Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Unraveled Wednesday 2/1/23

 Good Morning,

It's dark and early here!  And, there is snow on my car in the driveway.  Figures this is the day I need to be at the office before 8 a.m.  Oh well.  It's not a lot of snow and I will warm the car before I need to scrape it off and pull out.

My baking continues!  Yesterday I made Harvest Spice Bread.  Oh man is it good!


This bread has pumpkin puree in it as well as grated carrots, chopped apples, raisins and walnuts.  What's not to love?  Oh, and it is very, very easy to make.  Here's a Link to the recipe I used.  Fletch is planning to take a loaf of the bread, some brownies and some cookies to Connie and David today.

And, my new rice cooker arrived yesterday.


Geeze this thing is more complicated than I think is necessary, but I can now cook all different kinds of rice as well as make baby food (which will come in handy if Fletch and I somehow lose all our teeth!).  I plan to test it out tomorrow night, so will let you know how it works (and if I can figure it out).

But on to the business of the day.  It is February 1st (already) and time to link up with Kat and the band of Merry Unravelers to talk making and reading.  Naturally not all that much knitting has happened here (I've been busy baking and finishing up a sampler).  The cowl for my SIL has not seen a single stitch/row added since I posted last week, so no picture of that.  The first green sock is moving down the foot.


I really thought/planned that I would have this one finished by now, but other things occupied my time.  Anyway, no rush as these are for me.  No rush on the cowl either since it is a Christmas gift.  I also thought I would have started a hat out of the Lopi I ordered OR the Albers Shawl in the Kid Silk Haze that I won...but nope - neither of those have been started.  And that won't happen today either.  C'est la vie.

On the reading side of things, Fletch and I have just about finished this book - we only have 7 or so pages left.  It's a fun read, but some of the stories are pretty strange.  I'm reading Red Knife by William Kent Krueger.  It's the next in a series by him that I am reading, but honestly I'm kind of bored with it.  I think this series may have run its course for me.  I have some books coming in at the library, so hopefully one of those will grab my attention.

My reading of Middlemarch has also slowed - as mentioned above, I've been busy baking and doing other things.  Now I need to get busy and get ready to drive to the office.  Hoping I can catch up on blogs once the meeting starts (since I'm not participating in the meeting - just making sure breakfast and lunch are delivered and set up - lol).  I do have some work I have to do, but I don't expect that will take ALL morning.

Have a wonderful first day of February!

16 comments:

  1. may you and your new rice cooker have many happy years together! Love that cheerful spring time sock!! It's nice during the winter to see that pop of color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just took the lemon zucchini bread out of the freezer. I line my bread pans with parchment, lifts out easily and I keep it on for freezing. Because I'm a pig, I cut in half to freeze, and that size fits perfectly in container with lid. Sort of makes it too easy to pop the lid and grab a slice. Do not care for fruitcake but MIL recipe for Bishop bread is divine. I will try your recipe offer this weekend! Love that green yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo! That bread looks delicious! Thank you for the recipe! :)

    I hope that your work day is easy... and over soon! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for linking to that recipe -- it sounds SO GOOD and I just happen to have some canned pumpkin in my pantry (and, interestingly, I had a dream last night that I was baking with it).

    The green socks are looking good, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before you cast on something new. It's been busy for you lately, but luckily yarn does not go bad if you don't use it right away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's exactly how I felt about my rice cooker when I got it . . . Does it really need to be THAT complicated? But, in the end, I don't use most of its features anyway. So it's much more manageable. (And that bread sounds GREAT. I'm going to take a look at the recipe later.) XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. That bread sounds terrific. I'll be taking a look at the recipe.
    I just don't have any room for one more cooker/gadget/appliance in the kitchen, and I don't even have an air fryer or Instant Pot. I'm trying to streamline and simplify. Would I eat more rice if I got a rice cooker? We don't eat much now, but I do dislike making it. But where would I put a rice cooker?! (See what I mean?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These newer kitchen gadgets get crazy complicated. We recently have been making rice, but I use the Insta Pot with the book of directions to turn the damn thing on in my left hand(hardest part of making stir fry)
    Your bread sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your baking sent me into the kitchen to make something (carrot cake loaf and zucchini bread) but now I wish I had waited for this recipe! I will definitely be trying it in the next few days. Having a Cuckoo rice cooker in my kitchen would make me smile every time I saw it. I hope you are home from the office sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! THAT'S RED!!!! May you and the rice cooker have many happy meals together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. With pumpkin, apples, and carrots, I bet the bread is moist as well as delicious. May your day at the office be trouble free.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was an early, dark morning for me too. Dave had some medical tests to do and didn't want to go by himself. I took him out for breakfast afterwards to cheer him up.
    Love the socks. Everything is white here! I need a little green in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We woke up to SNOW! Not much but enough for me to go crazy over.
    I have a love/hate thing going with my new rice cooker. I love being able to walk away and let it do it's thing but it will burn on the bottom if I don't take the pan out right away. My old one never did that. It seems none of this new fangled stuff I've been buying is worth a red cent-whatever that means.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're baking is making me want to bake! Or come over and eat at your house instead! I use my Instant Pot for rice and it works pretty well and it saves me from having another appliance in my very small kitchen. Good luck learning the ins and outs of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are baking up a storm. That bread looks wonderful. Thanks for the link. Best of luck with the rice cooker. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete