Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Unraveled Wednesday 1/11/23

 Well Hello There!

How are you on this fine Wednesday morning?  It's chilly (28 or so) and it is still dark out.  Yesterday was grey and not very inspiring.  I have not posted a TNT post for quite some time...because...I have not picked up my stitching since before we went to Texas!  I hope that changes soon, but this week is shaping up to be a busy one, so time will tell.  

This month is turning into "see all the doctors and get all your check ups done."  Monday's appointment was with our dermatologist.  Luckily she saw nothing!  (I go every 6 months for a full body check since I've had so many bouts of skin cancer.  Today I have a mammogram and tomorrow a field vision test.  Later in the month I will see the dentist and in February I have my full physical.  Whew!  It's a lot and then it will be time to start all over again - LOL.

Meanwhile, it is Wednesday and time to link up with Kat and her Merry Band of Unravelers to talk making and reading.  Thanks Kat for hosting us all.  I find these Wednesday posts from everyone to be so inspiring.

My green socks are slowly (very slowly) progressing.  I did put a "tree" pattern on them at the top (just under the cuff ribbing), but it is not all that visible in my picture.  I was too lazy to look for my sock blockers to stretch it out and see if the pattern is visible then.  Oh well.  I'm not going to rip it out in any case.  From here on out it is just vanilla knitting.


Finally I was able to successfully cast on and start the cowl for my SIL.  I think it was the 5th or 6th try that worked (maybe Covid Brain Fog eased up a bit??).


The yarn is Static from KnitPicks (75% superwash wool and 25% nylon) in the colorway Taos.  The colors do remind me of the West (my brother and SIL live in Boulder, CO).  The pattern I am using is Simply Scrappy Cowl by Helen Stewart and now that I'm underway with it, it should progress quickly.  It is a very simple pattern.

On the reading side of things I'm into several books!  First up is Middlemarch.  How I managed to get through high school and college English with never reading anything by George Elliot is a surprise to me.  I had mentioned to Colin that I wanted to read it, so he bought it for me while we were in TX.  I'm only 50 pages in so far but am enjoying it.  It is pretty funny in parts.  This will definitely be a slow read - not something you can speed read through.  

The other book Colin bought me is Nine Horses by Billy Collins.  He bought himself a copy as well, and we are both slowly reading the poems.  So good!  I'm so happy that Colin and I share a love of reading and enjoy so many of the same books (although we also have our individual tastes as well).

Finally I am reading The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister.  This is a book my friend Leslie recommended.  It's perfect for breaking up my time with Middlemarch.  I love reading about food, so this is right up my alley.  It's a quick read (I read the first 40 pages while fixing dinner the other night) and very enjoyable.

Finally, I got notice that my turn in the queue came up for The Book of Goose and I will stop by the library to pick that up today.

Time to dry my hair and fix another cup of coffee.  I'm heading to the office a little later (my first time at the office since before Christmas!!).  I have a bunch of stuff to print, some reports to run and I need to order food for some meetings next week.  I will also stop at Trader Joe's for a few things...then the library...and then head out for my mammogram early afternoon.  Too much running around!  I feel tired just thinking about it - LOL.  

Have a great Wednesday!

18 comments:

  1. It's medical-appointment-month for my dad here . . . and since I'm his driver and primary point-person, it's medical-appointment-month for me, too. It's funny how the appointments all bunch up together, isn't it? (My own "bunching appointments" will happen in March/April.) I hope you have a good day, Vera! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big fan of George Eliot; she's one of my favourite Victorian novelists. I specialized in the Victorians in college, and it's a wonder I didn't need therapy afterward. So very relentlessly awful to their heroines.

    January is a medical appointment month here, too. I am in charge of all of my mother's medical stuff, so we're busy every week.

    Lovely yarn for those sox. I'm finding that I like green more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like you are feeling better and beginning to have the energy to knit again! I'm glad! Hope your office visits go well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got my notification that I am "due" for my mammogram as well! And next Monday I am off to see my new doctor.

    I hope your day of busy flies by quickly! XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Medical appts. is the one thing that sends me running to bed and pulling all my quilts over my head! I dread them! Wish you luck that all your appts. go smoothly with wonderful outcomes. XOXO I ordered Nine Horses, it's time for me to read some poems. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems the older I get, the more checkups there are! But better to get them done than put them off like I did during covid. I do like your green socks. I was just thinking yesterday that I hardly ever knit with green, and your socks are bright and cheery. Like Kat said, I bet today will go quickly since you are so busy. Hope it all goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a huge reading list.

    Hope all goes well at the mammo place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The socks and cowl both look great. I'm still knitting away on my Portage which seems to be taking forever, although it could be just because I just finished Mandy's!
    Appointments seem to be like that here too. Everything all at once and then nothing for a few months! I guess it's better than the alternative.
    Take care on your busy, busy day and don't overdo it. I walked 8900 steps yesterday, the most since I had covid and I could sure tell it. I was exhausted. But I need to be ready for those airport sprints. :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. It must be frogging season. I've tried to cast the same pair of socks on 4 times with no luck. I'm going to try a nap before I try again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful colors in your new projects! My annual round of medical appoints has started,too. Last week I had a mammogram; next week is the dentist.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I mostly wear cowls and find them the easiest to wear and the most comfortable. Lovely little sock start and you really are doing all the doctor things!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you for getting all that pesky medical stuff taken care of this month. I love the green of those socks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you get a clean bill of health at all your appointments! I didn't read Middlemarch until just a few years ago but really loved it, though it is a long book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That Simply Scrappy Cowl looks like so much fun to knit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like that green! Still hoping to get to that fiber store, even if I don't buy anything.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh the round of medical appointments. Seems like I finish and then it's almost time to begin again. The cowl will be really pretty in those colors. I like the green sock. Maybe you are getting a jump on St. Patrick's Day?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love both the socks and the cowl. Great colors!

    PS. If you like Billy Collins...I surely do...I have a book by him that I love called, 'Sailing Alone Around the Room' that you might also enjoy.

    ReplyDelete