Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Unraveled Wednesday 3/2/22

 Good Morning!

I am feeling lazy this morning.  I was up at 4 a.m. to let Mabel out and fell promptly back to sleep until I heard crows calling at 6:30.  I do enjoy crows, so that was a welcome sound and when I looked out the window there were half a dozen in a dead tree in the neighbor's yard.

Yesterday was a mixed bag.  Many frustrations on the work side of life (people not responding...or responding with ridiculous answers that obviously don't make sense).  But, making up for that was the arrival of Mailing and Bonnie (her Mom) for dinner!  Zhongren was traveling and could not join us.  Mailing is here for a week - working in her old office, attending a retirement party for a colleague on Friday afternoon and picking up a few things from their house that they forgot to take to Austin.  It was so good to see her again (and Bonnie!).  My back was pretty tired by the time they left.  Between grocery shopping in the morning and then cooking a lot in the afternoon, I think I was on my feet for too much of the day.  I plan to take it easy today and (hopefully) book a pedicure appointment for later this morning or afternoon.

Well, let's talk knitting on this Unraveled Wednesday.  As usual, I am linking up with Kat and the others who make up the Band of Merry Unravelers.  As I mentioned in my post the other day, quite a bit of backwards knitting (i.e., unraveling...but somehow backwards knitting sounds more productive!) took place here over the weekend.  After I finished Fletcher's Terrarium Socks I decided to pick up a neglected project or two.  Last year I started Guernsey Wrap by Jared Flood at the beginning of May.  I got perhaps 40-50 rows into it before putting it aside when I was distracted by other projects.  Saturday I started knitting on it again and had completed another 10 rows or so when I realized the borders were completely different.  I don't know what I did almost a year ago or what I did on Saturday, but after staring at it and the pattern for 45 minutes I gave up and ripped everything out!

Next up, I picked up Wintertide Shawl by Beatrice Perron Dahlen, another project that I started last May and then abandoned (yes, I am a Magpie - easily distracted by the next shiny or yarny object!!).  That piece didn't have as many rows and I read through the pattern again and started knitting and discovered that I had the wrong number of stitches on the needles.  Oy!  I ripped that all back to the beginning.

Then Mary posted and mentioned This Pattern which immediately slipped into my cart and which prompted me to go through my stash.  Whew!  I found things I had forgotten I had, but I'm pretty sure I have the yarn for this new shawl.  The question is do I start that?  Or do I go back to Wintertide?  Or Guernsey Wrap?  My inquiring mind wants to know - LOL.

Of course, one needs socks on the needles at all times.  I have not started a pair yet, but believe the next ones will be in this yarn:


This yarn was purchased at the NJ Sheep & Wool Festival last year.  It is by Kim Dyes Yarn and the colorway is Hiking Trail.  Perfect for Colin!  It is an 80/20 blend and I have been looking at this book


In the hopes of creating something different.  See all the sticky notes in the book?  Lots of gorgeous and fun patterns.  I'm leaning towards the one called "Lizard" simply because before moving to Texas, Colin told Fletch he was looking forward to his "lizard-self" making an appearance (i.e., basking in the sun).  I did practice the stitch a bit - the right twist is easy, the left one is a little more difficult for me, but I will persist.  Hoping to cast these on today.

If you are still with me, let me briefly talk about reading.  Fletch and I finished reading Shady Hollow after dinner.  This is the book with one of the characters named Vera Vixen!  Certainly not great literature, but a fun read and we found ourselves laughing out loud at times (despite it being a murder mystery).  I had to pass on "The Guncle" - I just could not finish it and it was past due at the library.  In the beginning of the book I was enjoying the writing and found it pretty funny, but it seemed to get more repetitive and trite, so I quit.  I am reading Circling the Sun and am enjoying it quite a bit.  At times it feels as though I've already read this book (I'm pretty sure I have not), but I think that is because I have read so much about Beryl Markham, Karen Blixen and Denys Finch Hatton.  I'm in queue for several books that show they "are on the way" to my library for me, so I'd best get reading!

This has certainly turned into a long winded post.  Time for me to pour another cup of coffee and strap myself in to do a bit of work.  May this Wednesday be a good one for you all.

14 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear the knitting has been so frustrating for you. I hope everything gets back on track -- surely socks will do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it's good to return to neglected projects, see if you can pick them up, frog them if you can't, and give the stash a toss. I Hope you've cleared out the cobwebs and a pattern and/or yarn speaks to you. Socks will surely help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so much more fun to plan new projects than it is to start them. I've got nothing very interesting on the needles now and no will to actually start something but I am enjoying looking at patterns. I am missing having an old project to pick up and work on. Socks don't count. I've still got so many left from last year's gift box stuffing that I feel guilty knitting anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am enjoying looking through patterns and books to organize for the future knitting. I think the twisted stitches looks promising! (Have you ever watched the BritCrime show Vera--if you like Shetland, you will like this-I watch it on YouTube.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the shawl on the cover of the book.

    I think Guernsey Wrap is pretty, but not sure how practical it is. For all that work, would you wear it much?

    The new sock could keep you busy until you decided.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you are getting a visit in and I hope you get your pedicure today! I think we've all been tempted by new and shiny projects and yarn on occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed Circling the Sun, and like you much was familiar. Rest your back today by knitting on the new socks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun to have visitors! Take care of your back please!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes it is good to just dump out the project bags and decide either to go on or to abandon projects. I am a big fan of if I'm not enjoying it or now don't like it to frog. It sounds as if you are doing just that. Rest and take care of your back. I enjoyed Circling the Sun. Beryl Markham wrote her own story, "West With the Night." I had read that as well as Out of Africa so it was familiar to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How nice to see DIL and her mom. Sounds like your back is a little better which is good, hope it continues.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find that my neglected projects . . . were usually neglected for a reason. It's good to clear the decks sometimes, and free ourselves up for new projects -- like that SSP shawl (which I'm stash-digging for, too). :-) So glad you get to spend some time with Mailing! Such a treat when "the kids" are living far away. Be gentle with yourself! XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have several projects that I have unearthed recently. Some are most certainly going to be frogged. Some are in limbo currently, while I contemplate them a bit longer. But Kym is right... projects that fall off the radar are not likely ones I will finish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you remember when unknitting was called "tinking"? I'm working on a shawl right now, and it seems that I've done a bit of frogging on each section! Love that new yarn! Ravelry helps me track my WIPs, that's for sure. (And there are way too many of them!;>) )

    ReplyDelete
  14. my knitting has been meh this week, I'm blaming the recovery from the virus. I hope I am enthusiastic this week!

    ReplyDelete