Monday, August 29, 2022

Weekending 8/29/22

 Hello and good Morning!

It's kind of grey and overcast here (dare we hope for rain??) which is causing me to feel rather sluggish this morning.  I'm sipping coffee, but the jolt has not yet set in.


More snapdragons - they just keep coming and coming.

How was your weekend?  Mine was very nice.  It started on Friday when our cleaning girl/woman showed up for the first time.  Oh man!  What a fabulous job she did,  The house looked so clean and smelled so good by the time she finished.  Karyn brings her own supplies for cleaning except we gave her the stuff we use on our hardwood floors and she uses our vacuum.  Except, as luck would have it, our vacuum stopped working on Friday.  LOL  It was old (had been my parents, so it had an extremely long life) and both Fletch and I had noticed it wasn't sucking very well recently.  Oh well.  I had another, cheap little stick vacuum that she could use and I ordered another vacuum before Karyn left on Friday.  The new one was delivered on Saturday and all I can say is that our carpets have not been this clean in years!  It's a powerful thing!

I met up with Dee on Saturday morning for our usual chatter, knitting and sipping.  My knitting was about nil - nothing was working for me that morning.  But, I managed to unload some of the zucchini cookies (which are very good BTW), some zucchini bread with cranberries, some tomatoes and a few jalapenos.  The tomatoes continue to come in like gangbusters.  Yesterday I picked 8 large tomatoes and over 50 sungold cherry tomatoes.  We are overrun!

Saturday my friends the crows showed up.  I enjoy them so much and we often have a few around but on Saturday there were eight - a murder!


This group wasn't all that vocal and they didn't stay there too long.  Soon they were flying over our house on their way to somewhere else.

The other week Kym had one of her "garden dispatch" posts that showed a hummingbird.  Fletch and I usually see hummers in the afternoon while sitting on the patio.  I tried to get a picture on Saturday, but it is HARD.  Using just my cell phone's camera doesn't help.  But, Sunday morning, early, I noticed one flying around our Rose of Sharon.  Then it went to the feeder we have hanging on the clothesline and then, finally, perched on the line and I was able to snap a picture!


A little blurry, but you can see the hummingbird and it's long beak on the clothesline just to the left of the feeder.  Our hummers are not real colorful.  I've only seen a ruby throat here once or twice.  Ours are mostly a dull green/grey on the back with a pale chest.

I don't know about you, but growing up there were things that my Mom fixed that I didn't really care for.  Some I still don't (liver, for example, yuck!).  But some I now love.  Parsnips and turnips fall into that category.  I am particularly fond of Gilfeather Turnips and in years past I would always pick one up at a country store in Wardsboro, Vermont when we were up there.  This past year I found an organic seed company that carries Gilfeather seeds.  I was thrilled and got two packages...one for my brother who gardens a ton and one for Fletch.  This weekend we harvested our first!


Not the most attractive item, but boy did they smell sweet right out of the ground.  Typically they are harvested after the first hard frost, but we could not wait.  I peeled them and cut them up and then boiled them.  After an hour they were still hard!  So, we did not have them last night as planned.  Instead I let them continue to cook while we ate and we will have them tonight.  Once they had softened up, I simply mashed them with butter and pepper.  The tiny bit that I tasted was delicious - so sweet.  I think we may let the rest stay in the ground until after a frost.  The other ones are small still, but I'm thrilled that we've been able to grow them!

And now it is time for another cup of coffee and to get started on Monday.  I hope your week is off to a great start.


15 comments:

  1. Ooo! I love your little humming bird! Nice photo! (they are so hard to get!) And a new vacuum! Be still my heart! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cleaning lady, a new vacuum, seeing Dee and hummingbirds, and turnips do make for a great weekend! I hope your coffee kicks in soon (and that we get some rain)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that hummingbird shot is awesome, they are so difficult to photo!! I am so glad you have someone else doing the cleaning what a treasure! You definitely deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Turnips! My mom always put turnips in her vegetable soup and it was so good. I haven't added any to mine in ages and now I'm wondering why.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great weekend! I was happy to get a new vacuum, too, and realized quickly what a slacker the old one had become.

    Those snapdragons are lovely--a flower from my childhood. They grow in a wide array of colours, too. Maybe I'll try some from seed next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hummingbirds are SO hard to photograph, good job capturing that female. We also have mostly females (I think around 3 or 4) and only 1 male. I'm still picking lots of tomatoes but the cucumbers have slowed down now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I spotted a hummingbird in our neighborhood last week, but it moved too quickly to get a photo (and my eyes were not good enough to really get a sense of what it looked like, either).

    The only turnips I've ever tasted were bitter, so I think I really have not tried turnips for real if they're supposed to be sweet! I harvested one giant tomato over the weekend (which, as you suggested, I put in a sunny window to finish ripening), and we have a cucumber growing! Our pepper plants also came back after being stripped of their leaves and we have several flowers now, so maybe we'll still get some bell peppers this year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a good weekend and hoping for rain for you today. I am a big fan of turnips and parsnips, though generlly just make them roasted in the winter (yum).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like your gardens are flourishing.

    Love the little hummer. I can never get pics. Between the stuff I have planted in my garden, and my neighbour's trumpet vine, we have lots of little hummers. One almost flew into my face inside the catio yesterday morning

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute hummer! He’s guarding the feeder from intruders. I love to snack on raw turnips - just peel, add a sprinkle of salt, and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I splurged a while back and bought a Dyson vacuum with airline rewards points (because expensive but miles don't seem like real money - haha), and we are converts. I say WE because Rusty uses it a lot, helping me clean the Airbnbs and when HE continues to remark that he can't get over how nice it is and how much it picks up... WINNER! I will bite the bullet and even spend REAL MONEY if/when I need a replacement!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It does sounds like a great weekend. I'm glad you had such a nice time with Dee, and a cleaning lady/girl. How great is that? I would love someone to do my cleaning for me. Especially for the next few weeks.
    To the best of my knowledge, I have never had turnips. Your description makes me want to try them though. I didn't think they were sweet.
    Take care Vera.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never had a turnip but now I want to try them. We can't grow root crops in this soil and surprisingly, none of the Amish or other farmstands offer them. I've been doing bags of sliced carrots in the Instant Pot, three minutes and done. Love that! Our new vacuum is amazing but canister cleaning is such a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet little hummingbird. Your garden harvest sounds wonderful. I don't know that I've ever eaten a turnip. Beets yes - one of the things my mother-in-law loved but I did not but not turnips. Yours sounds delicious though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE this post! First of all -- your snapdragons are amazing. How cool that they just keep coming? And second of all -- what a lovely shot of that hummingbird! They're my favorites and I never, ever get pictures of them.

    So glad that you enjoyed your first big cleaning! What a gift for yourself. I hope it continues to be a wonderful experience :)

    ReplyDelete