Thursday, June 22, 2023

Hey! I Made Bagels!

 Good Morning Everyone,

How are you?  So Summer is here with the Solstice having occurred yesterday, but it sure does not feel like Summer.  It isn't even 60 degrees yet and it is another grey, damp day.  I have capri leggings and a tee shirt on, but also a flannel shirt and warm slippers  It is downright chilly!  I'm not complaining, just saying.  I wouldn't mind a little sun, but I don't think that will happen for a number of days.

I had a bit of a rude awakening this morning.  I got up around 5:45 and went into the bathroom to brush my teeth and wash my face.  When I picked up the toothpaste tube I saw a tick on the cap.  Our little tick magnet (that would be Mabel) is bringing them in left and right and center.  Fletch told me he found 2 ticks on himself after Mabel was sitting on his lap.  We do treat her with Frontline (which I hate doing as much as she hates having it done), but I don't want to go more than once a month.  Mabel likes to nap on the rug in front of the tub in the upstairs bathroom and often I will see a tick crawling on the rug after Mabel leaves the room.  It is just gross!

Anyway, moving on to better topics.  I made some bagels yesterday!  I made bagels decades ago when Fletch and I were first married and then I kind of forgot about it what with the availability of them in every grocery store bakery.  But recently I came across THIS RECIPE which calls for just two ingredients:  self rising flour and plain greek yogurt.  I was intrigued.

The process is quick.  This recipe does not call for dunking them in boiling water prior to baking.  You just mix the two ingredients together and knead for about 3-5 mnutes and then divide the dough into 4 pieces and shape your bagels.  Let them rest for 15 minutes while you heat up your oven.  Then bake them and bingo, 4 bagels in under an hour!


Waiting for the oven to heat up.  I used Everything But the Bagel seasoning on them.


And fresh out of the oven!

They turned out good.  Not great, but certainly edible.  I think I prefer a regular recipe, but I would certainly make these again in a pinch.  To me they are a little more dense than a good bakery bagel.  I tried one yesterday with my salad for lunch - had a bit with butter and a bit with cream cheese.  I toasted about half of it and had butter on that.  It all went down easily!  Carbs you know - I do love them.

Yesterday did not yield all that much time for making...I am hoping for more time today.  It is so chilly, I pulled some soup out of the freezer for lunch,so that should be a quick meal.

Happy Thursday everyone - we are edging closer to the weekend!!  Enjoy your day.

14 comments:

  1. That's an interesting recipe! I also made bagels years ago, but with the work required, I'm usually happier buying bagels. This is intriguing enough I might just get the ingredients at the grocery store today and give it a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the winter it was 80 and the summer 60 ---- C-R-A-Z-Y!

    UGH! On the ticks. I guess that is what we get for not having many big freezes last winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ticks are a huge problem here as well and lyme disease and all those other nasty tick borne illnesses are considered a public health emergency in Massachusetts. I know I don't have to tell you to stay vigiliant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bagels look amazing! I've been watching videos about making soft pretzels which is a lot like making bagels. The Mister has been wanting some but they are nowhere to be found around here anymore. If I can ever stop running him back and forth to therapy I just might have to try it.
    I have yet to see a tick here but the mosquitoes in the house are making me crazy. I've spent a fortune buying products to keep them away from the doors in the past week and it's not even really hot or muggy yet. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. So the medication works? Rather than attach and burrow in they leave after the first bite? Leaving the host is not the norm as you know but they should croak quicker! My brother combs his cat every night and has duct tape handy to stick the removed ticks to. She is medicated also. I think he is going back to dusting her with diatomaceous earth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's chilly here, too, but also humid because we had rain overnight and more on the way. And I just spent an hour at the orthodontist's office with my daughter and it was FREEZING in there. I might need to have a cup of tea this afternoon!

    I'm really intrigued by this bagel recipe! I always had it in my head that bagels were complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh poor Mabel (and poor both of you!). I think I'm going to try the bagels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Thursday (yikes, how fast did this week fly by!) and what a fun, full week you've had! We have a donut/bagel mold and Marc likes to make bagels - low carb with almond flour - I prefer applesauce donuts (carbs all the way for me!) ... sorry about the ticks, but loved all the turtles. Wishing you an easy Friday to ease into the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, no, no on the ticks. Yuck! I'm sorry about that. We give Zoey a pill once a month but always used Frontline on Chloe. Even with all of the ticks at the lake, we only pulled one off of her in all of the years there.
    The bagels look delicious. We've been avoiding carbs as much as possible for several weeks and I've lost exactly zero pounds. I'm about ready to dig back into them! I do love me some carbs. Of any kind really. I haven't had a bagel in forever. Now I want one really, really bad.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oy, Mabel... stop with the ticks already girl! Haha! (okay... not so funny at all... Sherman hates "tick inspection" so I can't imagine Mabel like it any better!)

    That is a curious bagel recipe! But, they look good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow on the bagels, they look so very good! You are adventurous in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The bagels look good and it is hard to go wrong with warm bread (of any description) and butter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The bagels look delicious! You can try CapStar for getting rid of the ticks--they will die and not be a hazard for you guys. It's what we use bc we had 2 cats that couldn't handle Frontline so had to look for something else!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ticks...problem in Wisconsin. My mom used scotch tape when she would find a tick. It trapped them and the adhesive-gases make them back out so no 'pulling', but they are stuck. Then fold the rest of the tape over them and toss them in the garbage. They are not getting away to find someone else. I felt like this is a marketing moment...'Tick Tape' anyone?

    ReplyDelete