Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Unraveled Wednesday 6/14/23

 Hello and Good Morning!

How are you?  I'm doing well.  Though I did not accomplish anywhere near what I had hoped/planned to do yesterday.  Such is life!  I did bake more cookies last night!!  These are an oatmeal cookie and the recipe is courtesy of Jane from Prairie Spirits.  Since Jane first shared her recipe with me a couple of years back, these cookies have become a favorite in our house.


Additions this time were:  chopped up dried apricots, dried cherries, pistachios, chopped crystalized ginger and a scant cup of chocolate/peanut butter chips.  YUM!!

I've been baking because Fletch intends to visit a couple this week - former clients of his - who LOVE cookies.  We also want to share some with Rob & Eva - our neighbors who do so much for us including taking care of Mabel when we are away.  I enjoy baking a lot, but we sure don't need two full batches of cookies hanging around our house!  LOL  It is good to have friends with whom to share.

This Wednesday, specifically Unraveled Wednesday, we all gather together and link up with Kat to talk making and reading.  I do not have a whole lot to share!  I seem to be doing more stitching than knitting (and I shared that yesterday) and more baking than knitting or reading.  But, a few things are here.

First up the green Hitchhiker is moving along.  There are now 21 points.


21 points mean that it is also taking longer to do each row.  It is a meditative knit - so much so that I often find myself closing my eyes while knitting on it (NOT a good idea for moi) - especially after dinner when listening to an audio book with Fletch.

I did absolutely nothing more on the purple Abstract Leaves cowl.  I need to pick it up and see if I can manage a row or three without messing up (again).

Some yarn was wound yesterday for socks.  Since I can't seem to knit and chat without messing up the knitting, I thought I'd best get a pair of socks on the needles for my Saturday mornings with Dee.  It was last week that I was so busy chatting that I completely forgot an eyelet row on the Hitchhiker!


This is Pairfect yarn - my first time using it.  It is also souvenir yarn!  This skein was purchased at Webs when Fletch and I were on vacation - I believe the Spring of 2018.  We will see if the socks match.  That does not particularly matter to me, but I thought it might be fun.  The yarn is mostly shades of grey with some dark, dusky blue thrown in for good measure.

As far as reading goes, I am still reading The Thread Collectors.  I thought I would finish last night, but I still have roughly 50 pages left.  Perhaps today or tonight?  Next up, waiting patiently on my nightstand is Finding Freedom by Erin French.  I've wanted to read this for some time and Carol gave me the book when she visited the other month.  And, I've rediscovered Nine Horses by Billy Collins which had somehow become buried under other books on my nightstand.  His poems are wonderful to read just before turning out the light.

Fletch and I continue to listen to Vesper Flights and are thoroughly enjoying it.  Helen MacDonald, the author, is also the narrator and is great.

It looks to be a little overcast and we may get more rain today (still needed).  I'm planning to wash a couple of loads of clothes, but not sure if I will be able to hang them on the line or not.  whatever you are up to, have a good one and be sure to head over to Kat's space to see what everyone is making and reading.  Enjoy!

15 comments:

  1. Okay, now I need the recipe for those cookies! All of those additions sound wonderful to me. Your Hitchhiker is looking good and I'll be anxious to see those socks take shape. I hope you have a good Wednesday and enjoy a cookie or two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cookies sound wonderful, Vera! And while it's nice to have cookies around the house, I think it's even nicer to share them. :-) The green Hitchhiker is such a perfect mix of pattern and yarn. And Billy Collins is the perfect thing to read before sleeping. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have weirdly never thought to add anything to my oatmeal cookies but raisins or chocolate chips -- your additions sound so good! Plus, oatmeal and fruit makes them health food, right? The Hitchhiker is looking marvelous and really makes me want to cast on a new one. I hope the new socks make for good social knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love oatmeal cookies too. And I have socks on my needles again. Perfect social knitting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, I can't remember the last time I made cookies. I've made a conscious effort NOT to make sweets around here--too tempting for us both.

    The hitchhiker looks lovely--that green yarn is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've used Pairfect a lot and you do get matching socks. I've got some sitting here now waiting for me to cast on. I always cut off some of the solid cuff color though. I don't like a really long ribbed cuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've also used pairfect before and really like it. The colors in yours are going to make some really nice socks. Perfect to work on while you visit with Dee. Although, I really like that hitchhiker too. The colorway is so pretty.
    Take care my friend and enjoy your cloudy day. We're back to hot and dry again. Dennis is going to take Piper to the pool here at the condo today. They enjoy playing in the water together. It will probably be the last chance before we leave on vacation this weekend so they need to make the most of it.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to seeing those socks on Saturday. The color looks interesting. I have made two pair of Pair-fect. One worked out just like it was supposed to. The other was a mess. Nothing lined up. BUT, it still made good hardy socks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did Helen McD write "H is for Hawk"? I've had that on my TBR list for a while. I've made a few pairs of Pairfect and mine have all been perfect matches (sorry Dee!). And they do wear really well (I make them for Tim, who is notoriously hard on his socks).

    ReplyDelete
  10. since I've had too much baby shower cake, I'm holding off on making cookies, but gosh they look delicious. Pretty yarn! I love when I treat myself to a skein when we are traveling :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all the mix-ins you added to those cookies! Marc and I love Erin French's Lost Kitchen show and her memoir made us appreciate her current success even more. Sadly, I doubt we'll ever get to experience a meal there! Your tiny stitching is really coming along. I'm still amazed at 40 count linen ... cannot even imagine those tiny stitches!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you enjoy the cookie recipe. Crystallized ginger sounds like a wonderful mix-in that I have not ever tried in this recipe. Tis the season for hitchhikers. I love yours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The shawl is progressing beautifully! I can't wait to see the new socks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those cookies sound great and it's so nice that you made them to share. I think you will enjoy Erin French's book, we'll be in her neck of the woods next week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those cookies look (and sound!!) amazing! (Billy Collins before bed is such a great idea... I am moving my Billy Collins books upstairs today!)

    ReplyDelete