Monday, June 12, 2023

Weekending 6/12/23

 Good morning My Friends,

It sure is a Monday...at least around here.  I hardly slept a wink last night and I've no idea why.  I'm just glad I work from home which means I will take a nap later!  And it is kind of gloomy out.  It is grey and overcast which is fine.  We desperately need the rain and I sure hope it does not pass us by.  It is already almost 70 degrees and pretty muggy.

Anyway, I've showered and the first cup of coffee is finding my throat.  There were no breaking emails or notifications overnight from work, so all is good.  How was your weekend?

Saturday, as I'm sure you know, was world-wide knit in public day.  Dee and I did what we do just about every Saturday.  We met up for coffee and chatter and we knit in public.  As Dee said, "every Saturday is knit in public day for us!"  I like that.  Once again I did learn, though, that I am not really able to knit and talk at the same time.  I was blissfully knitting along on my green Hitchhiker when I realized I completely forgot the eyelet row.  Tink, tink, tink and all was back where it should be.  I need to cast on a simple pair of vanilla socks that I can take on Saturdays.

Saturday afternoon, Fletch and I went over the Colin & Mailing's house.  There were more weeds that Fletch wanted to get rid of and I needed to water the houseplants.  Much to my surprise, I discovered that an orchid on the windowsill in the living room is blooming!


I believe this is the orchid that the former owners of the house gave to C&M (along with a nice bottle of champagne) when they closed on the house.  I do talk to the plants when I go over, but I didn't expect this to be blooming (and have more buds, so more blooms to come).  Actually all of their house plants are doing pretty well.  

Sunday was a lazy day.  I made some cold things for dinner (chicken salad and cucumber salad) in the morning and let them chill in the frig all day.  I did wander around the back yard late in the afternoon and discovered that our Seven Sisters Rose is beginning to bloom.  Fletcher's Mom gave it to us from a cutting in her yard which she had gotten from a cutting in her Mom's yard.  3 generations!  The blooms are small and not terribly fragrant, but I love it.


Perfect for a little bud vase.  We also discovered that our Trumpet Vine has started to bloom (which is early for us).  We hope the hummingbirds will show up soon.

Today should find me doing some much needed cleaning, but my guess is that I will determine that it can wait a little bit longer until it is done.  Ha!  Maybe I'll feel inspired, but it's rare when that happens involving cleaning.  We'll see.  Wishing you all a wonderful day and start of the week - enjoy!

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your weekend with us, Vera! It sounds like a good one and I love your blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Car knitting is like that for me. I often end up tinking back what I've knit, yet I continue to knit in the car and keep hoping for the best. That orchid is lovely! I have one little grocery store orchid and I wish it would get the message to bloom. Those sweet little roses are lovely, and especially nice because of the way the cuttings have been passed down. You should start a few cuttings for C&M if you haven't already. Happy Monday (and enjoy your nap)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was knitting at the Dragon Boat races on Saturday and forgot all about it being Knit in Public Day until I got home and saw people's posts. I knit in public all the time to so it's no biggie for me but it is always fun to acknowledge it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That orchid! Wow! And I think Bonny is right on rose cutting for C&M! I hope work does allow for a nap... (sleep has been elusive here as well). Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty sure the rain we had yesterday is on its way to you. Much needed after almost three whole weeks of dry days! More rain is expected for the early part of the week.

    I love the multi-generational roses, and I think carrying it on is a great idea.

    (Nothing inspires me to clean, either. EVER.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful roses! I agree with the others, you should definitely give a cutting to C&M when they return so you can keep the cycle going! It's a good day here for a nap -- gloomy with lots of rain. I certainly hope it makes its way to you and that work allows for a nap or two later today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you brought the orchid back to your house so you can enjoy the blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope the rain makes it your way. We are supposed to get more this afternoon. I'mvloving it, other than a certain kitten who keeps going out, getting soaked, and then coming back in and rubbing all over me

    ReplyDelete
  9. always happy to read that you and Dee are together :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had a good Monday for a change--a lot of things ticked off my list of things-to-do!!! I thought of you and Dee for Knit in Public Day---I lost my buddy for k-i-p (dementia and eventually death) so I always think of her at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We had rain up north yesterday -- but only a sprinkle here at home. It looked like rain all day today . . . but, nope. Not a drop. But it's chilly. . . doesn't feel like summer at all. And the orchid bloom --- what a great surprise! XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet story about the rose from three generations. I hope you got some rain. We had some rain on Saturday after a warm muggy day. I thought about you and Dee on Saturday and WK in P day. My LYS had an event but I skipped out. I get a little tired of the constant marketing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There must have been something in the air, as I couldn't sleep either. Fun rose story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved hearing about the rose. I didn't fall asleep until about 3:00 this morning and then had a busy, busy day running errands with Miss Piper. We had 12 stops and had a blast together! She's great company and talks all the time. The questions that she asks always amaze me.
    I didn't know about knit in public but I didn't have anyone to knit with anyway.
    Have a great Tuesday.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  15. The flowers are lovely. All my roses have buds, and if we get a bit of warmth, they are just going to explode with flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I discovered a stalk of buds on my orchid the other day! Something happened the last time that happened and I never saw any blooms, so fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete