Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Unraveled Wednesday 1/24/24

 Good Morning Everyone!

Well, the big thaw is happening.  It was above freezing all night and I could hear EVERYTHING dripping (thankfully outside and not inside).  When I let Mabel out at 5 a.m. I saw an Amazon box on my back patio!  Yesterday (late afternoon) I had realized I was out of Cafe du Monde coffee, so I ordered several cans.  The confirmation email told me it would be delivered today between 4 a.m. and 8 a.m.  They were not kidding!!

It's Wednesday and I will be going back to the office today.  I swear I am busier at work than I have been in the past 4 years!!  Today I am meeting with Heather - one of the people who will be taking over some of my responsibilities.  We will do a bit of training and hopefully I will be out of there before lunch time.  Yesterday I was also able to finally secure meeting space (and hotel rooms) for Kevin's upcoming meeting in Georgia.  The first two hotels I called were booked solid for meeting space the last week in February which I found surprising and the one I finally found is pretty pricey in my opinion.  Overnight rooms are $239 (nothing fancy, just a regular Hilton) and the charge for the meeting space is over $1,000 for the day plus a guaranteed minimum of at least $60 per person for food.  Back in the day (pre-pandemic) I never agreed to pay for meeting room space - that was always waived.  Times have changed!

Anyway, it is Wednesday which means it's time to link up with Kat and her Merry Band of Unravelers for Unraveled Wednesday.  Let's talk knitting!

I had mentioned last week my woes with the Farmer's Daughter Sock Squad yarn that arrived.  First I couldn't do a twisted rib for the cuff to save my life.  Then I couldn't do a cable pattern for a sock.  Finally it is all coming together.  I sketched out (in Excel) what I wanted and voila!


A basic plain vanilla sock (the yarn spoke and I listened) with a row of crescent moons just under the cuff.  The crescent moons are knit using the mini skein that came with the main skein.  


A little closer view of the crescent moons - my hand is in the cuff stretching it out a bit.  I plan to use the mini skein for the toes of the socks as well.  I have roughly 20 more rows to go before the heel flap.  My plan was to get there by today...or even past the flap and heel turn, but I seem to have spent more time stitching than knitting this past week.  It's all good - making is making!

Reading is still slow for me.  I'm sure it will pick up again once I'm no longer working.  In the meantime, I am still listening to "The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store" and still reading "George:  A Magpie Memoir."  Fletch and I finally finished listening to "Fox and I."  So glad that one is over!

At Christmas, Fletch picked up THIS BOOK for me and we have decided to read this after dinner.  It is great so far!  We are roughly 50 pages in and thoroughly enjoying it.

Time for me to get moving and pour a second cup of coffee, dry my hair and figure out what to wear for my trek to the office.  I hope everyone has a wonderful Wednesday!


18 comments:

  1. The sock is beautiful and you have found the perfect pattern the yarn wishes you knit,(always makes the knitting more enjoyable.)
    The Ride of Her Life is on my read list. My sister read the book and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sock is just charming, Vera! I love the yarn and the pattern you've chosen. And I'm not surprised you're so busy at work . . . now that the end is near! After all that time, I'm sure there are many ends that you need to/want to tie up (and other people want you to tie up!). Here's to a good day! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your sock design and those colors look great together! You and Fletch find the best books to read. I asked John if he was interested in reading together after dinner and he looked at me like I was nuts. I guess the answer was no. I hope you have a quick Wednesday at the office!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the simplicity of the sock.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sock is gorgeous, Vera! I love those little moons! I am nodding with Bonny... you and Fletch do indeed pick the best books! (and I am laughing out loud at her question to John... Steve would look at me like I had suddenly sprouted two-heads! He does NOT read books, ever!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't help but laugh when I read that you finished Fox and I...because I imagined you both taking a BIG breath of relief! I'll be curious how the next one plays out for you. (I got choked up just reading the blurb on your link.)
    Crescent moons--what a fun sock detail. Maybe you could have a whole set of moon phase socks...?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the moons! They're so simple but so effective. Seems like work is making you really appreciate your decision to retire -- not a bad thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. your busy because you are retiring! how exciting!! Love love love the moons! I never thought of that for an added sock detail.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Making is making sure enough! Love the little moons and your plan to use the accent colour throughout, what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The crescent moons are perfect. They would look cute a few rows from the toe too.

    Have "fun" at the office. Oh well, every training session gets it closer to being Heather's work.

    Those prices are CRAZY!!! That's why we are only going down to Stephen's for long-weekends. The week day prices are exorbitant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That new sock is beautiful--nice job on the designing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the crescent detail on that sock. It would look great in so many colour combinations, too. Well done.

    Our big thaw started a couple of days ago. The icicles that formed on the east side of the house were astonishing. Rick had to go knock them off lest they malform the gutters and splash guards. It's grey and foggy today with intermittent rain, and my back yard is floody. I'm crossing my fingers about my basement, but everso glad to see all that snow leaving.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those moons are so cute! That is such a clever idea to personalize a pair of vanilla socks.
    Thaw is right. My beautiful snow is gone and we're swimming in mud and it's only going to get worse with all this rain heading our way. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that sock is great! I hope everything went quickly at the office.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those half moons are perfect! and I'm loving the almost finished cacti from yesterday. (not sure about that fox, though?!_

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good golly you are one busy woman. I love the design on the sock cuff and the cacti project from yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your sock Vera and what a fun design! I ended Up doing a vanilla sock… I’m just not too keen on the colors.

    ReplyDelete