Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Unraveled Wednesday 1/3/24

 Good Morning Everyone,

My it's a chilly morning out there.  My friend Carol told me it is supposed to snow on Saturday, but who knows?  It is cold enough to snow though.

Before we get into the fun things - making and reading - some BIG news!!  Yesterday I gave notice to my bosses that I will be retiring!!  Woo-Hoo!  The deed is done and it is such a good feeling.  My plan is to work through the end of February and then be finished.  I'm excited and cannot wait.

Now it is time to join Kat and her Merry Band of Unravelers to talk making and reading.  Surprisingly, I do have a finish!!  I had hoped to have a new cast on Christmas Eve which did not work.  Then I thought I would cast on Christmas Day, but when we got home I was too tired.  Instead, I cast on 12/26/23 for a new sock and I finished it New Year's Day!  A speedy record for moi.


Initially I thought I would do the cuff and heel in a different color, but decided to go with mini stripes instead and then the toe in the second color.  The gold yarn is Stroll from KnitPicks and the colorway is "Treasure," so this is the first Treasure Sock.  The blue was some left over I had of Miss Babs Yummy 2 ply in the colorway Dark Orion.  The pattern at the top was taken from a free pattern:  Summit Socks from October House Fiber Arts.

I also made sure to cast on Treasure Sock #2 yesterday!  I have not gotten far, but it's a start.


This year I did manage to have a New year's Day cast on - something I don't think I've ever done before.  A few weeks back when out with Dee I picked up a skein of worsted weight yarn to make some fingerless mitts.  Specifically the Appleseed Mitts by Thea Coleman from the 8th MDK Field Guide.  This pattern calls for a cable cast on which I had never done before (easy-peasy and fun).  I've only managed to get the ribbing done so far, but I like it (the yarn I'm not crazy about though - Malabrigo Worsted).


Finally, remember the hat I had cast on and was knitting in Lopi?  This hat:


One Saturday I was out with Dee and was joyfully knitting along on this when all of a sudden:


Out of nowhere, the yarn was broken.  I knit a sweater (Sigla) out of Lopi and never came across this problem.  So, I was annoyed.  The hat has been in time out ever since, but will soon come out to be worked on once again.  I have some hot pink Lopi which should look very nice with the black.  Perhaps I'll have something to show next Wednesday.

Very little reading was done over the holidays!  That is so unlike me.  I guess I have been in a reading slump of sorts.  Anyway, Fletch and I are continuing to listen to Fox and I: an Uncommon Friendship but in my opinion it is not great and honestly I have a hard time remembering what we have listened to!  Actually, that's a problem I have with audio books in general.

I'm about a third of the way through George: A Magpie Memoir by Frieda Hughes.  It's a bit unbelievable to me that someone would let a bird "poo" all over them and their kitchen, but maybe that's just me.  An interesting bit is that the author is the daughter of Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes.

The next Read With Us discussion is slated for Tuesday, January 9th.  I have yet to start the book!  I'm anxioius to read The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store but I'm still a long way from moving up in the queue at my library.  I did download a copy from Audible (I have so many credits!!), but am reluctant to start it since I don't really enjoy audio books and since I don't typically remember what I listened to.  Someone (I think Mary) suggested that I "up" the speed of my listening - thus making me pay more attention.  I may give that a try this afternoon.

Meanwhile, the work emails are flying back and forth so it is promising to be a somewhat busy day.  I have an eye doctor appointment at 11 but otherwise intend to stay inside on this chilly day.  Happy Hump Day!

19 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your upcoming retirement! Just think of all the time you'll have to do the things you enjoy. I bet you'll wonder how you ever found time to work!

    Your treasure sock is lovely and the Malabrigo looks pretty even if it's not your favorite. I'm sorry about the Lopi, but hot pink will look great with the black. My weather says we're supposed to get 8" of snow on Saturday but I'm thinking strong anti-snow thoughts. Don't worry about H&E Grocery Store. I hope you can finish, but I also hope you'll join the discussion even if you don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait to welcome you to the Ranks Of The Retired! Hooray! What wonderful news. You will be sorely missed at your job, I'm sure.

    That sock is lovely; the colours go so well with the pattern. Again, as I always say, it will be a travesty to cover such handsome socks with pantlegs.

    Too bad about the snarly break in that yarn! An unwelcome surprise for certain.

    I can't listen to books; I only like to listen to my own voice in my head for books. It's a shame, too, since I often would love to be read to, but I find fault with the way narrators read to me. (I sound terrible, I know.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited to hear about your retirement! And I got my sock squad shipping notice so socks will be back on the needles so!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Vera! February will come fast. Enjoy the wrap-up and anticipation of an exciting chapter on your horizon.
    I'm admiring the detail just below the cuff of your sock...but I'm also enamored with the fabric in your background? Is that a tablecloth?
    I chuckled about the bird poo'ing...but I have to say that when you mentioned the author's lineage, I was a little less surprised! (We did keep a bantam chicken in our kitchen for quite a long time. Though she was excellent about roosting on a chair with paper towels below her. A very cooperative girl, she was.)
    Happy New Year to you, Vera.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So exciting to only have a few months before retiring! Good for you! The new sock is so pretty! I like the mini-stripe! The yarn flaws drive me crazy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Vera on your upcoming retirement… that is so exciting! Love the sock you are working on, such a lovely color. I really do not like it when yarn breaks or there are a ton of knots, very annoying and disappointing too

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! Finally your retirement notice. I'm so happy for you Vera. The time will pass speedily and you'll join the ranks of the rest of us oldies but goodies. :-)
    Those socks are really cute but I'm sorry about the hat. Yarn that misbehaves like that can be so frustrating.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the retirement announcement. Fletch's new socks look great and just in time for some REALLY chilly weather.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Once that first step is taken toward retirement, time moves quickly. You’ll be happy with your decision. The sock looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the soon to be retirement! It's such a great feeling to get up in the morning and know someone is paying you for doing NOTHING. Now if I could just convince The Mister that we've earned the right to relax a bit-it's only been 13 years since we retired....lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on the retirement announcement! Have you put up a giant countdown clock at your house yet? LOL. The sock looks nice and I do like the blue stripes.

    I always had issues paying attention to audiobooks, but I've found the key for me is listening while I'm doing something that is fairly mindless but not distracting (like running, folding laundry, chopping things for dinner, scrubbing the bathroom). Both of my parents happened to read the book while we were with them in Florida, and they both really liked it (and they don't tend to like the slightly weirder books that I do).

    ReplyDelete
  12. CONGRATULATIONS! Vera I'm so happy for you! Tim is retiring at the end of February (well, going down to part time) so we should have a party!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on choosing a date for your retirement, Vera! I knit some Appleseed Mitts a few years ago and really enjoyed the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  14. woohoo on your upcoming retirement!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the new sock!

    The weather has definitely turned here - we had a mix of sleet and snow today with more on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on your upcoming retirement. Once I made the decision and followed through, it was wonderful. You have done quite a little knitting. The sock is very pretty. I like the gold and contrasting color.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on your upcoming retirement! That is the most excellent news! Woo hooo!

    That Lopi hat problem is easily fixed, just cut out that messy bit and then you can full the two strands back together again very easily.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh my goodness! Congratulations on RETIREMENT! I am so excited for you :) any break in a yarn is a disappointment. Baby Holly did some but I did buy a skein once that had over 15 breaks and I messaged them and received another skein of yarn as compensation (excellent customer service)

    ReplyDelete