Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Unraveled Wednesday 3-16-22

 Hello and Good Morning,

How are you?  I'm ok despite not sleeping all that well.  I think today is supposed to be sunny, but right now it is still pretty dark out there, so hard to tell.  It's mild though - just under 40 and I was way too hot last night.  The flannel sheets are coming off the bed today!  I almost did that last week when I washed them, but ended up putting them back on (and was glad I did with Saturday's wintry weather).

So, here we are mid-week and it's time as usual to link up with Kat and her Merry Band of Unravelers to talk knitting and making of all kinds as well as reading.  After my prior two weeks of backwards knitting I'm happy to say there has been none of that this week.  Of course there has not been all that much knitting either!

First up we have the cuff of the first sock in the Hiking Trail colorway.  This is the 3rd (and hopefully final) time to knit this cuff.  


I spent an inordinate amount of time thinking about what pattern to use and looking at patterns (thus, not much knitting).  Then I remembered that the yarn has already spoken (quite loudly) and it just wants to be plain.  I don't want just plain-plain, so I think I will K6P2 around.  That's what I did for Fletch's Barn Owl socks and he loves the way they feel.

Next up is the re-start of the Guernsey Wrap - this is the one I started a year ago and then ripped it out a couple of weeks back.


I do love this color for the wrap.  It is KnitPicks Wool of the Andes and the color is Mink Heather.  Obviously I have a long way to go on this one, but at least I've started it again.

On the reading front, I finished The Final Case by David Guterson.  I loved "Snow Falling on Cedars" when that came out in the mid-90's.  This book?  Not so much.  It was a tough read - child abuse and bigotry are not prime topics for me.  And yes, there was more to the story than that, but still, those things made it tough for me.

I also read Nobody Will Tell You This But Me and loved it.  It is Bess Kalb's memoir of her grandmother.  A very quick and enjoyable read.

Yesterday I started The Island of Missing Trees by Elif Shafak and am already wrapped up in it.  The writing is just so good!

This morning I have a couple of errands to run.  We need stamps (yes, we still use snail mail quite a bit). and then I'm running up to our accountant's office to drop off our signed e-filing papers and pay the bill.  Once that's done, our taxes will be e-filed.  Hopefully work will remain calm.

Tomorrow is my heavy report day for work and I am also having the MRI of my back at 8 a.m.  I'm anxious to have that done and then hear from my doctor.  So, if I post, it probably will not be till later in the day.  Have a great Wednesday!

15 comments:

  1. I almost got through the gusset decreases on my sock last night during our discussion! :)

    I need to find a skein of yarn to make a pair of Hermoine socks. I have never knit that pattern!

    (and you are the second person to talk about The Island Of Missing Trees today!)

    Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED The Island of Missing Trees! And I think socks with ribbing fit the best . . . even though they're not all that exciting to knit. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think plain ribbed socks are the way to go with that yarn -- sometimes the yarn just needs to do the talking! I'm working with some busy yarn right now, and it's going to be plain stockinette.

    I hope the MRI gives your doctor some useful information.

    I really loved Bess Kalb's book (I listen to the audio, which she reads) and also really want to read The Island of Missing Trees! Right now I'm slowly working my way through The Arsonists' City, which is good, but reading time has been limited.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you for listening to the yarn and hearing what it had to say! I think you'll be much happier in the long run. My fingers are crossed that the MRI says that you are healing. I'm at Ryan's all day because he's having a shed delivered and I brought my Kindle so I can (hopefully) finish Island. I agree; it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Off to check out The Island of Missing Trees. (Not that I don't already have a pile of TBR...!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes a yarn wants to be what it wants to be.

    Good luck with the MRI. Hope all comes out clear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I did the PO run yesterday! The yarn will be gorgeous in that rib-great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yarn's gotta be what yarn's gotta be! Good start on the shawl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm trying (and failing) to learn sock knitting! Need some tips!
    Jillx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did the same thing with my flannel sheets! I think they will come off this Friday! I loved Island of Missing Trees.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm praying that the MRI shows all is well and you'll have no more issues.
    The shawl and socks are going to be great. I've often thought of knitting the Guernsey Wrap but have never done it.
    Mom and I did our grocery shopping this morning and oh my! The prices have sky-rocketed again in the past week. Scary times ahead.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Flannel sheets - I love them! One night last week, I considered taking the off, but colder temperatures have returned. I hope your MRI goes well and your doctor gets back to you quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your projects! I think plain socks, with just a bit of ribbing, are the best to knit AND wear!

    Good luck on your MRI today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope the socks are a - go. I just looked at the Guernsey Wrap pattern and am happy to know about it. I received an advent yarn set of DK weight yarn and have been waiting to find just the right pattern. I hope the MRI goes well and you get good information. I may skip The Final Case also.

    ReplyDelete