Friday, June 23, 2023

TGIF 6/23/23

 Good Morning,

Another grey damp day here, but a little warmer (64 degrees).  No rain yet though.  I thought we were supposed to have heavy rain yesterday and today, but so far nothing!

Still is tick central here.  OMG!  this morning I picked up 3 ticks off the rug in front of the tub.  flushed them all down the toilet and then when I got out of the shower I saw another one crawling on top of the scale.  I'm calling the vet this morning to see if there is something else (besides Frontline) we can use on Mabel and/or if we can use it more frequently than once a month.  I really hate putting the chemicals on her, but I also really, really hate that she is bringing in to the house so many ticks.

We had a lovely surprise in the mail yesterday.  Colin had sent us a bunch of gifts from his and Mailing's trip out West a few weeks ago.  Among the treasures is this hummingbird carved out of marble:


So tiny and delicate!  I've moved it to a shelf over the buffet - I was afraid that here, on the windowsill with a bunch of other things, it might get bumped and broken.  As it turns out, this hummingbird was a positive omen - we saw our first hummingbird coming to our trumpet vine blooms yesterday afternoon!

We also spotted one lone daylily by the shed.  The deer have eaten all the rest of them.


Right after I walked over to take the above picture, 5 deer wandered into the yard and one of them looked like it was going to munch down on this bloom.  We (Fletch) chased him off.  Among the 5 were 2 very little spotted fawns.  So precious!

Dinner lst night was a meal I have made in the past:  One Pot Sausage and Arugula Pasta.  So good!


Hooray for Penne pasta - one of my favorites.  Bring on the carbs!  LOL

Here's the easy/peasy recipe in case anyone is interested.


Plenty of leftovers too.  I froze some and there is a container in the frig for lunch some day.

Well, it's Friday so I have conference calls.  One at 10:00 and then my 1:00 call was moved to 4 p.m.  I'm planning to skip that one.  I'm looking forward to meeting up with Dee tomorrow morning for our therapy session - nothing better than knitting, sipping and chatting with a friend.  Other than that, no real plans for the weekend.  We may head back over to C&M's house to do some things...or we may skip this weekend.  Time will tell.

Whatever your plans are, I wish you all a wonderful weekend!

10 comments:

  1. What a lovely unexpected gift from your voyagers.

    We got a bit of rain last night, but not much. It's all moving west now, but there is more forecast for the weekend, sort of hit or miss.

    I love a simple pasta dish, so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure wish I could send you some of our heat. Our A/C has been running non-stop. Even though the temp right now is only 67, the humidity is really high. It's supposed to be in the 90's again today.
    That hummingbird is so sweet. I would put him up high too, to keep him safe. Those ticks. Yuck! I hope you can figure something else out.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. We must be getting your rain. It's been non stop here for days. I love a rainy day but not so many in a row. They are calling for thunderstorms this afternoon too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck dealing with the ticks! It's bad enough that there are so many of them outside, but discovering them inside is awful. That is a lovely hummingbird and I hope Mabel just "looks with her eyes". Scheduling a conference call at 4:00 pm on Friday is just asking people to skip it. Have a good weekend, Vera!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hummingbird is very cute! I've seen a few this year, but not as many as last year. The neighbour chopped down her trumpet vine, which was their main draw. Most of the plants they like in my yard aren't blooming yet.

    My daylilies won't bloom for at least another week or more

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my that hummingbird is the sweetest thing!! Frontline kills the tick after it bites and latches on. If they are hitching a ride then it does nothing (if I remember correctly). Frodo used to get them a lot when he was in the tall grass, now he is an old man and is inside most of the time, tick free zone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had the answer to the tick issue, and I hope the vet is able to recommend something! Love the sweet little hummingbird. I actually saw one in my neighborhood last week (a very rare sighting) and no one else in my house was excited by it. It looks like you might be having some rain by now -- we had more overnight and the radar shows it pretty much swirling around the whole mid-Atlantic. I hope you and Dee don't get rained out tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That hummingbird is beautiful. And the recipe sounds yummy. I think I have most of those ingredients in my pantry and fridge so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pasta dish looks delicious! I made something similar as well this week...with spinach and it was so good and YAY for leftovers!

    The hummingbird from Colin is beautiful! What a lovely treasure!

    I hope you got some rain... have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The lily is lovely and so is that delicate little hummingbird. It's summer time hot here. We had a few drops of rain this a.m. that really did nothing but increase the humidity. Carbs, I love them too.

    ReplyDelete