at work all the time. I prefer them over other brands, but can use both. I didn’t realize the new Macs don’t have USB ports. Mine is about 10 years old: it’s a workhorse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scary stuff, New computers, Best of luck with it,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vera, once again I am grateful to you for forging this retirement path ahead of me. I will also have to buy a personal laptop for the first time in forever and I'm considering a MacBook. Cheers to making good decisions! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have fun! I have only used Apple products for--yikes--30 years now and love them (I don't have an ipad, because I have a kindle and wish Apple made Kindle).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love my macbook (which is old) and I've had an iphone for like forever. You will be very happy for a long time together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a longtime Mac user and I think you will love your new laptop. I've gotten so used to mine that I actually struggle a bit when I have to use a PC! I hope the rain has cleared up by now near you -- we've transitioned to flurries here. Hope the rest of your Monday is enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such an energetic, joyful post. A fresh tablecloth sounds like a fine way to greet a Monday, if you ask me. And Macs...I didn't realize one could use the Microsoft Office Suite on them. (Goes to show how much I know in this department!). So glad Colin got you up and running and that all's going swimmingly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have an android phone too-a Google Pixel. There's no way I would spend that much money on an iphone. Having said that, I LOVE the iPad that my son gave me for Mother's day two years ago. The only bad thing about it is that when it dies I will have to cough up the money to replace it because I don't think I can live without it now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another long-time Apple user here . . . I'm glad you're happy with your MacBook! If you decide to switch to an iPhone, you'll be amazed at how well and easily they work together. (Back in the "old days," Mac and Microsoft did NOT play nice together, but they do a better job getting along these days.) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. Did not realize Window programs can be used on a Mac. I have base models of laptops and was sorry to see the DVD/CD trays are no longer. We've had tons of rain also. Not functioning well enough to go out so I don't care!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have had an iPhone for a.long.time. And I made the switch to a MacBook some years ago. I have not once regretted it and I really like my MacBook. I am seconding Kym's thoughts on how nicely Apple products work together... no needing to download photos to some "place" and then upload them to another "place" Likewise with all the Apple "things" I have a running Grocery Note that I add things to and it syncs to all. It really makes life easier!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The school system where I worked furnished us with Apple computers. Before the day of laptops, we had the big old desk units - shared with an office mate. When I retired, I bought a MacBook and I have really enjoyed it. I hope you enjoy yours, you short-timer you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm on my third MacBook (and 4th? iPhone) ... you're gonna love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love my new Mac! I opted for desktop rather than laptop -- my iPad or phone are sufficient for anything that I do on-the-go. I can't imagine not having Microsoft Office -- or USB ports (so I have an adapter, too, though haven't needed to use it yet)!

    ReplyDelete