Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Unraveled Wednesday August 10, 2022

 Good Morning Friends!

We managed to get a few sprinkles around dinner time last night.  It cooled the temps down to the mid-80's.  Today is forecast to be sunny (again), but I think there is another good possibility of rain over night.  I sure hope so.

Safe travels to Colin who flies up from Austin this morning.  We won't see him till Sunday, but it will be nice to know he is in our time zone again.  And, Happy Birthday to my friend Leslie!!

Now onto business!  It's Wednesday which means it's time to link up with Kat and her Merry Band of Unravelers to talk making and reading.  First of all I confess that I have not cast on with any of the 3 skeins I wound the other week!  What?  Sad but true.  Hardly any knitting has taken place.  I did manage to start another Nai-Nai's Favorite dishcloth,


Pretty colors in this yarn.  It is Dragon Tale Yarn which is 100% cotton.  The colorway is "Autumn Spice."  This is a skein I picked up on sale ($4.50!!) years ago somewhere...not sure where I was.  Anyway, nice to finally be using it.

Maybe today I will find the time to cast on something with one or more of those skeins I recently wound.

On the reading side of things, I finished 3 books in the last week!  Yes, me!!  First up, I finished "Provence, 1970" by Luke Barr.  This is the story of the time in late 1970 when M. F. K. Fisher, Julia Child, James Beard, Richard Olney and others were all in Provence at the same time.  They cooked and ate together and discussed food.  Luke Barr is the great nephew of Fisher and had access to her journals from the time.  I thoroughly enjoyed this book, but I do love memoirs and especially memoirs about food (think Ruth Reichl, Molly Wizenberg, Susan Herrmann Loomis, etc.).

Next I read "The Locked Room" by Elly Griffiths.  This was a good addition to the Ruth Galloway series she writes.

And, finally, I finisihed "The Last Bookshop in London" by Madeline Martin.  This was my first audio book!  The story takes place during the war (WWII) in London and was ok.  I'm guessing that if I had gotten a hard copy of the book I might not have finished it - lots and lots of bombing descriptions.  But it was ok to listen to.

I've started "Sorrow and Bliss" and am enjoying that so far (only 40 pages in or so) and I've also started "Fellowship Point."  I'm only 25 pages into this book and it is easy to put down, so I'm not sure how it will go.  Not started yet, but I have "Small Things Like These" by Claire Keegan queued up for listening.

Now it's time to pour another cup of coffee and do a little work.  Hoping that everyone has a good Wednesday!

16 comments:

  1. love the colors, reminds me of FALL but we have to patiently wait for that, grr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes a dishcloth is just the right thing to knit!

    We ended up with only a brief shower here yesterday, but it was enough to water the plants and I was thankful not to have flash flood-inducing rains again. I just wish we could get rid of the humidity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review of "The Last Bookshop". I had my eye on it, but now will probably take a pass. I started The Teacher of Warsaw. While the writing was good, the story line was basically the same as every other Nazi invasion book. Steve checked it out and I don't think he got even as far as I did. That one went back to the library.

    I'm reading Funny Farm right now. It is a book about a lady that owns a rescue farm near Turnersville, NJ. She was on the news a few weeks back. So far I'm really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The memoir is right up my alley. I love to read about foodies. Any book with lots of food mentions are always my favorites. I"m pretty sure it started with The Little House books when I was a kid. Anything Ma cooked sounded delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please tell me this heat wave is going to end soon! The power went out yesterday for five hours. Nothing to do, but sit in the shade and read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dishcloth knitting is perfect for this weather. We got 22 sprinkles yesterday, too, but I continue to hope for more tonight. It has to really rain again someday, right? I think I started Fellowship Point 3x before I really got into it, and that may have been because I didn't have anything else to read. Happy Wednesday, Vera!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some days knitting just can't be found, sad but true! lol The new dishcloth will help fill the gap until new socks are on your needles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been on a dishcloth kick lately, and this pattern is new to me! I'm so glad you shared it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had rain yesterday and again this morning and it's most welcome. It has cooled things down and my parched plants look better already.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had a thunderstorm last night, but it just made things more humid. Glad you liked the Ruth G book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is such a pretty yarn! Our temps have moderated, but the humidity is still here. All I want is to be able to turn off the AC and open up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. woohoo - yay for diving into audio! Small Things Like These is excellent to listen to. I'm going to track down Provence - food memoir is right up my alley and I had no idea there was a book about those four together!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the honesty about The Last Bookshop in London - WWII always appeals to me but I wasn't sure about this one. You've confirmed my suspicions that this one can be skipped!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is going to be the loveliest dishcloth ever, Vera! So pretty! And good for you for trying an audiobook. :-) I find some types of books are easier to listen to than others. . .

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dishcloth knitting is absolutely what these hot days needs! (Although it is considerably cooler this morning, I am not planning on this weather sticking around long!)

    Yay for finding an audio book that works! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dishcloth knitting is a great summer knit. You have such a pretty color there. I think I might like Provence, 1970. I'll have to see if my library has it. I like Ruth Galloway also.

    ReplyDelete