Thursday, August 18, 2022

Oh Deer!

 Good Morning!

Pausing in the midst of my Thursday work-busy morning to show you what's going on here.

Mabel came into the office room meowing which means either "let me out now!" or "give me more food."  I got up and walked into the kitchen and she was over by the door, wanting to go out.  There were two deer in the yard.  First up this one who seems to be lacking pigment on part of his/her face.


Not terribly big, dining on fallen apples.  Nearby was this little one.


Still has faint spots.  Also having some apples for breakfast.  I wish I could have gotten a video of this little one stamping his foot when Mabel went outside.  Too cute.

Anyway, Mabel turned around and wanted to come right back in.  But, 5 minutes later she wanted to go back out.  This time there were 5 deer in the back yard!


The 5th one was to the right, but out of my camera range.  All of these were taken through the sliding door to our patio.  I knew if I stepped out they would all bolt.  The little one was back and stamping his foot again when Mabel went out, but this time she paid no mind to him.  She ran out into the yard and jumped on the picnic table.  Soon the deer ran off.

A little nature break and now I need to get back to work.  Have a good Thursday!

15 comments:

  1. We have so many deer in our neighborhood! JoJo goes nuts . . . when she sees them (and she doesn't always). The most annoying thing is they DON'T bolt when she barks or we open doors or even step right outside. They just . . . keep eating my plants. I'm lucky my backyard - and the main part of my garden - is behind a significant fence. They can still jump it (and they do sometimes), but mostly they don't in the summer, when "easier" eating is readily available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your nature break! Those apples must be delicious and enticing to your deer. Ours have been in the yard looking for something good (they've eaten most of the hostas) and then they usually wander over to my neighbor's to munch off all his impatiens. Hope things slow down work-wise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing these wonderful photos. Fruit must have been on the menu this morning. The first two went off and found friends to bring to the new restaurant! :-) Mabel just wants them to know who's boss in HER yard. Don't work too hard this morning.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wildlife add a spark of wonder to our lives. I hope the deer aren’t too destructive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Step on up to the Lane Buffet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a lot of deer around us but in 25 years I've only seen 2 in my backyard. What a great sighting and I hope they don't eat any valuable plants!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a herd! I've seen more deer this year than I have in ages. Lots of babies running in the woods right now. My hostas are toast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how the little deer was annoyed by Mabel! "Just when I was enjoying my snack ..."

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad they're enjoying the apples! Love hearing about Mabel's interactions with them. She's really fearless!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love it! WE have lots of deer here, though none in the yard (which is probably good because they'd munch most of my gardens. We mostly see them in the fields while driving. The other day we went out for dinner early (about 4:30 pm) and there was a mama and her almost grown babe just standing in a field of corn. So sweet to see.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a LOT of deer! We have several small herds that roam around our neighborhood but this year we have LOTS of fawns, and many twins! I love seeing them. We saw a fairly newborn one this afternoon with Mama nudging it along the blackberries.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is quite a nature break and quite a few deer. They must be fun to see but I hope they don't get into the garden - too often.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How fun, Vera! They are just gorgeous... that is until they eat something you don't want them too! LOL

    Yay for Brave Mabel and those deer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. That's a lot of deer in your yard! I haven't seen deer in my yard in a while... dogs next door might have a little bit to do with that! They used to bed down lower in the ravine from time to time. Love seeing them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I’m afraid that if I had that much wildlife to watch I would never get to my work! Some days I have a hard time turning away from bird feeders or the bird bath!

    ReplyDelete