Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Tiny Needle Tuesday 1/31/23

 Good Morning Everyone!

How are you?  I am not yet fully awake, but trying to make a go of it.  Sipping my Cafe du Monde coffee and feeling the warmth slip into my bones.  It's a little wet out there - Mabel came in with some drops on her back and I can see rain against some of the windows and on the cars.  A good day to stay in.  My computer says:


I was not expecting a wintry mix.  Not sure that will really happen.  It is in the 30's out there.

Yesterday ended up being another baking day for me!  In the afternoon I made some brownies:


Back in the day (when Colin was a yongster) I was always baking brownies - at least once a week it seems.  And then I stopped.  Not sure why, but maybe I'm starting again?  This time I added an extra ingredient - Espresso Powder!  Oh yum.  Next time I will add more.  The powder is another thing I ordered from King Arthur.

After dinner I melted a stick and a half of butter and made some Toffee Pecan cookies:


These are so good (sprinkled with sea salt before going in the oven).

As I mentioned to Dee last night (we were texting back and forth while I was baking), I seem to be a baking fool these days.  Maybe it's because I didn't do any Christmas baking?  I don't know.  I was just in the mood.  And, Fletch is going to see some former clients of his this week and I always like to send some goodies with him when he visits Connie and David.  They are always so appreciative of cookies or breads or whatever, so I will package up a nice selection of cookies, brownies and maybe something else for him to share with them.

But today it's all about the Tiny Needle.  I have a finish!!  Woo-Hoo!  The "Praise Loudly - Blame Softly" sampler by Eileen Bennett is complete.  I finished it up Saturday night.


Definitely not one of my favorite samplers and I am pleased to be finished with it!  Too many Queen stitches and too much outlining for my taste.  But, I did enjoy getting back to doing "specialty" stitches - something other than just x's on the fabric.  That part was fun.  It's been put away in the "finishing drawer" where my unframed pieces reside.

Ellen Harrison is progressing a bit as well.


Another little motif and the start of the big house.  The blue roof and two chimneys are stitched.  Here's a closer shot of the roof and chimneys.


Stitching the house will be a bit like mindless knitting.  I'll have to count a bit for putting in windows, etc., but mostly it's just a lot of plain stitching back and forth.

Hard to believe it's the last day of January.  In 2 days it will be Groundhog's Day!  Time to dry my hair and get my day started.  Hope your Tuesday is a good one!

12 comments:

  1. A brownie would go so delightfully with my morning coffee! :)

    Yay for a stitching finish! That is such a cute sampler!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "praise loudly, blame softly" sampler may not be one of your favorites, but I think it's one of mine! I'm looking forward to Ellen's house being stitched. I bet a brownie would go well with my morning tea if there are any left after you share with Kat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the finish!

    I was surprised to see "wet" this morning. I was hoping for a bit of sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for the finish and I like it a lot. I think those toffee cookies look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blue sky here this morning, so it’s cold, cold, COLD! I’m staying in today and doing some sewing, but you’ve tempted me to do a bit of baking, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We woke up to surprise snow this morning! I wasn't expecting to have to shovel, but luckily there wasn't much, so it was a fast job.

    I find that I like to bake more in the winter -- I think it's something about warming up the house with something that smells good. Another idea of something to add to your brownies is cinnamon. I find it goes really well with chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are just roaring through your stitching project. I am in awe.
    I seem to be a baking fool right now too. I made oatmeal cookies, cupcakes, bread, pizza and cornbread all last weekend. Now it's just sitting here looking at me because we just can't eat that much. I wonder if the forest critters like cornbread?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely stitching. Those biscuits look amazing. Still eating Christmas cake here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is beautiful!! I was always making chocolate chip cookies when we had the kids in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think "baking" and "winter" just go together! I'll bet your house smells terrific right about now. :-) I love that you have a "finishing drawer" for your samplers. I think I need to designate a "finishing drawer" of my own . . . XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful stitching! Having a 'finishing drawer' sounds like a treasure! The warm brownies sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Expresso powder in brownies is a brilliant idea. Congrats on finishing the sampler. Both of them are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete