Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Tiny Needle Tuesday 6/6/23

 Hello, Hello,

Let's hope this Tuesday is better than Monday was!  Whew!  There were more computer woes mid-morning when I got on my first conference call but could not hear anyone.  All was set up correctly, but the way to log onto the call had changed.  Not sure what was up, but I ended up skipping that call.  My next one worked with no hitches...it was just way longer than necessary!

Fletch and I decided to do grocery shopping yesterday because I am going to the office this morning.  The store was mobbed!  Who would have guessed at 2:30 on a Monday afternoon?  And, of course, one speed checker (15 items or less) and one regular checker...we were third in line and that checker was pretty new and quite slow.  Oy vey!

And then last night I was so tired I couldn't see straight but when I went upstairs to go to bed I ended up with the worst case of indigestion.  Not sure why.  Didn't eat anything unusual.  So, I am ready for a better day for sure.  I'm sorry I am heading to the office, but such is life.

Meanwhile, let's move on to more fun things.  I have a finish!!  Woo-Hoo, the Crows of Strawberry Hill is stitched.  The fabric used was 32 count linen and the threads were a mix of Gentle Art Sampler Threads and Weeks Dye Works (both over-dyed cottons).

And, not only stitched, but made into a pincushion on Sunday!  Who am I?

I couldn't find any fabric in my stash that I thought really looked good as backing (amazing given how much fabric I have), so I just backed it in green felt and I love the way it turned out.



Next up we have The Sampler aux Bouquets which saw more love than I thought.  Quite a bit was added to the mix.


As the designer suggested, I am stitching my initials in a lighter color than the balance of the alphabet.  Love the little butterfly flittering across the top!

With the Crow piece finished I knew I wanted to start another "small."  I dug around in my stash and found a piece from way back in 2014.  I even had all the specialty threads in the bag with the chart, so it was just a matter of finding a piece of fabric.  I decided on Autumn Posy by Paulette Stewart of Plum Street Sampers.


And, I made a small start on this yesterday.  I am using 40 count fabric and stitching with one thread of Weeks Dye Works (an over-dyed cotton) over two linen threads.  So far, I'm loving it!


A few folks have asked how I manage to stitch on such fine fabric.  Not easily!  LOL  I used to be able to just pick up linen like this and stitch away.  Now I have to use magnification.  I have some lights with magnification but I find that they often seem hot in the warmer weather.  Now I wear a headband magnifier (which I refer to as my crown!  hahaha).  This is similar to what I use.  I can flip it up when, say, I have to get up to let Mabel in at the back door.  Then just flip it back down and keep stitching.  I miss being able to just pick up my fabric and stitch, but this is a good solution for me.

As I mentioned, I'll be heading to the office later.  There is a 12 p.m. BBQ to kick off summer (which probably means gift cards or bonus payments, etc.!).  Also Kevin is back in the office (3rd week in a row) for budget reviews.  I don't think I need to be involved in that this time.  It is also Bruce's birthday today - not sure if he will be in for the BBQ or not - his budget review is not till Wednesday and it looks like he may be in Baltimore today (according to his Outlook calendar).  Guess I'll find out at some point.

I'm also looking forward to our "Read With Us" book discussion tonight!  I'll see some of you and talk with you then.  Have a great day!

13 comments:

  1. I'm hoping that all the issues got worked out yesterday and your visit to the office is relatively quick (or at least with a nice gift card and/or bonus payment)! Your pincushion is really lovely, too nice to stick pins in, and you have gotten quite a lot done on the Bouquet sampler. I'll talk to you tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonny already said what I was thinking -- that pincushion is too nice to stab with pins! I hope your time in the office today goes quickly (and maybe results in a bonus and/or a gift card?). Looking forward to chatting with you tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pin cushion! Too cute, Vera! I love it! I hope your day is smoother than yesterday and there is more time for stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful pin cushion!!! Great finish. The new pieces are pretty amazing, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on finishing "crows". All your projects are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great finish for Crows. (It seems so sudden!)
    I really love the blue sampler and its lighthearted style. It has such a feeling of movement and whimsy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pincushion is great! I'm glad you finished it off into a project. Even if it's too nice to stick pins in, you can have it out to look at. :-) Sorry about the day at work yesterday and then I write you a saga of woe. Sorry about that. Hope today is better for you and you get a nice fat bonus AND a gift card. Wouldn't that be great?
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wowza!!! I love that little pincushion. All my little critter pile projects are supposed to end up that way too but I'm a little worried because I've never done that before. I like your idea of felt for the back. It's nice and sturdy to add some body to it and I've got a pile of it here in lots of great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your choice of backing for the little pincushion and love the little pincushion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bravo on the finished project! Do you display it in a small basket? Love the flamingo needle keeper. Is she wearing ballet slippers?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay. I'm just LOVING your "crown!" I think you should get Fletch to take a photo of you wearing it for us. (I'm also wondering if it might be a good thing for my dad. He does a lot of work on tiny, model trains and is beginning to complain about needing better magnification. Would love your thoughts. . . ) As always, your stitching is beautiful. I always love the projects you choose! XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. hope you are feeling better! I don't like to stitch on linen so for the baby birth sampler I'm back with 16 count Aida cloth (tried and true for me, takes the guess work out of seeing, lol).

    ReplyDelete
  13. The little pincushion is just darling. How fun to have a small piece of embroidery to enjoy. What is it about strawberries and embroidery or cross stitch? They seem to go together.

    ReplyDelete