Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Unraveled Wednesday 11/22/23

 Good Morning!

Oh man!  What a rainy night we had.  I don't know how much fell (Fletch put the rain gauge away before it could freeze in the winter), but it was a lot and heavy.  And this morning is mild - just 50 degrees out.

Are you ready for the big feast day?  I have not done any cooking yet, but I will get started today making the cranberry relish and the cranberry chutney.  The pumpkin pie and the Brussels sprouts will wait until tomorrow.

The other day when I went out for a loaf of bread and left the store $80 later, one of the things I picked up was an amaryllis!  At the grocery store!  The picture on the box is a red and white one, so I hope that is what we get.  I plan to get that into the pot today.  There are already leaves coming out of the bulb, so time to get it settled into some dirt.  I do confess I seem to be running out of room for plants though.  I need to do something about that.  Also, two more acorns have sprouted in the yogurt cups on my kitchen windowsill.  There will be a little family of oak trees to give to Colin & Mailing for their property.

And here we are on Wednesday, Thanksgiving Eve and it's time to link up with Kat and her Merry Band of Unravelers to talk making and reading.  If you read my post yesterday, you know I spent time unpicking some of my stitching, so thankfully that took care of any unraveling.  However, there has not been much knitting.  The Red Winged Blackbird sock has grown a little bit and a couple more granny squares were crocheted.


The Granny Square on the left is so Thanksgiving-looking!  I hadn't even realized it.

A third granny square is near completion, so I'm keeping up with them.  I should lay them all out and see what it looks like.  Maybe later.

I'm itching to start something new.  A shawl perhaps.  I double checked the yarn I caked up for a Hitch on the Move, but I may need to re-think that plan.  I don't think I have enough of either color.  I definitely want that shawl to be large.  I do have yarn for a couple of other patterns, so I may start one of them.  Stay tuned!

I did finish the William Kent Krueger Book I was reading last week.  It was good, but not as strong as some of his other books (my opinion).  Now I am about halfway through The Comfort of Crows and it is so good.  Just a marvelous book.  Very much like her book "Late Migrations" and it is the perfect book to read before turning out the light at night.

And now it's time for another cup of coffee and get started on the day.  Wishing each of you a peaceful, relaxing and tasty Thanksgiving - Enjoy!!

13 comments:

  1. Your sock and squares look great, and like you, I want to start something new. If I had 1000 yards of DK in my stash I would cast on the semicircular woolly waffle. I wonder if I have time for a trip to the yarn store this afternoon?! I hope you have a peaceful and delicious Thanksgiving, Vera!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is, indeed, a Thanksgiving granny square! Ir could grace your table as a temporary trivet tomorrow!
    Acorns. What a thoughtful start for your kids! I started 12, outside, in pots, tucked against the side of the house. Fool that I was, I hadn't considered the squirrels! I have 2 left. So I brought them in. (eyeroll.)
    A very Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose there are worse things than having a lot of plants in the house! I hope that amaryllis ends up being the advertised color. So glad you're enjoying The Comfort of Crows. I find Renkl's writing to be very soothing.

    Happy Thanksgiving -- enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew you would love Comfort of Crows! :) It is just so good! I am excited to spend a year reading it... savoring all her thoughts and her beautiful writing!

    I hope you all have a very happy Thanksgiving as well! XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. I threw an old pan out the other day and left it on the deck and it was FILLED with water this morning. It rained like I haven't seen it rain in ages. I know we needed it but boy what a mess it is out there this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for reminding me - I need to get some amaryllis bulbs. My mom used to give me one every Thanksgiving and I have taken up the tradition for my daughters. Enjoy your celebration

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the granny square with the brown center. That one is so cute!

    I knit my way back to where I was on the cowl. Right before the joining I was off a stitch, but I was able to "fudge" it easily since the two rows were stockinette. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....no one will EVER know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your sock and square Vera. I really need to read the Comfort of Crows, it sounds like an amazing read. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The grocery stores (and walmart) have amaryllis galore here - I've been trying to resist the temptation to buy one

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Just added Comfort of Crows to my Am wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've had great luck with grocery store amaryllis and they are a lot less money than the fancy ones! I hope your Thanksgiving prep is going perfectly and that you have a wonderful family day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lot and heavy sums up the rain here too. I was so hoping the sun would continue but it cold dark crap for a while. Have a great Thanksgiving with family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We had a lovely sunny day here today. I saw amaryllis bulbs at T Joes this week but didn't bite. I have a Christmas cactus that is full of buds so that is fun. I sure like the Redwing Blackbird socks although the colorway namer needs to learn a little more about birds! Ha. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete