Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Tiny Needle Tuesday 11/14/23

 Greetings My Friends,

How are you this fine morning?  Yesterday I mentioned not sleeping well the previous night.  Well, last night I made up for it sleeping about 9.5 hours!  My eyes would not stay open for anything last night - knitting, stitching or reading, so I finally gave up at 8:30 (!!!) and went to bed.  Pure bliss to sleep that well for a change.

Yesterday's work holiday luncheon was very nice as well.  Delicious appetizers and way too much food for the meal, but all very tasty.  Usually at this affair numerous prizes are given out but this year the focus was changed to giving.  There were 12 seats at the meal that had numbers underneath the chair cushions.  The individuals who sat in those chairs got to pick an organization/charity (and tell why they chose that particular one) and the company will be making a donation to that organization in the name of the individual.  The stories were all very touching.  Someone whose daughter had been diagnosed with melanoma chose the melanoma foundation; a girl who growing up was homeless chose the shelter where she and her mother stayed, and on and on and on.

There were still trivia questions and awards ($200 gift cards) for the correct answer.  Yes, I did win one (for guessing the average speed - in mph - of a snowflake falling)!  All in all a very lovely time.  Hard to imagine this is most likely my last work event like this.

All of that brings us to this morning and Tiny Needle Tuesday (TNT).  This is another week with nothing to show you on the cacti triptych.  I thought I would focus on that at the end of last week, but things got busy (again).  However, very good progress was made on the BIG Sampler aux Bouquets:


The giant bouquet that seemed to take forever is finally completed.  And look!  A bird is perched at the top.  Love it.  Still more blooms and letters to stitch, but the end is close!  I really am going to attempt to work on the cactus piece this week and hopefully will have something to share next Tuesday.

Now it's time to pour another cup of coffee and get going.  Hope your Tuesday is filled with bright spots!

14 comments:

  1. It makes me so happy to hear that a lot of the giving at the luncheon was to charities. While I'm sure the employees have always appreciated the gifts, I'm sure the charities that receive the donations will be so appreciative.

    The sampler is looking amazing! That little snail at the base of the flowers is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sarah... that warms ones heart! You sampler also warms my heart! I love that giant bouquet with the bird!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The giving luncheon was a wonderful idea that has warmed my heart! Your huge sampler is looking good and also looks close to completion. I have to ask: what is the average speed of a snowflake falling?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So. How fast DO snowflakes fall (on average)? (Inquiring minds want to know. . . ) I love the giving concept for your luncheon give-away! I used to work for a foundation, and each year-end, we "gave" our board members a discretionary "grant" they could make individually to an organization of their choice (that qualified for the foundation's giving requirements and mission, of course). It was such a pleasure to see their selections and hear their stories. Giving . . . is so powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work event sounds like fun! One year I donated to a different charity in the name of each one of my kids that I thought represented who they were. It was actually a lot of fun and I should do that again.
    The sampler is glorious! That bouquet is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that "giving" prizes was a lovely idea!

    The sampler is looking fantastic! I can't wait to get Dad's sweater off the needles so I can start a new cross stitch project

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was sure you would win something at a luncheon--I'm with the others--what is the average speed of a falling snowflake?!?! Beautiful stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, so I'll chime in too. Not that I've ever thought about that, but NOW I need to KNOW. What IS the speed of a snowflake falling?

    Congrats on winning the prize.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful idea your company had for its luncheon. Not only did it do something philanthropic, but it allowed for its employees to share something meaningful and be a part of its charity giving. That was tremendous. It must feel good to know you have been part of such a socially responsible organization.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on winning a gift card Vera! But, like the others, now I have to know. What is the speed of a snowflake falling? And I like the idea of giving to charity organizations. How wonderful.
    Your cross stitch is so great. I especially like the bird at the base of the flower bouquet.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds like a lovely thing for your company to do, and I love that they allowed people to pick the charity (because honestly, how many ways could that go sideways?).

    ReplyDelete
  12. The giving luncheon was a brilliant idea! I’m sure everyone left with gratitude in their heart. You need to satisfy all the inquiring minds about snowflake speed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful stitching and I cannot imagine sleeping that long, go you!! However you probably still have a sleep deficit...maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the giving idea is a wonderful. It's so different from working in education where I worked. Our celebrations were potluck luncheons that we arranged among our team. The sampler looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete