Monday, March 21, 2022

Goodness Gracious Snakes Alive!

 Good Morning Friends,

You all know where this post is going just from the title!  Yikes!!

Friday was a gorgeous day.  One of my conference calls had been cancelled and I really was finished work by lunch time.  After lunch I ventured out in search of some new bras.  That's a whole other story that I won't go into, but what a PITA!  I came home and found Fletch raking out the dead stuff from the flower bed alongside the driveway.  Mabel was nosing around the patio - supposedly finding another vole or mouse.  I went inside to put some things away and when I next looked out, Mabel was batting at a snake on the patio.  It was a garter snake, but that doesn't matter.  A snake is a snake and one does NOT belong on my patio!  I yelled for Fletch who ignored me and then the snake crawled away between the trash can and a yard waste bag.  My guess is that Fletch disturbed it when he was raking out the driveway bed.

Saturday was a gorgeous day.  Rain had been in the forecast, but that didn't happen till the evening.  Dee and I met up for some much needed (on my part, anyway) girl time - sipping coffee, chatting and doing a little knitting.  After coming home, I sat on the patio a bit listening to birds.  I went back inside to do something and the next thing I know Fletch is walking across the backyard and going down the trail into our woods.  I can see him go partway down the trail until it became too muddy to walk and I see him toss something into the woods.  You guessed it - a snake!  And, it had been right underneath the chair I sit in!  30 minutes or so later, we are ready to sit outside with our beverages before dinner and Fletch finds ANOTHER snake on the patio.  You just know there have to be more.  And I am not amused or happy.

The nature stories don't end there.  Sunday morning I was fixing breakfast for us (bacon, sausage, fried eggs and toast) and I noticed some grease from cooking the sausage had splattered out of the pan.  I wipe it up and discover a deer tick on the cloth I used to wipe.  Yup - a deer tick on my stove!  I've been itching and scratching ever since.  I'm sure it's one that Mabel brought in.  We have treated her with flea & tick medication, but I have found over the years that ticks still get on the animals...they just don't burrow down and dig in and bite.  I have a feeling it's going to be a long season!

So that was my weekend!  How was yours?  

Last night I re-discovered a gift someone had sent me at Christmas.


A nesting globe filled with alpaca fiber!  We will be hanging this soon - probably somewhere in the apple tree where we can see what's happening.  Birds are definitely singing their spring mating songs, so it won't be long till they are building nests and getting ready to raise their chicks.

I wasn't sure last night about going to the office, but I think I will do that today.  I have some things to ship to my brother Ray and my SIL in Delaware.  I also need to stop at CVS and a grocery store to pick up some cat food (Mabel is consuming food like there is no tomorrow!).  I should be able to get in and out quickly at the office and then be on my way for various errands.

Let's all have a great start to the week (with no signs of more snakes).

17 comments:

  1. The snakes have woken up early this year! I'll have to be on the watch now too I suppose. We found some pretty close to the house last year. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frodo used to go at the garter snakes at our old house. I don't know which one was more stubborn!! So far I haven't seen a snake but we got a bazillion chipmunks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh ugh! Snakes... the one thing I absolutely despise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a terrible phobia of snakes. Those incidences might have ended my patio sitting for quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just reading about the snakes is giving me the willies -- ick! I have only seen a snake in my yard once and it was enough for a lifetime for me! I hope today brings significantly fewer interactions with wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snakes and ticks are right at the top of my phobia list - right after spiders! Happy that you and Dee had a nice visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes ...........so many snakes. Good thing you have Mabel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw three snakes sunning themselves at different locations along on our walk yesterday, but none of them were on my patio! I hope the wildlife stays outdoors and far away this week. I saw a bird nest in our neighbor's tree that has pieces of a plastic bag woven into it, but alpaca fiber would be much nicer. I hope some of the birds use it and you get to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There has been a lot of bird action the last few days - mostly the doves and the cardinals here.
    We just started seeing robins, and I had a little woodpecker bopping up the tree outside my office the other day.

    No snakes here, but I thought I heard some toads the other night (it was a REALLY warm day that day). Burton can't wait for them to come back to the catio

    ReplyDelete
  10. Birds are definitely up and about around here. I haven't seen snakes yet, but the two rock walls in our backyard are home to them so I'm sure they'll soon be slithering around. I detest snakes but ticks are worse. Ick!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh. I hate snakes. Once a tiny garter snake got into the house and UNDER THE FLOORBOARDS (because someone hadn't finished with the trim) and I made that someone come home from work and get the snake out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No snakes or ticks here, thankfully, but we sure do have lots and lots of rain. Nice that you and Dee can get together; I sure miss seeing her.
    We do have lots of spring flowers appearing, and I am very happy to see them. Happy Spring, and I hope you don't see any more snakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. yikes to the snakes! Hope you don't get any more of them!
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have gotten used to having snakes (garter) in my garden, but I'd rather they just stay well hidden. I'm always so startled when they move! And, ugh. The ticks. I hate finding them way more than snakes . . .

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ticks are the worst and where I live they are SO prevalent and Lyme is considered an epidemic. I'm surprised I don't see more snakes in my yard/garden but I'm happy about it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm with Kym, I dislike the ticks more than garter snakes. However, I'd just as soon they slither away and do their thing further out in the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would not like to share my patio chair space with a snake! Unfortunately there might be a few more before it's over.

    ReplyDelete