Tuesday, August 23, 2022

A New (to me) Salad

 Good Foggy Morning!

Yup!  It's foggy and moist outside.  Everything is dripping.  But, we had no measurable rain.  The rain gauge maybe moved a fraction (1/8th??) of an inch.

I have no TNT post today.  Once again a week has gone by where I did not lift up a tiny needle once!  So, I've decided to again mix it up and post a recipe today and maybe...maybe...I'll have some stitching to show on Thursday.  Time will tell.  Today I am sharing the salad I made on Sunday which is vegan (so I'll have to make it again when Colin is next here).  It is very, very yummy and very, very easy to make.

Sweet Potato Black Bean Salad

  • 4 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
  • 2 (15 oz) cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped red onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 1/2 cup (or more) chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2/3 cup toasted pecans

Dressing - combine all ingredients

  • 4 TBS EVOO
  • 4TBS freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp gound cumin
  • 1/2 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper

Directions

  • Toss sweet potato chunks with EVOO and place in a single layer on a large baking sheet or pan.  Bake at 385 for 30-40 minutes.  Cool to room temp.
  • Combine beans, bell pepper, onion, celery and cilantro in a large bowl.  Pour dressing over.  When sweet potatoes are cool, toss them gently into the salad.  Add pecans to top.

I completely forgot the pecans, but the salad was good anyway.  I cut the recipe in half and there was still a bunch left over.  A corn and black bean salad is pretty much a summer staple here at the Lane abode, but this was kind of a nice change.  Similar but different.

Yesterday was a waste of time and a frustration.  I needed to print labels, put them on envelopes and run them through the postage machine and overnight to Kevin.  The postage machine at work, it turns out, is broken.  So, whenever that gets fixed - hopefully today or tomorrow - I'm going to need to go back in to finish up my job.

Then on my way home I stopped at CVS to pick up a prescription for Fletch.  It was in process and not yet filled...despite the fact that I had called Sunday morning and was told it would be ready by 1 p.m. on Sunday.  If I'm not mistaken, yesterday was Monday...the day AFTER Sunday...but it still had not been filled.  The clerk offered that I could wait and they would fill it within 1/2 hour.  I declined.

I came home, did a few things and then took a long nap (I had not slept well Sunday night).  Here's hoping that today is a little more productive!


13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe -- sounds delish! I've done roasted sweet potatoes and black beans just plain before, but I like the addition of the other ingredients.

    I hope today is a more productive day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a big fan of sweet potatoes, but there are enough other good things in the salad that I might not mind! It sounds like a nap was the most productive thing you could have done yesterday - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! Delicious sounding, Vera! Thank you thank you thank you for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is right up my alley. I love sweet potatoes esp roasted and I put black beans in everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of that sounds wonderful. Thank you!
    My day was not very productive yesterday, either, but that was mostly due to my own sloth. I blame having to run the A/C again. After our deluge, everything is wet, humid, and ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The salad sounds good.

    CVS is just the worst!!! I hate going in ours when I have to. Hope you can pick up Fletch's meds today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that salad will be wonderful, for Dennis. For some reason I have never been able to stand black beans. I have no idea why. Dennis loves them though so I think I'll try this for him and Mom. :-) Thanks!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like a great salad, Vera! Thanks for sharing the recipe. :-) And I hope you're having a smooth-sailing day today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hopefully, you’ll get all your tasks completed today. I refuse to go to a pharmacy on Monday - far too chaotic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate days like that. I find lately everything is taking longer than I expect it to. It doesn't help that work keeps finding little last minute projects to throw at me, and I have to get them done before I work on my regular job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That salad looks good. I may try it. I am sorry for all the frustration. The CVS thing boggles the mind.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That salad sounds delicious. I hope you're able to finish all of those tasks that you had to leave undone on Monday. It's frustrating when things like that happen!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello from New Zealand. We had that salad tonight and just loved it as you did! Here we call sweet potato Kumara. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete