Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Unraveled Wednesday 2/15/23

 Good Morning All,

This morning is finding me a bit stiff - not sure why as I slept well and did not walk yesterday (back was too sore), but whatever!  Earlier it looked very white and grey outside, but now I can see a bit of blue in the sky outside my office window.  Hoping it will turn into a pretty day.  I believe it is supposed to be warm-ish.

Well, I did make the applesauce donuts this morning.  I am not impressed and the recipe I had printed out is now in the recycling bin!


They are extremely bland tasting (despite the applesauce and cinnamon in the batter).  I will need to search for another recipe to try.  Also, I need to remember to grease my donut pan (even though it is non-stick)!

However, the chocolate mousse I made for Valentine's dessert DID turn out!


Initially I was not hopeful.  When separating an egg, some of the yolk went into the white...so that all went in the compost.  Then the first batch of chocolate did not melt well - it got all grainy and hard.  Fortunately the next batch worked and the mousse was good.  Rich, but good!  Fletch grilled some steaks and we had little new potatoes steamed, some air fryer breaded mushrooms and a green bean casserole.  YUM!!  Lots of leftovers.

Hard to believe we are already half way through February!  And today is Wednesday which means it is time to link up with Kat and her Merry Band of Unravelers to talk making and reading.  My knitting is coming along slowly.  The grey sock is progressing a little bit:


And I feel as though I am close to the end of the cowl for my SIL:


I think I will do one more pattern row and then start the ribbing and bind off.  There was a time when I thought about making fingerless mitts to match, but I don't think I have enough yarn left.  I will need to weigh what's left after I bind off and then decide.

My reading is moving along.  Fletch and I are still listening to Master and Commander - he is enjoying it more than I am, but I am content to just knit while we listen.  I've now read over 200 pages in The Love Songs of W. E. B. Du Bois and it is so good, however I'm putting that aside because after months of being in the queue, I am finally back in Three Pines!  Yup - my turn came up yesterday for A World of Curiosities and I started it last night.  It amazes me how Louise Penny can continue to write this series without it getting old or tired!

Earlier in the week I finished Catalogue of Unabashed Gratitude by Ross Gay.  I thought it was ok.  Not great, but ok.  Some of the poems I really liked, and some I did not.  And some just didn't strike me one way or another.  I will try another one of his books in a little bit and see what I think.

Here's hoping your Wednesday is going well.  While looking at your screen, be sure to hop over to Kat's to see what others are making and reading - always inspirational.

15 comments:

  1. I should have known I should eat breakfast before reading your blog! Your dinner sounds absolutely delicious, even if the mousse was a bit frustrating. And your socks and cowl are coming along. I hope you can get out to enjoy our lovely warm weather today (because it looks like snow next week)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There must have been something in the air yesterday -- I made a cake in the bundt pan I have been using for years and despite the fact that I greased it well, the cake wouldn't come out! Luckily it tasted fine, even though it was a mess, and my family didn't care.

    You're in for a treat with the new Louise Penny! I predict you'll get through it very quickly -- it's definitely a page-turner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum! I wish I had been a mouse in your house to enjoy the crumbs from your table. Everything sounds so wonderfully delicious.
    Dennis and Mandy have read all of the Louise Penny books too. They love Three Pines and I've heard all about it! Dennis was in the que and got the latest book over a month ago. Mandy was so upset that he got it first! Her turn finally arrived and she finished it yesterday. We watched both movies a few months ago and he was disappointed in them. I thought they were good. I think it is really hard to watch a movie after reading the book. In my mind, the books are really better.
    Hope you have a great day. We're expecting some snow later today which is really needed.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just made me realize that the Three Pines TV show I just finished-and loved is from a book series. I had no idea. I just went and bought book one from Audible. I need a good listen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Valentine’s dinner sounds delicious. The cowl is gorgeous: the yarn and pattern complement each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a great V-day dinner. Dave and I went out for chinese the night before because he worked last night. So last night was the leftovers we brought home with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely knitting this week and my first sock is past the gusset but I'm also working on a shawl that is taking forever and a day. Loved Three Pines tv show and hope it gets renewed! I've read all of her books and Curiosities is on the list to be read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your knitting is looking great! I think I need to request the W.E.Debois book. I checked it out once but didn’t get to it before I had to return it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bummer about the donuts! Your dinner sounds delicious, though, and I love new potatoes. Love Songs is SO good, I hope you'll go back to it after you finish the newest Three Pines.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...chocolate mousse. My second favorite dessert after creme brulee.

    We had sandwiches. LOL And, I'm actually okay with that. We had a "fancy" meal at lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my -- you have a lovely stack of books going. So happy that you finally got the newest Armand Gamache AND that you're reading Love Songs. Both are wonderful. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That cowl really grew! Very pretty. I really like the new socks, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll bet you won't be long away from "Love Songs", Vera. . . because if you're like me, you'll FLY through the latest Three Pines installment! I really love Ross Gay's writing, but of the three books I've read ("Gratitude", "Delight", and "Joy"), Catalogue of Unabashed Gratitude is my least favorite (although I still liked it quite a lot). XO

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved the latest Three Pines! It was so good! And your knitting looks beautiful.. I think that cowl is just the perfect match for the yarn and pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your knitting looks great. I like the colors in that cowl. I tried to listen to The Love Songs of W.E.B. DuBois but I had a hard time keeping the characters all straight. I am a visual learner so a hard copy would be better for me. And like you, I'd go straight to Three Pines.

    ReplyDelete