Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Unraveled Wednesday 3/1/23

 Good Morning!

Hello You and Hello March!  It seems hard to believe that we are closing in on the end of the first quarter of 2023.  How is that even possible?  Yesterday was kind of grey and misty and not warm at all.  Fletch and I managed to do some grocery shopping (is it just me?  or do prices jack up EVERY single week?) in the morning and we both managed short naps after lunch.  The sky is just lightening up as I type this, but it looks to be grey again.  The cars in the driveway are coated in a very, very heavy frost.  It looks like snow, but there is nothing on the ground or picnic table, so I am assuming frost.

The other week Kym had posted about cooking and had graciously gifted us with a NY Times Recipe for "Lemony White Bean Soup With Turkey and Beans" by Melissa Clark and I decided to make it yesterday.  Let me tell you - this recipe is a HIT!!!  So, so tasty and perfect for the kind of day we had (grey, misty).  I used kale (which Fletch and I both love) and the herbs I included were basil and parsley.  It was so good I ended up sharing the recipe with Colin and Mailing as I think it would be just as good without the turkey.  Thanks Kym for a great recipe!


And now it is March 1st (the wall calendar page has been flipped) and time for Unraveled Wednesday where we all link up with Kat and all in the Merry Band of Unravelers to talk making and reading - two of my favorite things.  I had thought I might have a new start by today, but that has not happened.  Fortunately, unraveling has not occurred either.  

Since I ordered the Pi yarn (and minis) from Fibernymph Dye Works for more socks for Fletch, I decided I'd best make some progress on the Trekking sock (or I should say socks):


Sock #1 has been finished (on Saturday) and Sock #2 has been started.  You can see that the socks will not be identical twins, but rather looking like a twin born a few minutes after the first.  Fletch is good with these not being identical.  Hopefully this 2nd sock will be finished this week!

Reading is pretty much where it has been.  The Love Songs of W. E. B. Du Bois is so good, but I'm not yet even halfway through it (800+ pages).  I noted on my library page that they automatically renewed it for me.  Thank goodness!!  Most of my reading is done at night and I find by that time I tend to get very sleepy reading.  I am also still plugging away on The Shipping News for the "Read With Us" discussion coming up later this month.  That book is on my nightstand and typically I read 2 chapters before I have to close the book and turn out the light.  I confess I do not remember this book at all!

Fletch and I are halfway through listening to Master and Commander.  We listen to this after dinner and I knit while listening.  Last night we picked a new Audible book to listen to when we finish this one.  It is Words of Mercury by Patrick Leigh Fermor.  A number of years ago Colin had given us two books by Fermor (the first 2 in a series of 3) about his journey (on foot) "from the Hook in Holland to Constantinople" which we thoroughly enjoyed (and I will most likely order the 3rd in that series so we have the complete set).

Originally I thought I would go to the office today, but I successfully talked myself out of doing that!  LOL  I have a few work items that need my attention, but then I plan to do some stitching and knitting (and maybe I should try reading during the day as well!).  Happy Hump Day everyone.  Be sure to head over to Kat's to check on what everyone is making and reading! 

16 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you and Fletch enjoyed the soup!!! It is a big favorite here at our house -- so simple, yet so tasty. (And it gets 5 stars on the NYT cooking app -- and that's a RARE achievement.) I love the socks, Vera. I always like them when they don't quite match . . . Hope you have a good day! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made soup yesterday, too, with sausage and white beans and spinach. One of my favorite things about making soup is leftovers for lunch! I didn't remember much about The Shipping News, either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That soup sounds delicious! But I am the only one in my family who really enjoys beans, so I'm not likely to make it soon, boo. I am also finding that I remember very little about The Shipping News, and what I do remember is limited to some characters' names and a storm (which I haven't yet gotten to in my reread). I'm really fascinated by the writing style itself, and I hope we talk about that when we have our discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still haven't tried that soup, but I think I need to buy some kale and get to it! Your socks are great and they always remind me of that joke that I associate with first-graders: what's black and white and red(read) all over? A zebra reading a newspaper! I'm glad you talked yourself out of going in to the office today; it will probably be a much better day because of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so eager to discuss The Shipping News later this month! I also love fraternal twin socks! :) And I have some of that Pi-yarn coming as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The socks look great. The soup too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love white bean soup and make it at least once a week. I've got some beautiful rainbow chard that I could add so I need to get the crockpot going.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The socks look almost as if they are fairisle. Very smart indeed. The soup looks tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're definitely making more progress on your socks than I am!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just finished my socks! I'm still trying to play catchup with life as we visit my dad in ICU and most of all get back into some kind of groove. Cooking has been all over the place!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saved the recipe and hope to make it soon: your version looks delicious. Pretty socks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not familiar with Fermor but will give him a try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I still have the shivers over reading that you both like kale. Does the other side of PA have a less bitter, shake your head, shiver with goosebumps kale? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The soup looks delicious! Well done! And I'm thrilled that you're loving Love Songs -- it's such a beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The soup looks delicious. The socks look great and are coming along nicely. I always think the second sock goes more quickly. I know that sleepy reading problem also. Then there are the nights when I can't sleep and get up and read a bit. You have lots of good books going.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The socks look good! So does that soup!

    ReplyDelete