Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Unraveled Wednesday 5/8/24

 Hello, Hello!

I'm a bit groggy...still waking up.  After letting Mabel out at 5:30, I fell back asleep until 7.  I was also awake in the middle of the night...grrrr...and this time I turned the light on and read for 20 minutes or so.  Not sure if it helped, but it was kind of nice to do.

So, here we are at Unraveled Wednesday and it's time to link up with Kat and her Merry Band of Unravelers to talk all about what we are making and what we are reading.  I don't know about you, but I always find inspiration in others' unraveled posts (my TBR list also grows enormously on Wednesdays!).

If you read my post on Monday, you know that I finished up the Peat and Gold socks.  Not wanting to be without socks on the needles, I promptly started a new pair using my April Sock Squad yarn from The Farmer's Daughter.  I am loving these two colors together.


The pattern I've chosen is Fairy Maiden from This Handmade Life (pattern is free on Ravelry).  A pretty pattern, but one that requires a bit of concentration (some cables, some eyelets), in other words, not a pattern to knit on when I meet up with Dee.  So...I will need to cast on something simple and mindless to work on tomorrow morning when Dee and I gather together.  I may do another pair of shortie socks for a friend who lives in Florida.  A stash dive is in order!

Now for the reading update.  I finished Notes From the Henhouse and returned it to the library.  Just ok, nothing earth-shattering.  There are only about 25 or 35 pages left for me in This Other Eden by Paul Harding.  This is a book my friend Nina recommended.  Wow!  What a powerful story.  It is a novel based on the story (true) of Malaga Island off the coast of Maine.  Intolerance, lack of justice, etc. etc.  Difficult at times to read, but I highly recommend it.  I will be finishing it today.

Fletch and I are still listening to "West With Giraffes" after dinner.  I've gotten used to the narrator and don't find him quite as annoying as I did at the outset.  LOL.  I think we have roughly 4.5 hours left of listening.  The story is a good one.

That's it for me!  I need to check the wash I got going a little bit ago and my stomach is complaining of being empty, so I'd best get some food as well.  Hope your Wednesday is a good one!

13 comments:

  1. Thunder woke me up this morning and it seems like it will be a warm, humid, and rainy day. Your sock is beautiful, both the pattern and the yarn (and I really like your tablecloth)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new sock is lovely! My kitty alarm clock has been going off about 7 these days but I am still waking up at 5. She trained me well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new FD yarn is a gorgeous combination -- so gentle. I think a stash dive shortie sock for a Floridian sounds like the perfect meet-up knit! I've got to a portable something mindless on my needles soon. Both projects in my mental queue take up space and focus. (A summer sweater and a 'mid-mod' blanket to gift.)
    Have fun with Dee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are knitting so many pretty socks these days! I love the colors of this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to get the pattern and guess what--it was already in my library! I may have to knit that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was awakened by a strong thunderstorm at 2 a.m., so I'm right there with you on the grogginess! I really like the new socks, though I can see how they would not mix well with socializing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colors of your new socks remind me of ice cream! And that's a really pretty pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's a nice sock pattern! I will have to add that one to the Queue!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your sock Vera, pretty color and you can never go wrong with Olivia’s patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! Those colors are marvelous together, Vera! And thanks for putting the pattern on my radar! I also got myself on the wait list for This Other Eden... thank you for that recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This new sock is really pretty! I like a more complicated every once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The new socks are pretty and I'm glad you're enjoying the yarn after those Peat & Gold ones. I read This Other Eden last summer when it was on the Booker prize list; the story was new to me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have a pretty new sock on the go. Like you I find lots of inspiration in these Wednesday posts. Thank you for being here.

    ReplyDelete