Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Unraveled Wednesday 3/9/22

 Good Morning!

It's a little warmer here this morning (38), but it is grey and damp.  A wintry mix is expected within an hour or two.  And yet Fletch mentioned that it will be warm again tomorrow and he'd like to grill.  Crazy up and down, spin me around weather.

Also, tick season has already begun (or, more likely, never ended).  Fletch has been doing quite a bit of work around the garden - putting up a fence to keep out the rabbits, deer and other creatures (Steve the Beav - our resident groundhog??).  Anyway, he discovered a deer tick on his pants leg the other night.  We gave Mabel a flea & tick treatment so I hope she is safe too.

The news about my brother Ray continues to evolve.  The Penn doctors really don't see the situation as dire as the Delaware doctors did.  The heart surgeon at Penn is ready to replace Ray's mechanical valve if necessary, but it will not be right now.  Instead Ray will be sent home with a pic line and IV antibiotics.  He will have monthly check ups at Penn and CT scans.  Not only will he see the heart surgeon monthly, but also an infectious disease doctor.  Linda is hoping his discharge can happen as early as tomorrow, but we are not sure yet.  They have other things they need to check - like his blood thinner meds (which he has been on since open heart surgery), how the newest/latest antibiotic is working, etc., etc.  Meanwhile, Linda has been camped out at a hotel next to the hospital so that she would not need to commute daily from Delaware.  It's a lot!  I continue to appreciate all your healing vibes and well wishes for Ray.  Thank you so much!

And that brings us to Unraveled Wednesday where I hook up with Kat and her merry band of unravelers to talk making and reading

You already know (if you read my earlier posts this week) that once again there was unravelling, or knitting backwards as I prefer to call it.  I have not yet re-cast on the Hiking Trail socks for Colin.  Soon I will.  I will most likely just do Hermione's Everyday Socks pattern, or a simple rib like I did for Fletcher's Barn Owl socks.

Here is the scene from last night:


Another messy table scene, but such is life.  In front is the new beginning of the Guernsey Wrap by Jared Flood.  This is the one that was completely unraveled the other week.  And, in reading the pattern (what a concept!!) I discovered that what I had knit last year was fine...I was just messing it all up when I started knitting on it again this year.  Distracted much?  Yes, I would say so.  But I believe/hope I am on track now.  That is only the first 8 rows of the wrap, but after taking this picture I ended up on the phone with a friend and literally laughing for 2 hours (very good for the soul).

On the reading side of things, I finished Circling the Sun by Paula McLain and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Much of it was so familiar because many years ago I had read Beryl Markham's memoir West With the Night (highly recommend) and, of course Out of Africa (and the movie - so good).  In the picture above you will see the next two books.  Fletch and I are reading Taste together after dinner and are laughing out loud and enjoying it.  Even reading it AFTER dinner, I still find my mouth watering over the recipes.  I also started The Final Case by David Guterson.  Decades ago I read "Snow Falling on Cedars" (by Guterson) and loved it.  I'm not loving The Final Case.  I'm roughly a third of the way through it and I'll finish it, but I'm anxious to get to some of the other books that recently came through for me at the library.  Fortunately it's not that long a book.

You may have noticed sweet Mabel in the picture above.  Yes she is sprawled on the table - that's how we live.  She was deeply asleep with tail, paws and her mouth periodically twitching.  Deep dreams.  Here is her sweet face.


Daily she is growing more affectionate (and tolerant of me picking her up) and loving.  So happy that we rescued her.

OK, I need to get moving.  Despite the weather forecast, I am headed to the office this morning.  I have some things I need to do and I've arranged to meet up with Christina - a peer - who asked for help navigating the legal data base and learning what she is supposed to do with it (something she should have been taught when she was hired 4-5 years ago!!).  I'm hoping to get in early, do my stuff, meet with Christina at 9 and then blow out of there by 9:30.  I need to stop at Trader Joe's for a few things and the State Store for wine.  And then home again, home again jiggity-jog.

Happy mid-week!  It is good to be on the downward slope to the weekend!

16 comments:

  1. Happy to hear about your brother's progress!
    Mabel is such a cutie. Sleeping kitties are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooof... lots of news about your brother (and honestly, hospitals are infection breeding grounds, so better he is home away from all the germs!) But it sounds like they have a plan and are on top of it!

    And Mabel... so sweet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad your brother is going to have continued antibiotics -- and a good medical team keeping watch. It certainly upends day-to-day life, though, and brings a major perspective shift to all involved! Sending the juju. . .

    I recently finished The Final Case, and I really liked it. BUT . . . it was not really about the case, really. And it wasn't anything like Snow Falling On Cedars. So I can see why it may not be the book for you. I'm glad you and Fletch are enjoying Taste. I think it would be a great read-aloud-together book! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll continue to send all the good and healing thoughts to Ray, Linda, and you. I hope some of your distraction has been taken care of, and some wine, a phone call full of laughs, and a simple sock may help. Taste sounds like a great read-aloud, especially after dinner and maybe re-reading Snow Falling on Cedars might be more enjoyable than The Final Case. I hope it's a short day in the office!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mabel is a darling and I'm glad she found her way to you both. Sounds like your brother is in good hands and hopefully he will be better sooner :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sweet cat. She looks so soft and cuddly in repose. While both my behemoths love to cuddle, they each resist being picked up.

    I started Snow...Cedars ages ago when it first came out and I was defeated by that book. It was probably the very first book I ever (guiltily) did not finish. Perhaps I should try it again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you found the perfect cat for your home!
    That wrap is going to be lovely.
    Glad to hear your brother has a plan in front of him. Still some unknowns but a plan none-the-less! Sending lots of good juju to him!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like some good news about Ray and I'm sure has relieved everyone's minds a lot. I'll keep on praying for continued healing.
    I love that picture of Mabel. Her cute, cute little paws. We had a feral cat that adopted us when we moved to Spokane. After a couple of years, she finally got to the point where Mandy and I could pick her up but none of the male members of the family were allowed to. I always wondered if she had been abused by a man.
    Take care and I hope you have a short, short morning at work.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of good news! Sounds like a very logical and responsible plan is in place for your brother, and I hope he gets sprung soon so he can continue his recovery at home. And Mabel is looking as sweet as always -- look at those toe beans!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a good report on Ray! He will rest better home! The socks will be a nice go-to knit; Mabel is beautiful on your table or anywhere else!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure getting to go home will be a huge improvement in Ray's outlook and I hope that happens soon and that the plan for continued monitoring works well. Mabel is so cute and we let Fred and George hang on the table, too. I draw the line at the kitchen counter, though, something they seem unable to understand!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mabel is adorable. I did not see her in the first photo until you mentioned it. Happy to hear of Ray’s progress and that his care team is planning a close follow up. Prayers for a complete recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't believe that the ticks are active so soon. As guess those warms days brought them out of hibernation (or whatever it is ticks do).

    So glad to hear Ray is going home soon. Even with all the things he has to do, it's better than being IN the hospital.

    I didn't even notice Mabel on the Table (oh hey --- it rhymes. LOL) until you pointed her out. She is SUCH A CUTIE!!!! I'm glad you rescued her too. She found her perfect people.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad that there is better news about your brother. Your sister-in-law must be exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All sounds like it is moving in the right direction with your brother. Thanks for the Mabel picture! When we had cats, we never minded them on the table, although tried to keep them off if company was over! But I certainly heard about it (third hand) from my MIL!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read all the news about your brother with concern. It does sound like he is in capable medical hands. I hope he is home sooner rather than later. Taste sounds like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete