Monday, January 23, 2023

Weekending 1/23/23

 Hey Hey and Hello Hello,


It's in the high 30's and you can see a "mix" is on its way.  Yesterday we had sleet in the afternoon.  Luckily we were holed up inside and Fletch only went out to fill the bird feeders.  I did not go out at all.  Today I do need to go out - chili is on the menu for tonight and I have no peppers in the house.  One must have some green or red or yellow pepper in one's chili, non?

I also need to get to the bank to deposit a check.  Yes!  A real honest-to-God paper check!  Twice in as many weeks we have received a check in the mail from a doctor's office stating that a review of 2022 records has shown that an overpayment was charged and a refund is due.  The first time it was around $25 from our primary care physician's office and this time it is just over $50 from the dermatologist.  Not exactly a windfall, but nonetheless, money we didn't have the other day.

This afternoon my new washer is being delivered!  Woo-Hoo!  No supply chain issues and so fast.  Fletch did dig out the papers on our old washer and it turns out it is 22 years old.  And, we paid $369 for it 22 years ago.  That one is an "Estate" by Whirlpool.  Our new one is a Magtag (which is made by Whirlpool) and hopefully it will last just as long.  It is a plain model - I did not want any bells and whistles and I did not want digital.  Top loading and a 10 year warranty on the motor!  Best of all, the new machine, new hoses, delivery and installation, and removal of the old one is costing just under double what we paid 22 years ago.  I don't think that is too bad.

Not having a washer to use over the weekend meant that I had more free time, so knitting and stitching were both accomplished along with some reading.  Dee and I did meet up Saturday morning for our usual chatty session.  Lots of laughter, some knitting and a bunch of sipping happened.  It was a lovely time. 

Later that day Fletch and I went out to Otts Nursery (which was mobbed!!) to pick out a plant as a gift for one of C&M's neighbors.  Then we drove to C&M's house where I watered the house plants and got the sheets off the bed to wash (in my new machine!!).  Colin had either called or texted his neighbor asking for a recommendation on a contractor to clean out his gutters (which were jammed with leaves and debris).  His neighbor said "thanks for the reminder.  I have to clean mine and I will do yours too."  Nice neighbor, huh?  Anyway, we picked out a very pretty plant (a papaya plant) and Fletch took it over next door while I was inside watering the house plants.


Sweet Mabel has been on a streak of badness!!  She is getting into and on everything she should not.  Friday she came into the office room while I was on one of my conference calls meowing loudly.  The next thing I knew, she had jumped up on the dresser where there are lots of embroidery scissors, needle minders, pin cushions, knitting needles - all things she needs to stay away from and leave alone.


You can see why I don't want her on the dresser.  I managed to get her out of the room and then discovered she had grabbed her bag of treats off the kitchen counter and ripped into it!  Last night she jumped up on the table when I was stitching and wanted to learn how to use a needle!  She is making me crazy!  But look at her - so sweet and innocent looking.


Now it's time to pour another cup of coffee and do a bit of work.  I hope your Monday is a good one!

14 comments:

  1. Holly has been up to her sneaky antics. I think she's bored. I like a top loader and no bells and whistles. Just wash my clothes please. May you have many marvelous years with your new machine. I hope you get snow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can you be mad very long at that sweet face? (Do you watch All Creatures Great and Small on PBS? There was a funny storyline with a naughty cat on last night's episode -- be glad Mabel isn't *that* bad.) Enjoy your new washer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, That Mabel! She must be ready for spring, too. :-) I'm so glad you were able to find a just-what-you-were-looking-for washer, Vera. (I love my no-frills washer!) Here's to a good week. XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our "mix" was more of the white kind... it was lovely to walk this morning in a bright, white world!

    And Mabel! You rascal you! Sherman says you get more treats if you are good... just saying! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Mabel definitely has a *look* in her eyes in that photo. I see it on George a lot! LOL I hope your washer delivery goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your new washer! (You know you're an adult when you're excited about new appliances!) Thanks for the check reminder. I've been carrying around a paper check in my wallet for at least two weeks but keep forgetting to deposit it. Mabel must practice her innocent look; she looks so sweet but now we know the truth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lies, she says! ALL LIES!!! I have done nothing of the sort.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mabel is letting you appreciate her Goodness. It's important to have Contrast In Life, my father always said.

    My snow-free January has come to an abrupt end. I shovelled yesterday, and I'll shovel more today. Sigh. It was so great while it lasted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Naughty Mabel! Maybe she's as disgusted with the weather as I am. I could tear something open right now-like a big bag of potato chips. Good thing we don't have any. This muddy mess called winter is making me crazy. We need a snow day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Mabel!
    I wonder why the nursery was so mobbed? Valentine's? Wishful thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Mabel!!! Lemmy has been very... rambunctious lately. I think it's just about time for his neuter appointment!

    We got a bunch of snow yesterday (and inch or two) with more slated for Wednesday. I don't mind, I just wish it hadn't come when I was on my way home from Mom's. The roads themselves weren't terrible (just wet), but everyone decided to crash into each other none-the-less and it was a lot of sitting in traffic on an already long drive.
    Hope your chili is delicious. I was thinking of trying to make some cock-a-leekie soup this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mabel, behave yourself! I made white, chicken chili on Saturday: it has just a bit of bite and is so tasty. I prefer a simple top load washer, too. I bought and Amana washer and dryer when I was still living in my house. The apartment has a Maytag stack unit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great neighbor! Look at Mabel asking for you to play with her! Lena has a 'game' she asks me to play every night when I don't feel like it but I see her asking so sweetly, I give in! Every night! lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. May your new washing machine last longer than the warranty. What a wonderful neighbor to C and M. Monday was a good one here. I got a haircut that I badly needed, picked up a library hold, and bought a few birthday cards for February.

    ReplyDelete