Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Let's Mix This Week Up!

 Good Morning Dearies,

There has been absolutely NO stitching since my TNT post of last week; therefore, I have nothing new to share.  On the off chance that I might be able to fit in some stitching in the next couple of days, I've decided to mix things up and share some recipes today and maybe (MAYBE) share some TNT stitching on Thursday.

A few folks expressed interest in the dishes I made on Sunday, so here goes!

For the Tabbouleh I looked at these two recipes and then threw mine together:  Bulgar Wheat Salad and Ina Garten's Version - they are both similar.  I liked the idea in the first of adding lemon zest.  I used cherry tomatoes and parsley from our garden as well as mint that grows like a weed in one of our beds.

Next up is the recipe for Eggplant Marinara.  I can't remember where I found this recipe - it might have been from an old "Victoria" magazine, or another publication of some kind.  Anyway, I've been making this for years and it is one of our favorites.

Eggplant Marinara

  • 1 one-pound eggplant cut into 3/4” chunks
  • 1/4 Cup vinegar (rice wine or red wine)
  • 1/4 Cup chopped fresh basil
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/4 Cup raisins
  • 2 TBS chopped pimiento
  • 2 TBS pine nuts, toasted
  • 2 TBS EVOO

 Several hours or the day before:

  •  Simmer eggplant for 5 minutes and drain
  •  Whisk together:  vinegar, basil, oregano, sugar, garlic, salt & pepper.  Stir in eggplant, cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.  Stir occasionally.
  •  1 hour before serving add raisins, pimiento, pine nuts and EVOO.  Cover and set aside.  Stir occasionally.

 Serve at room temperature.

And now for the recipe that sounds SO strange, but is really, really good.  This one is from Ema, my (ex) SIL in Boulder, CO.  It's been several years since I last made it, but it sure tasted good and I'll need to remember this one again!

Nectarine Salad

  •  1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 Cups nectarines, cut in 1/2” pieces (I used 3 nectarines)
  • 1 Cup sliced black olives
  • 1 Cup cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1/2 Cup sliced scallions (white & green parts)
  • 1 (6 oz) jar marinated artichoke hearts, quartered (save juice for dressing)

 Mix all together, toss well and pour dressing over.  Chill one or two hours before serving

Dressing

  • Juice from artichokes
  • 1/3 Cup olive oil
  • 1/4 Cup lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp tarragon (I used 2-3 tsp)
  • 1/2 tsp thyme
So that's it for a mixed up Tuesday.  I hope you enjoy!!

11 comments:

  1. Oh yum, Vera! That nectarine salad looks particularly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't really comprehend how the ingredients in the nectarine salad go together but I like them all separately so I'm going to have to give that one a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yum! I haven't had eggplant in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The eggplant dish sounds really good -- but raisins? I was not expecting them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the eating has been GOOD at your place. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recipes. I'm still marvelling at the nectarine salad.
    I'm getting so tired of thinking up what in the heck to make for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are very adventurous in your food choices! I admire that! I am a big baby when it comes to trying new things.

    I like the idea of nectarines on salad, but there are too many other things in there I won't eat (mushrooms, tomatoes, olives, artichokes, scallions..) lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so hungry==thanks for the mouth watering recipes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. there's been no stitching here either! We are twins :) you always make good food :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting recipes. I love eggplant so I might give that one a try. I also like Tabbouleh and haven't made any for awhile. I do get in a rut with cooking.

    ReplyDelete