Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Tiny Needle Tuesday 2/21/23

 Good Morning!

How are you today?  It is grey here.  And damp.  We had rain during the night and more is forecast for today.  Extra Vitamin D is on the menu this morning.  Meanwhile...on the menu...I just put a loaf of pumpkini bread with cranberries and pecans in the oven.  It should come out in roughly 50 minutes.  Already I can smell the cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice.  YUM!!

So, sort of a gloomy TNT day, but that's ok.  Sometimes these grey days can be kind of soothing.  There is permission to move a little slower and to take your time doing things.  I like that!

During the past week I managed to do a little stitching on the big Ellen Harrison sampler.  Here is where it stands right now.


When you click to enlarge, you will see that the house has been completed and the border has come down to the bottom on the left and is starting across the bottom.  A tiny motif was stitched and the beginning of another.  There is still so much to be added to this piece.  As a reminder, here is what the entire thing will (or should) look like when finished:


So, as Robert Frost would say, I've got miles to go before I sleep.  Ha!  Luckily I'm still enjoying this and all the various motifs are keeping me interested.  The white stag with spots at the bottom will be a beast to stitch though!  I hope whatever I choose to stitch next will not include large expanses of the same color....

My trip to the office yesterday went smoothly.  I saw one other person there and the parking lot was empty!  President's Day has never been a "holiday" for my company, but since schools were closed I'm assuming some folks who might have come in to the office decided to stay home.

My errands yesterday went smoothly.  Though the State Store had an awful lot of empty shelves.  Actually I was surprised they were even open given that it was a Federal holiday.  But, whatever.  There were 2 Spanish wines Fletch had asked me to look for, but (of course) our (antiquated) stores don't carry them and the clerk had never even heard of them!

I did find something new at the grocery store:


I have not tried them yet and, in fact, have not even cut into one.  I thought they might add a bit of fun flavor to my water when I go walking.  And, I will use one later this week when we have fish one night.

Lastly, I found an Easter card for Mailing and Colin that simply cracks me up:


The inside simply says "Here Comes Peter Cat-N-Tail"  Hahahaha  Every time I look at this card I just crack up.

And now I need to clean up the kitchen and pull out a cooling rack for the bread which should be done in another 20 minutes or so.  Have a wonderful Tuesday!

16 comments:

  1. Your sampler is really coming along! I wonder why Ellen made the stag so large? I do like the other motifs - the crown, birds, and even an umbrella. You'll have to let us know if pink lemons taste any different, and I love your card for Colin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty sampler. Ellen was pretty "random" in her designing.

    I'll be interested to hear about the pink lemons. I always think of the State Store as being a bastion of cheap liquor, not exactly fine wines. Probably is mostly that. Sorry you couldn't find what you wanted.

    That card is purr-fect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cracked up when I saw the card and also I'm sitting here imaginging the aroma in your kitchen right now. Yum. Your stitching project seems to be coming along very well. The stag is huge though and I'm not sure I'd have the patitence to stitch it.
    I remember the liquor stores from when Mandy lived in Maryland. It's always seemed a bit strange to be unable to purchase liquor at the grocery and have to go to a state store instead.
    I hope your Tuesday is a great one Vera!
    Blessings and hugs.
    Bletsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great progress on the sampler. I’ve never seen pink lemons: I wonder what plant was grafted to create the berry flavor. Enjoy the warm pumpkin bread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stitching! The lemons look yummy! That card is the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so hot and sunny here today that I think I am going to have a heat stroke. I've been out pulling weeds and trying to free all my bulbs from the winter debris that's got them covered. Poor things are working so hard to get up and out of it. The weeds are going to have a field day this year with that 80 degree weather we are expecting on Thursday. I can already see them popping up. It's going to be a battle. I've even had my first mosquito bite of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm thinking Ellen never studied perspective drawing! :-) Size issues aside, I am charmed by her sampler -- and think you're doing a beautiful job with it! LOVE the card, Vera. Such a funny image -- and then the perfect message inside. XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I wish I could have a slice of that bread, it sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope the bread was delicious! I love the smell of baking in the house... it is the best smell ever! We had grey skies interspersed with some bits of sunshine! And I will take it!

    Your stitching is coming along! It looks great, Vera!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure the bread is yummy! (I wish I could transport that smell to my kitchen).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm also a fan of gray days - glad you were able to take it slow this morning. Your bread sounds delicious -- I love those kinds of sweets! Your stitching is gorgeous - I'm so glad you're still enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The bread sounds delish. I don't mind gray days. That sampler is amazing. I was just thinking the stag might be the most fun but then it looks like more white. I've not seen pink lemons but I'm going to look.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I guess Ellen really enjoyed stitching but wasn't very good at perspective or scale! Those pink lemons are intriguing. I had to run to Trader Joe's on Monday and brought home some Cara Cara oranges, which apparently are pink. Haven't tried them yet. Now I'm craving pumpkin bread!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I adore that card! What a beautiful stitch sampler you are working on right now, the colors are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There's a lot going on in that sampler!
    Neat lemons. I hope they are tasty
    Love the card

    ReplyDelete
  16. The colors in that sampler really show off the motifs. Beautiful! I would prefer to stitch the big critter, I make too many errors on small motifs of several colors.

    ReplyDelete