Monday, May 6, 2024

Weekending 5/6/24

 

Hello There!

How was your weekend?  Ours was a chilly and wet one.  Both days.  Temps were in the 80's last week, but this weekend each day was a struggle to make it to 50 degrees.  The lack of warmth and lack of sun did not stop the iris from blooming!

The dreary weather made for some good days of stitching, knitting and reading.  In between chores on Saturday (scrubbing the kitchen floor, etc.), I managed to finish the second gold and peat sock!


They are pretty and look great (I think), but what a PITA to knit!!  The gold yarn (Wildfoote from Brown Sheep Company in the color way "Goldenrod") is so pretty but also so rustic.  Actually rough to work with and hard on my hands.  The green color (Backyard Fiberworks 100% super wash merino in the color way "Peat") was wonderful to knit.  Even though there is no nylon in that yarn, it is stretchy and just feels so nice.  The bonus for me:  Fletch loves the socks.

There was also stitching done, but I'll wait until tomorrow to show that.

I had a moment of FOMO when I saw Araignee's Post relating to the Maryland Sheep & Wool weekend...but the last time I was there was a rainy day and it was miserable!  Plus it's a long drive and the traffic is horrible to get there.  I did have a dream Friday night that I went, but had a driver take me.  I was able to sit in the back of a comfy car and knit instead of battling the traffic!  LOL. I think that's the only way to go now.

Yesterday was, of course, Cinco de Mayo.  We headed over to Colin & Mailing's in the afternoon.  Anna and Otto were there and Zhongren came too (Bonnie is back in China for several weeks).  When we arrived, all the animals came to the front door to greet us:  Otto (Anna's dog) and Marcel and Talbot.  They all get along so well.




Colin grilled chicken and shrimp for tacos and we had guacamole, and rice and beans to go with it.  Mailing had made a key lime pie for dessert!  If only the weather had been nicer and we could have been outside.  But, it was wonderful to be with family and have good food!

Today is another errand day (drugstore), but I hope to find time to stitch and knit.  I hope your day provides opportunity for whatever you want to do!

13 comments:

  1. We had the same weather here all weekend -- so miserable! But it did make me a little less sad that I was missing out on MDSW. I have been there when it's rainy and it's just not as fun. The socks look wonderful. Here's hoping the rustic nature of the Wildfoote means that the toes and heels are extra durable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love love love those socks!! We had taco salad for dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those socks are lovely, Vera! But your Cinco de Mayo feast sounds so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some great socks! We had tacos for two nights in a row and this morning my tummy is raising some serious objections. I never learn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your posts always make me so hungry!
    You know I love those socks...those colors...Reading your description, I thought to myself, 'Those color names perfectly match their corresponding yarn characteristics!' Goldenrod, well, yes, it is agitating...uncomfortable...for some people. And anything 'peat' *should* be soft and lovely to have in the hands!'
    So glad Fletch likes them. Looks like they'll be a match to that plaid shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful socks. The colours are so perfect together.
    I miss seeing irises; it seems like no one around here plants them anymore, and we just don't have the room. I think they're so elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Cinco de Mayo celebration sounds like fun. We almost went for Mexican food for lunch but settled on salads at a 50's diner type restaurat. I'm glad you get to spend so much time with the kids.
    Blessings
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Same weather here! And ooooof 'rustic yarn'---never again! Life is too short!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your iris are so pretty and so are your socks! We didn't do anything for Cinco de Mayo (just leftovers) but your menu sounds especially delicious. If/when you go to MDS&W with a driver, let me know. I'd share the cost and would love to be chauffeured. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's been chilly and rainy here, too, and it seems like it's going to be that way for most of the week. Your Cinco de Mayo gathering sounds so fun and delicious! Dale and I had tacos. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those iris!!! Oh, Vera! They are just beautiful -- and so prolific. Magic! Our weather has really cooled down, too. And it appears that it'll stay that way. But not freezing, so I'm glad for that! Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My iris patch is minimal this year, and not a bloom in sight.
    I see fish tacos advertised, not sure about that, but they can't be as bad as kale. Temps dropping here too next week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The socks look great and I'm glad Fletch likes them. Aren't iris amazing? They are so beautiful and they look so fragile yet they do stand up to some rain and wind. Yours are lovely.

    ReplyDelete